Dick Katz

romualdo

Right, H. Danko is a fine musician per se, I just choose not to support Scientology anything... If any of ya'll have spent much time in or near Clearwater, Florida, you might understand why... William S. Burroughs and Paul Metcalf (read Waters of Potowmack for starters) both dabbled in Scientology in the 1950s but, between 'em, they checked out everything and shucked it... Hopefully that's the case w/ H. Danko & Lee too.

R. Danko "Java Blues" (lyrics by Emmett Grogan) >>>> anything Band + Allen Toussaint

Edited by MomsMobley

FWIW, my twin brother studied with Danko at Eastman within the last 10-13 years and says Scientology never came up in any conversation or any context, even casually. My brother was not aware of any previous connection to Scientology, not that he (Danko) might not have been into it at some point.

Coda 1: I've always really liked Danko's work. In addition to several of the Steeplchase records with Rich Perry that Larry alludes to, I can recommend the duet record with Kirk Lightsey, "Shorter By Two" (Wayne Shorter rep) http://www.amazon.com/Shorter-By-Two-Harold-Danko/dp/B0000035XG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348601968&sr=8-1&keywords=harold+danko+and+kirk+lightsey

He also sounds good on the late '70s Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Quartet date on Artist House -- though the real reason to get this is Thad, who sounds fantastic. So original, so fresh, so alive, so witty.

Coda 2. Konitz addresses Scientology in the "Conversations" book, starting on page 1997 http://books.google.com/books?id=pc4CsgVHLw0C&pg=PA197&lpg=PA197&dq=konitz+and+scientology&source=bl&ots=g54RIIclgv&sig=ArE12xM8_ei94m2dRQ2YT8pMWGA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jA1iUObjJ4mo0AGIq4DgDA&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=konitz%20and%20scientology&f=false

Edited by Mark Stryker