OK hipsters, be honest. Who amongst you knew of Rodriguez

robertoart

Wow! Had no idea about this film (since I see, maybe, a movie or two a year).

Is this supposed to be about Sixto's life?

Classic album:

081501.jpg

Yes, it's just screening in the US now I believe. It seems the director has made the doco around the theme of Rodriguez's obscurity in the US, and that he (Rodriguez) was unaware of his own popularity in South Africa and Australia. I haven't seen the doco, so they have maybe taken some creative licence with the story a bit - for a wider audience. But Rodriguez was very popular in Australia in the Seventies (I was just a kid but knew of his music). He toured here then a few times I think. The cd re-issues from about ten years ago made him popular in Australia again. I never tire of hearing these songs.

Edited by freelancer

Thanks for the info. "Coming from Reality" is another good one from the early 70's.

Being in Australia, you probably knew of his rare live album.

Strange, it was presented in limited edition there,

but I was able to snag a copy while working for a distributor here in the States.

I guess this film and the Ai Weiwei film will be the two I see this year.

I had never heard of him until the Sugar Man film began to generate some buzz. I downloaded his two early '70's albums the other day. I would highly recommend both of them. There's a Dylan-esque quality to his songs and his style. Makes me wonder if that's part of the reason he never caught on. He strikes me as unusually talented. He has a very interesting voice and his songs radiate some grit and substance. I'm planning to see the movie. His is definitely one of the better "better late than never" stories I've yet to come across.

Edited by Dave James

I saw the first album when it came out (was it on a Buddah label?), but never heard it and it sank without a trace soon after. There were tons of ignorable albums released in those days. I'm amazed at what gets reissued on CD...hard to believe anyone heard them when they first came out.

The first two LPs were on Sussex, but later were distributed by Buddah <sic>.

Probably one of the greatest Sussex LPs was the Live Bill Withers double.

Lean On Me was on that label too.

Sixto's Australian LPs were on Blue Goose (not the "Yazoo" Blue Goose).

Rodriguez would pull a "Miles" onstage and play with his back to the audience,

so that may have not helped his career. :g

I've often wondered how his records would've sounded if he had

had David Axelrod as his arranger and producer.

• 1 month later...

Heard Rodriguez was featured on 60 Minutes last night.

Anyone else seen the documentary yet. Rostasi?

I saw it last night. Would be interesting to hear opinions.

The producer tried to frame Motown's Clarence Avant as the potential source of Rodriguez's missing South African Apartheid era royalties.

As well as overlooking his substantial Aus/NZ success - for the sake of the sensationalist narrative I guess.

I thought when it focussed on Rodriguez himself, and his family and music- it was very moving.

Edited by freelancer

The producer tried to frame Motown's Clarence Avant as the potential source of Rodriguez's missing South African Apartheid era royalties.

As well as overlooking his substantial Aus/NZ success - for the sake of the sensationalist narrative I guess.

I thought when it focussed on Rodriguez himself, and his family and music- it was very moving.

i was surprised that 60 Minutes mentioned nothing about Avant and the missing royalties.

Haven't seen it yet...mostly due to being busy and not in tune with

local movie schedules. It's an accomplishment to get me inside a

movie theater. I think I missed the Ai Weiwei film that I wanted to

see too, but I'll probably pick them up when they hit DVD.

---

Now playing: Ida May Mack - Good-Bye Rider

Well. I think you'll all enjoy the doco.

Just gotta put up with those bloody South Africans :D

Please report back with opinions if anyone feels so inclined :)

The doco's getting a good run over here at one of our independent inner city cinemas.

I expect it's attracting good audiences through a combination of young-interested cinema goers, and Rodriguez's significant Aus/NZ baby boomer fan base.

I got to see the US 60 Minutes profile, which was also very moving. It showed how frail and fragile Rodriguez is at 70, in ways the documentary possibly didn't.

Edited by freelancer

i was surprised that 60 Minutes mentioned nothing about Avant and the missing royalties.

i don't believe the above is a fair statement. he asked the obvious questions of Clarence, who was extremely rude and uncooperative.

i don't believe the above is a fair statement. he asked the obvious questions of Clarence, who was extremely rude and uncooperative.

Yes, that is true. Clarence Avant (as far as what was shown), did nothing to clarify the matter, whether he had anything to hide or not. I would add though, that there seemed to be a sub-text that South Africa took royalties which made the way to the US but not to Rodriguez. This may or may not be true. So the question remains, did the initial releases sell in South Africa - or were the subsequent South African releases 'bootlegs' or official contractual re-issues - with a money chain back to Rodriguez? And all this in the context of Apartheid era South Africa. However, perhaps the film-maker was in possession of facts or accusations that we as viewers were not able to be made aware of. What would be interesting, is to know what happened in Australia. The albums would have made a fair amount of money out here, and were probably being re-pressed to meet a steady ongoing demand right through the Seventies, and Rodriguez was touring here then, so it wasn't as if he was the invisible man. So if those Royalties got back to Rodriguez, it would raise a question mark as to why the South African money didn't.

• 4 months later...

I saw the documentary when it played NY this past autumn. I recommend it. It's a heartwarming story and Rodriguez comes across as a humble, unaffected guy. In a recent Time magazine interview he seemed exactly the same: like he could care less about fame. Still living in the same spare house in Detroit and probably doing construction jobs. The music wasn't my thing exactly, but I went for the story---and I dug where his songs were coming from politically. It's anyone's guess why they didn't resonate in the US back then. Overcrowded market, I suspect.

Maybe with the accolades over the film he will at least collect past due royalties now.

It's worth watching/listening to the commercially released DVD just for the commentary track. In the film Rodriguez seems a bit of an idiot savant but in the commentary you realize that he is just laconic and really smart. The director keeps trying to put words in his month and Rodriguez doesn't let him.

It's worth watching/listening to the commercially released DVD just for the commentary track. In the film Rodriguez seems a bit of an idiot savant but in the commentary you realize that he is just laconic and really smart. The director keeps trying to put words in his month and Rodriguez doesn't let him.

Interesting. He didn't seem an idiot savant to me at all in the film, just sort of pristine and unmoved by all the fuss. He had gotten over it (lack of commercial success, etc.) years ago and seemed happy with his working-class life and the family he'd raised.