Dave Brubeck - College of the Pacific

chuckyd4

Man, I've always been at something of an arm's length from Brubeck... Time Out was one of the first albums I owned, and I've dabbled here and there in his other catalogue, but his work has never been a real passion of mine.

Anyway, I just downloaded both volumes of the College of the Pacific shows from eMusic, and I am digging this stuff hard. The sound is a little crappy, and I'm a little partial to Morello's drumming, but this guy is no slouch himself. Desmond is absolutely on fire throughout the discs, and Brubeck seems to be finding some knotty place within himself consistently.

I really like this stuff, and will probably be downloading more of their albums soon.

It's always nice to reccomend some older stuff that a lot of people probably have... sort of a way to go back and rediscover an old favorite, I guess.

How's the 'Dave Digs Disney'? The one guy in a cd shop that I asked said 'so-so'.....but it's hard to believe that anything from that era w/Desmond could be

'so-so'?

I've been wanting that one lately myself, hoping that Sony will re-master and re-issue it--I'm wary of going near the late-80s Columbia CDs. I want to do a "Jazz Goes Disney" radio program, and that Brubeck would surely feature in it.

can recommend the Carnegie remaster too.... , but I'm also into his 80's stuff he did (although the variation in terms of inspiration is a little bit to high)...

got some of his Concords and Telarcs -specially his family stuff- with his various of his sons which have some great moments for me...

Cheers, Tjobbe

Edited by tjobbe

I'm listening to Dave Digs Disney right now, and what is there to say? It is a very enjoyable album, with Desmond being his usual self; pouring wodka martinis out of his horn. The liners tell me that this is actually a series of tunes the quartet had in their repertoire already and were performing on a regular basis.

There's a lot of sweetness, without any of it becoming saccharine. Brubeck actually does some pretty blues/funky playing at times. Of course there are the obligatory moments where Brubeck and Desmond play off of each other in counterpoints and whatnot.

All in all, this is a lot of fun, and certainly a whole lot better than merely "so-so." Never trust the guy in the CD store, he's probably never heard the album in the first place ^_^

My vinyl copy has a different cover than the usual one, with the same clumsily drawn Donald Duck holding the balloon, this time in colour, though.

post-14-1075991185.jpgB000056C6C.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg