Milestones (Jack Chambers)

Actually, I went to "grammar school" (I don't know if there's an American equivalent)

In the U.S. we pretty much use the terms "grammar school," "elementary school," and "primary school," interchangeably to refer to grades 1 through 5 or 6. We don't have the same distinctions as Europe or even Canada.

In the Netherlands grammar school is a higher-level secondary school. In my time we had primary school for ages 6-12 (grades 1-6) and various secondary-level schools for ages 12 and up, with grammar school (6 grades) being the highest level before university. It's all changed now, but grammar school (called "gymnasium") is still the highest secondary-level school here.

Edited by J.A.W.

He did a convincing job explaining his views to me. And like him or hate him one thing Stanley is NOT is silly. He's a big boy and doesn't need me to defend him-nor do I care to. But let's face it-he's an EFFECTIVE writer, or he wouldn't piss people off. Anyway I told him when we met I diragreed about Miles. A very civil discussion ensued wherein he not only backed up his views w/comments from Mile's band re his motives for playing that kind of music. Stanley was mainly drug about Miles' disingenuouessness. He said almost these exact words: 'I got no problem w/going for the money, just be HONEST about it'.

Like him or hate him, silly is as silly does. Why should anyone spill so much ink and blow so much hot air about Miles's motives? Why not follow Dizzy's advice and just let the music speak for itself?

Let me also add that every minute wasted reading Chambers's commentary on the 80s music would be better reading Paul Tingen's writing on the same subject.

Except that when I read Tingen's book which was a couple of years ago, I was surprised at how critical he is of Miles's electric period. For a guy who supposedly champions this era, read what he says in the details about a number of the electric works and you will note how unflattering his descriptions are. There is a thread about this which I started I believe.

Did anyone here see the documentary Electric Miles? I went to a screening at Lincoln Center Cinema when it opened. The filmmaker was there w/a panel of musicians and a critic. I remember Airto, Dave Leibman, and that silly writer Francis Davis (what the hell was Terry Gross thinking?). I don't think Stanley C. was there, except sort of in effigy (; , since they were all sort of ganging up on any writer that was against fusion Miles. I remember Airto strongly stating that to judge Miles then by 'jazz' standards since he wasn't playing it was wrongheaded and lame. Pretty interesting event, and as one might guess the audience had plenty of questions.

Let me also add that every minute wasted reading Chambers's commentary on the 80s music would be better reading Paul Tingen's writing on the same subject.

Except that when I read Tingen's book which was a couple of years ago, I was surprised at how critical he is of Miles's electric period. For a guy who supposedly champions this era, read what he says in the details about a number of the electric works and you will note how unflattering his descriptions are. There is a thread about this which I started I believe.

He is critical in parts* and that's what makes it a worthwhile book rather than a hagiography. But unlike Crouch, he actually attempts to engage with and understand this music. There's nothing wrong with being a critic, but maybe they should do their homework first.

*And made me question his sanity when he said bad things about "Mademoiselle Mabry" and "Pharoah's Dance". :)

Did anyone here see the documentary Electric Miles? I went to a screening at Lincoln Center Cinema when it opened. The filmmaker was there w/a panel of musicians and a critic. I remember Airto, Dave Leibman, and that silly writer Francis Davis (what the hell was Terry Gross thinking?). I don't think Stanley C. was there, except sort of in effigy (; , since they were all sort of ganging up on any writer that was against fusion Miles. I remember Airto strongly stating that to judge Miles then by 'jazz' standards since he wasn't playing it was wrongheaded and lame. Pretty interesting event, and as one might guess the audience had plenty of questions.

Francis Davis vs. Stanley Crouch - tough choice (for me) :shrug[1]::tophat::ph34r: