Space Shuttle Retirement

Adam

There were a hundred or so of us on the roof at work, where it looped around Universal, giving us a great view, but my wife reports that it flew directly over our house, startling her enough to drop her camera. The kids were pulled out of their classrooms to watch it fly overhead at their school as well. Really neat to see much of the city come to a standstill so that everyone could see this, making it a wonderfully communal experience.

My late grandpa, in the last part of his career, worked on the first two space shuttles. I remember, when staying with my grandparents as a boy, seeing the Enterprise being driven through the town he lived in. It was so cool!

It's very bittersweet for me to see the shuttle program end. It's the end of an era. It's hard to believe that 43 years after Neil Armstrong walked on the moon, we have no manned space program. :(

I don't know how sad it is. There have been a number of spectacular robotic missions over the last decade or two. Not the least of which have been trips to Saturn, various Mars rovers, and the Hubble.

...and it flew over the Capitol Bldg in Austin yesterday as well:

628x471.jpg

Nice! Right over Congress St!

The robotic missions are practical, necessary, and relatively cheap, but they lack the emotional and spiritual gravitas of a human mission. It's as if Hillary operated a drone to the top of Everest.

I don't know your age, but I remember a distinct lack of emotional and spiritual gravitas to moon landings after the first 2-3. I think the biggest news was when Alan Shepard launched a golf ball in one of the later missions [yawn].

Hard to get too sentimental over the Shuttles, actually. 'Cargo ships' typically don't leave a lot of romantic memories.

Having said all that, I did enjoy today's flyover.

I don't know your age, but I remember a distinct lack of emotional and spiritual gravitas to moon landings after the first 2-3. I think the biggest news was when Alan Shepard launched a golf ball in one of the later missions [yawn].

Yeah, I was a space nut growing up, and my memories are mainly of frustration when people just quit caring.