Electric Blues Recommendations

The blues elements found in his music are so familiar to me, being an American who has grown up listening to American music, but there is an element to his voice and his guitar that feels otherworldly and immortal. It can't possibly get any better than this, can it?

I depends on the direction you want to pursue to go from there in your quest for "raw vocals and slide guitar" ... (not "better" in the strictest sense of the world but "evolving" ...)

I have a hunch you could do worse than to check out the recordings by HOUND DOG TAYLOR on the Alligator label. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

needmore has harmed many a man

thank the hell out of ya'

I was going to stay out this, knowing that you would be in good hands, but I want to expand one of cih's recommendations by saying that these two albums:

paula11.jpgpaula07.jpg

Snooky Pryor and Chicago Blues Harmonicas, both on Paula, are not only excellent musically, they're kind of "important" in terms of documenting Mississippi blues in the process of becoming Chicago blues. The Chicago Blues Harmonicas disc has further Snooky Pryor tracks not on the first album.

Edited by MomsMobley

So, a first observation as I begin to absorb the music I bought as a result of this thread:

Elmore James. Holy shit, Elmore James....I just keep replaying it and replaying it. The blues elements found in his music are so familiar to me, being an American who has grown up listening to American music, but there is an element to his voice and his guitar that feels otherworldly and immortal. It can't possibly get any better than this, can it?

Or maybe as an American listening to British musicians who listened to American music. Brian Jones was so blown away by Elmore James that when Keith met him he was calling himself Elmore Lewis. I had the same experience with that set you're wearing out - it's music that won't let go of you. It's different but Howlin' Wolf shares some of the raw-electric charismatic qualities. There is a Hip-O Select 4 disc Part 1 set that has likely gotten expensive, but because of its release perhaps the earlier box now costs less on the used market. I've been continuing on in the acoustic area but may have to add a little more electric into my listening thanks to this thread.

Both this one http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Enjoy-Recordings-Elmore-James/dp/B00000096W/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1362948452&sr=1-3&keywords=elmore+james+fire

or this one http://www.amazon.com/King-Slide-Guitar-Elmore-James/dp/B00008IUX8/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1362948452&sr=1-2&keywords=elmore+james+fire

seem to cover the Fire/Enjoy sessions. The second set has an extra cut.

I can't give a preference because I have an earlier set with fewer cuts and at this stage in my life I'm not about to buy the music again for a few extra tracks.

Charly and Collectables can both really botch the sound. I have it on Charly, myself, although in a different package. The sound is OK, although probably not as good as it could be.

You will enjoy the later sessions, as they contain a good share of Elmore's all time classics. There are also the two short sessions on Chess. With those two installments, together with the box of early recordings, you will have the complete Elmore James on record.

Edited by John L

Just to play devil's advocate, I've always thought that Blues Is King is the best live B.B. King record. Much more spontaneous than Live at the Regal - at least to my ears. That said, the sound on the MCA CD sucks. At least the version that I had did. I listen now to an import MCA LP - possibly from France, but I can't tell from the jacket and label. I'd suggest picking up an LP version, either an import or an original Bluesway, rather than getting the CD. The music is great.

Edited by paul secor

By the way, since you are in an Elmore sort of mood, the Elmore James band backs Junior Wells on half ot the tracks on this album. The Muddy Waters band is on the other half. The music is absolutely timeless:

2195881-big.jpg

Edited by John L

Just to play devil's advocate, I've always thought that Blues Is King is the best live B.B. King record. Much more spontaneous than Live at the Regal - at least to my ears. That said, the sound on the MCA CD sucks. At least the version that I had did. I listen now to an import MCA LP - possibly from France, but I can't tell from the jacket and label. I'd suggest picking up an LP version, either an import or an original Bluesway, rather than getting the CD. The music is great.

I have Blues Is King and like it very much...but don't think it matches Live at the Regal. As you say, one problem on Blues Is King is the sound quality and IIRC the audience is much more participatory on Live at the Regal (check out the climactic moment on "How Blue Can You Get" .... I get goose bumps/ cold chills up and down my spine every time.

Count me as agreeing with Paul - Blues is King is my preference, and I've never had a complaint about the sound on my LP. Too bad if they f-ed up the CD transfer.

My transfer is part of a custom two-fer: Blues on Top of Blues, with brassy arrangements by Johnny Pate. Its a little different from his other Bluesways but I like it a lot too.

So, a first observation as I begin to absorb the music I bought as a result of this thread:

Elmore James. Holy shit, Elmore James. Listening to the early recordings 3-cd set on Ace, and the music seems to offer an almost perfect blend of raw vocals and slide guitar. I've been listening this week to Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter, all of it so far is various degrees of good. But Elmore James is, for me, operating at another level. I've been listening to this set for the last three days, and I can't get past disc one because I just keep replaying it and replaying it. The blues elements found in his music are so familiar to me, being an American who has grown up listening to American music, but there is an element to his voice and his guitar that feels otherworldly and immortal. It can't possibly get any better than this, can it?

The desperate intensity of his singing - it's as if his very life is hanging on every phrase - is amplified by the heavy guitar reverb and the brutal simplicity of his guitar phrasing and sax-harmony accompaniment. Slow James songs and some minor-key Otis Rush Cobras are the most noir Chicago blues.

Continuing my journey through many of the recordings recommended in this thread, I've been listening to the T-Bone Walker Capitol recordings, and the music provides such a nice contrast from the rawer blues of some of the other guys I've been listening to. I find his playing to be so wonderfully laid back, it makes me want to relax on the couch and drink until I'm barely able to stand.

Also, I finished reading Robert Palmer's Deep Blues, which I found to be very engaging. The broad outlines of the subject were already familiar to me, but Palmer has a deft touch when it comes to humanizing his subjects, and I really appreciated that.

Next year, it looks like I'm going to be teaching at least one class on Modern U.S. history for the first time (I'm an African historian by training) and I'm already thinking of doing a major section on the blues, with an assigned book (Palmer, or something else if I can find something better for an undergraduate audience) and maybe some recordings as well.

Continuing my journey through many of the recordings recommended in this thread, I've been listening to the T-Bone Walker Capitol recordings, and the music provides such a nice contrast from the rawer blues of some of the other guys I've been listening to. I find his playing to be so wonderfully laid back, it makes me want to relax on the couch and drink until I'm barely able to stand.

Also, I finished reading Robert Palmer's Deep Blues, which I found to be very engaging. The broad outlines of the subject were already familiar to me, but Palmer has a deft touch when it comes to humanizing his subjects, and I really appreciated that.

Next year, it looks like I'm going to be teaching at least one class on Modern U.S. history for the first time (I'm an African historian by training) and I'm already thinking of doing a major section on the blues, with an assigned book (Palmer, or something else if I can find something better for an undergraduate audience) and maybe some recordings as well.

Interesting ... I have a similar impression of T-Bone... particularly his singing is way more refined than most blues singers I like... but I think ultimately I prefer a rawer type of voice that supplies more emotion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...