The Nut Inside A PEach Pit

JSngry

Me, not routinely, but when I do eat a peach & the pit is split open & I see the nut inside, I will eat it, as it's got a quite nice peachy/almondy flavor to it.

Just wondering if there was any segment of the world where this was a thing. Seems like it could be used to advantage.

But what's it called, the seed inside the pit?

I don't. DOn't know anyone who does.

If I see a peachstone split, it's only just a little bit split and I doubt if I could get it open to get at whast's inside.

800px-Prunus_persica_pit.jpg

Peaches are related to almonds and they're, apparently, both part of the rose family.

As with many other members of the rose family, peach seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides, including amygdalin (note the subgenus designation: Amygdalus). These substances are capable of decomposing into a sugar molecule and hydrogen cyanide gas. While peach seeds are not the most toxic within the rose family, that dubious honour going to the bitter almond, large doses of these chemicals from any source are hazardous to human health.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peach

MG