STAX/VOLT - The Complete Soul Singles 1968-71

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first volume (the black one) was the first box set I ever owned. It's brilliant.....obviously. The second (the blue one) is also great. By the time you get to the third, things had changed a bit. This is not to slight the quality of the tunes but if you're expecting what most folks understand to be the "Stax sound" you might be disapointed. Vol. 3 does have a great version of 'Starting All Over Again", though.

Wait a minute......you only asked about Vol. 2. Yeah, it's great and that seems like a good price. I mean, hell, there's what nice CDs in there......? When I bought Vol. 1 new, however many years ago, I think it was just under $100. Can't speak to the current used market value. Do a "completed items" search on eBay and see what it goes for on there.

Edited by Brandon Burke

• 1 year later...

2b_1_b.JPG

should i pick up the 1959-68 set for $40?

seems like a no brainer@ over 450 songs

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=samples#disc_1

the picture is not the actual set, the set is in really good outside

this set is oop?

Oh Hell Yes! $40 bucks? I'd have it by the end of the night.

It's not out of print. However, it has been repackaged in a smaller slip case and the book shunk down to the size of a jewel box.

Essential stuff. :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

OH, man! Do it definitely! I have all three boxes and the second is THE period.

Drool-worthy at a great price! Even the third set would be great at that price!

Stax-Volt

(I don't totally agree with Erlewine here, but you can look over the list of songs

while your away from the store).

---

Now playing: Iancu Dumitrescu - Objet Sonore Mysterieux (II)

Edited by rostasi

Well, you got those Booker T, Otis, and Rufus/Carla Thomas sides that stand out.

plus, I have a soft spot for the Mad Lads sides.

but I still think vol 2 is the killer, cause you got Black Moses,

about a dozen Johnnie Taylor sides, Staple Singers, Soul Children (despite the lisp)

and even the Funky Penguin and the Funky Chicken(!)

Damn! :excited:

---

Now playing: DJ Cheb I Sabbah - Shri Durga

I bought Volume one ( the black box) when it was first released and it has had a lot of play. I never got round to buying Volume 2 ( the blue box) which I sometimes regret. If ever you see a copy of the Sue Records Story box set it makes a great companion to the Stax.

I agree that this stuff is essential, but I wasn't crazy about the box set itself. When I listen to Otis, Sam and Dave, or Booker T. and the MGs, I tend to like to listen to them all at once. I didn't like having their songs spread out throughout the set. I got rid of it, and replaced it with individual discs by my favorite artists (Johnny Taylor, Eddie Floyd, Carla Thomas, etc.). I don't really regret getting rid of it. It was a case of TOO MUCH of a good thing.