what are the 2 most powerful moments you've seen on tv?????

prime for me is president lyndon johnson's speech in 1968 announcing that he would not stand for reelection.

think of that--a man putting his country above his personal goals.

i don't expect that EVER to happen again in this country.

the 1963 sunday morning shooting of lee harvey oswalt by jack ruby is a close second.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no contest w/ the 1st most powerful: the 2nd plane hitting the tower. watched it live. it was, and will always be, one of the most horrifying and surreal moments of my life.

2nd most powerful: can't think of one right now. the first one counts for both maybe...

Edited by thedwork

no contest w/ the 1st most powerful: the 2nd plane hitting the tower. watched it live. it was, and will always be, one of the most horrifying and surreal moments of my life.

2nd most powerful: can't think of one right now. the first one counts for both maybe...

i was in a warehouse with no tv on 9-11, but heard it more or less live, strangely on sporting news radio, from the much maligned jay marrioti, who summoned great quantities of class, reassurance, and understanding. when i hear jay blasted, it hurts me.....

1) I don't care what Jay Mariotti managed to do on 9-11. Every other day of his professional life he's proven himself a world-class asshole and deserves every bit of abuse he ever receives.

2) LBJ didn't put his country's interest over his own! He recognized the reality that he couldn't win and bowed out to avoid a huge loss.

no contest w/ the 1st most powerful: the 2nd plane hitting the tower. watched it live.

Saw that when I got to the office--we were next to the trading division which had a big-screen TV. A bit earlier I saw the first tower in flames live from the subway on the Manhattan bridge.

In a slightly different vein, summer of '73, the summer between h.s. & college, I was glued to the TV for the Watergate hearings.

2) LBJ didn't put his country's interest over his own! He recognized the reality that he couldn't win and bowed out to avoid a huge loss.

Indeed.

Number one for me is definitely the 2nd plane hitting the tower on 9/11, just like thedwork. I was watching it with my mother.

Number two: The North Hollywood bank robbery.

Others that come to mind:

The Challenger exploding. I was in grade school and they had it on live on TVs in every classroom.

The LA riots, including the Reginald Denny assault.

The stolen tank chase in San Diego.

Hank Gathers collapsing.

You won't believe this list that was on the Washington Post earlier this summer. Wow! Of course this raised a lot of protests of ageism.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/top-20-all-time-tv-moments/2012/07/11/gJQA4b19cW_gallery.html

Funny you begin with LBJ's speech declining to run for president. Made a big impression on me. I was pretty young (born in '55) and was not too skeptical of politicians yet. He was bigger than life, probably the biggest president of my lifetime. I remember his speech before Congress asking the country to help him in the days shortly after JFK was shot. Strange that the country hated him because of the war, so to spite him it elected and re-elected a man who escalated it to a far greater degree. Strange times!

strangely, no one mentioned tv helicopters following OJ's vehicle.

the lakers shut their basketball game down, as i recall. that was an absorbing few hours.

another awesome moment was ambassador stevenson confronting his russian counterpart at the UN during the russian missile crisis, clearly his finest moment.

edward r. murrow's cbs person to person did a live session with fidel castro and his young son after the revolution. he came across to me as a really smart neat guy.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Mine was Lee Harvey Oswald's murder- a live murder on TV

Second was Nixon resigning- I turned 18 that year and was able to vote

Close behind were the Watergate hearings- IIRC, it was summertime and I had no summer job, so I watched hours and hours of it and was greatly impressed by Elizabeth Holtzman, who represented my district in the House.

Edited by PHILLYQ

Robert Kennedy's assassination in 1968. I was 19 years old and a student at Lewis & Clark College in Portland, Oregon. I had seen him just a few days before when he made a campaign appearance on campus.

Walter Cronkite sharing the news of John Kennedy's death. I was attending Jesuit High School at the time and I remember like it was yesterday the announcement of the assassination attempt coming over the loudspeaker in our classroom. We were let out of school right afterwards and I had gotten home in time to see Cronkite's announcement.

