Chris Connor

romualdo

Had a chance to go through 10,000 LPs last week (mostly MOR music from the 40's, 50's & 60's - 78's, 45's, 10" & 12" LPs)

Did find a small number of jazz gems

One of the more interesting pieces was an Australian 10" LP (London label) of Chris Connor's 1st Bethlehem 12" release "This Is Chris" - it contains the 10 titles but the cover is slightly different from the US 12".

AFAIK there were only 2 Connor Bethlehem 10" LPs (1001 & 1002)

I can find no record (in any discographies) of a 10" version of this - the UK 12" release was also on London (almost identical serial # to this Aussie one too) - I don't think this was released in the UK as a 10".

I think Australia continued to press 10" LPs for a few years after the US & UK ceased this format.

BTW the SQ of this old disc (over 55 years old) is amazing

Maybe I should have posted this in the Vinyl/Great finds section?

Had a chance to go through 10,000 LPs last week (mostly MOR music from the 40's, 50's & 60's - 78's, 45's, 10" & 12" LPs)

Did find a small number of jazz gems

One of the more interesting pieces was an Australian 10" LP (London label) of Chris Connor's 1st Bethlehem 12" release "This Is Chris" - it contains the 10 titles but the cover is slightly different from the US 12".

AFAIK there were only 2 Connor Bethlehem 10" LPs (1001 & 1002)

I can find no record (in any discographies) of a 10" version of this - the UK 12" release was also on London (almost identical serial # to this Aussie one too) - I don't think this was released in the UK as a 10".

I think Australia continued to press 10" LPs for a few years after the US & UK ceased this format.

BTW the SQ of this old disc (over 55 years old) is amazing

Maybe I should have posted this in the Vinyl/Great finds section?

Well, it's pretty odd. 'This is Chris' came out on the BCP20 in 12" series in the US. BCP1001 & 1002 are the two Lullabye LPs, which were 10".

I can't see why London UK would have issued a 12" US LP as a 10" - unless they thought it had limited sales potential and might have gone better at the cheaper price. Decca UK continued issuing 10" LPs into the late fifties; I used to have a copy of one of the Plas Johnson Tampa LPs on a 10" London LP, and that was about a 1957 issue, and Rodrigo's Concierto de Arranjuez by Narciso Yepes on a 10" Decca LP, which I think was from 1958. So limited sales potential may have been the reason. 'This is Chris' came out here on London LZ-N 14036 - which must have been a 10" series - the 12" series would have been LTZ-N 15XXX.

All the London distribution deals - and the details, too - for indie labels were arranged by the New York office of London, under the oversight of a middle-aged lady called Mimi Trepel (she died in 2006 aged 98). She organised tours to support the releases world wide and is the most important person in the industry for spreading R&R and R&B worldwide. So I guess this was her take on Chris Connor.

MG

Please check the tracks with the Chris Connor Discography and if this issue is not listed, please inform the author.

I did find Ivan Santiago's site (google search) before I started this thread - sent him an email last week to which he replied on the weekend -> I'm sending him pics of the cover & label

Thanks anyway

'This is Chris' came out here on London LZ-N 14036 - which must have been a 10" series - the 12" series would have been LTZ-N 15XXX

I stand corrected as this must have been released as a 10" in the UK too - the serial # above is almost identical to the Aussie one ie LZ-NA 14036 (only cap A added - probably signifies Australia)

this 10"

The Lord discography mentions the UK LP (LZ-N 14036) - I mistakenly thought this was a 12"

Has anyone ever seen a UK pressing of this 10" & was there a 12" UK version?

I'll upload some pics in the next day or so

BSN confirm that the London 14000 series was 10", even though they don't list the Chris Connor LP.

http://bsnpubs.com/london/londonamerican/3londonam14000.html

MG

thanks for the link

Interestingly another 10" I picked up was the first Martin Denny liberty release "Exotica" - again it contains the 10 titles that were released on the 12" in the US

This 10" is listed in BSN - APB 1000 London (UK) series - it has the same catalogue number as its UK counterpart (HB-U1079) - the mono version was on a 10" while the stereo version was on a 12"

I'm sure i've read somewhere that the stereo version was rerecorded at a later date hence the 12" stereo release - I don't think this would apply to the Chris Connor LP ie 10" mono & 12" stereo releases but who knows??

http://bsnpubs.com/london/londonamerican/1londonam1000.html