I was also entranced by the Watergate Hearings. They were underway right before I got my first real job.

and now for something completely different: all the stuff so far has been powerful, but also "important." a very powerful TV moment for me, though basically unimportant, was the final episode of The Sopranos. i'm a big movie/theater/drama person, so for me it was also kinda 'important' in that the arts are important to me and i'd lived w/ that series for quite a few years. i know not everyone dug The Sopranos. and not everyone who did dig The Sopranos dug the ending. but lemme tell you something - for me it was PERFECT. the best television series conclusion ever. very powerful moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqpDxCo2vic

Edited by thedwork

Missed Made in America originally, and now that I see it on reruns they always ruin it. They NEVER let the screen stay blank as long as originally for effect. They rush to credits and commercials. I've seen it ruined twice that way lately. Thanks for this clip!

Edited by Neal Pomea

Missed Made in America originally, and now that I see it on reruns they always ruin it. They NEVER let the screen stay blank as long as originally for effect. They rush to credits and commercials. I've seen it ruined twice that way lately.

thats's painful. criminal even. sorry to hear it...

edit: you're welcome :)

Edited by thedwork

What about top sports moments in memory? I would even venture to guess Miracle on Ice and Nadia Comenici's 10s should be up there in Olympics history. And Jim McKay reporting on the Israeli athletes gone to terrorists. And Tommy Smith, John Carlos in Mexico City, of course.

Edited by Neal Pomea

What about top sports moments in memory? I would even venture to guess Miracle on Ice and Nadia Comenici's 10s should be up there in Olympics history. And Jim McKay reporting on the Israeli athletes gone to terrorists.

yeah. i thought of Munich as well, but i was too young to really remember it.

and now for something completely different: all the stuff so far has been powerful, but also "important." a very powerful TV moment for me, though basically unimportant, was the final episode of The Sopranos. i'm a big movie/theater/drama person, so for me it was also kinda 'important' in that the arts are important to me and i'd lived w/ that series for quite a few years. i know not everyone dug The Sopranos. and not everyone who did dig The Sopranos dug the ending. but lemme tell you something - for me it was PERFECT. the best television series conclusion ever. very powerful moment:

I came to The Sopranos late in the game. I had tried it on for size several times, but I always gave up. It just seemed like too big an investment. Then a couple of years ago, we rented the entire first season and started watching it again. This time it clicked. Ended up mainlining the entire series in about a month. I'm a huge fan of Mad Men and I loved Six Feet Under but I still think The Sopranos is the best thing that's ever been on television. Loved the last episode. It couldn't have ended any better or more appropriately.

Edited by Dave James

Trivial, but I remember them well:

1) Tiny Tim's wedding.

2) The Beatles on Ed Sullivan.

I was home sick and watching television on CBS as I recall (I think the show was Monty Hall's Video Village) when Walter Cronkite came on to say that JFK had been shot. No word at that time that the wound was fatal.

Neil Armstrong stepping out onto the lunar surface was the most important, but for some reason not the most interesting. I think I was very tired!

In regard to politics, I remember Nixon's resignation speech; and also the three women from the office at the Clarence Thomas hearings, all of whom supported Clarence Thomas and opposed Anita Hill.

My sisters remember Pinky Lee having a heart attack on the air. They say I was watching it with them, but I don't remember it.

Edited by GA Russell

Definitely watching the second plane hit as it happened.

On a lighter note, watching as a kid (on Australian television), Evel Knievel trying to jump the Snake River Canyon in a rocket. He didn't make it and I thought he died. Then it turned out he was OK :rolleyes:

Edited by freelancer

As far as see it as it happened:

Lee Harvey Oswald's shooting by Jack Ruby ( watching with my Dad).

The Democrat Convention Chicago Riots.

The 1st Moon walks, that I remember watching late at night. Didn't see the landing. Very surreal at the time, or maybe it was the acid.