It was 40 Years ago....(The albums of 1973)

When I first answered the question, I mentioned albums that I heard in 1973. Of course, subsequently I've heard many albums that were recorded/released in 1973, but I mentioned ones that were important to me in that year.

And yes, the Leo Kottke made a huge impression on me then. I was on Capitol's mailing list at the time, and got a reviewer copy. The last track on the album cut off (intentionally) during the applause; my later CD has the applause fade out.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41VewKDsGGL.jpgsmokedreams.gif

Two of my favourite Australian releases from 1973

Mackenzie Theory were a jazz/fusion unit

The Captain Matchbox LP ("Smoke Dreams") was released on ESP-Disc in the states in quadraphonic (ESP-3009, Dynaquad) - never seen a copy of this

What a great band Captain Matchbox were. A Jug Band.

I was too young to buy albums in 1973, but have wonderful memories of Australian Music from that era on the radio and black and white TV.

It was an oddball culture in Oz then, that produced a bunch of dags like Cpt. Matchbox.

One of my favourite lines that made sense to me as I got older...

'Glen Waverley Imperialism is Here To Stay'. Nice People...Nice Houses.

71fHbSzZWsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This one was recorded in 1973 but not released until 1976. I saw the band (Martin Carthy/John Kirkpatrick/Sue Harris/Roger Swallow/Ashley Hutchings/Simon Nicol) in the January of that year and it had a huge impact. I had a few Fairport and Sandy Denny records and had heard a bit of folk on John Peel's programme (probably next to Captain Beefheart and Budgie....those were the days!). The concert led me to buy this a few weeks later, a 1972 release:

51lSocs2g3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

As a rock listener I was very keen on English groups who sang in English accents (thus the attraction of the whole Canterbury scene) but this took it all to another level of possibility.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Attending college in 1973, I was introduced to the then-current folk & trad scenes. At the various folk festivals, I heard The Boys of the Lough, Martin Bogan & Armstrong, Planxty, Honeyboy Edwards...pretty much anyone who eventually showed up on Shanachie.

41VewKDsGGL.jpgsmokedreams.gif

Two of my favourite Australian releases from 1973

Mackenzie Theory were a jazz/fusion unit

The Captain Matchbox LP ("Smoke Dreams") was released on ESP-Disc in the states in quadraphonic (ESP-3009, Dynaquad) - never seen a copy of this

What a great band Captain Matchbox were. A Jug Band.

I was too young to buy albums in 1973, but have wonderful memories of Australian Music from that era on the radio and black and white TV.

It was an oddball culture in Oz then, that produced a bunch of dags like Cpt. Matchbox.

One of my favourite lines that made sense to me as I got older...

'Glen Waverley Imperialism is Here To Stay'. Nice People...Nice Houses.

I saw Captain Matchbox live a few times throughout the 70's - one time at the Queens Hotel in Brisbane in 1978 (legendary punk venue) - they were playing with Jimmy & the Boys (aussie punk band) - what a mixture of fans - punks & hippies

I also saw them performing on the back of a truck (early 1980 at Samford, just outside of Brisbane) - their final concert before calling it a day

Some of my fave lines

"Like A Pair Of Undies On The Clothes Line, I'm Hung On You"

"cream brick veneer houses spring up all over the place spreading cream brick venereal disease"

Captain Matchbox and Jimmy And The Boys.

How could you describe that for American readers :lol:

Captain Matchbox did some reunion Pub gigs here in Melbourne very recently. I thought to go but didn't.

Jim Conway is regarded as an amazing Harp player, but has been stricken with MS I believe.

I remember him playing with Brownie McGhee many years ago now.

Some old Ignatius Jones hosted Countdown's were recently screened on Rage, after one of the clips (maybe Little River Band I can't remember), Ignatius turns to the camera and says...'plastic music for plastic people'.

I cant believe there's a quad version of the Cpt. Matchbox Lp.

Bev probably considers this the beginning of the end, but here's the 1973 lp for me:

220px-NewYorkDollsNewYorkDolls.jpg

...though I much prefer their second.

Beginning of the end for my tastes, perhaps. But there are many pathways in music. That one I've never felt the inclination to wander down, but I can appreciate the appeal for others. Just as long as it's not presented as 'the right pathway'. Which was my real issue with Year Zero (1976 in the UK).

Don't think this one has been mentioned:

Lifemask.jpg

I didn't hear it in full in '73, but I taped 'South Africa' off the radio and was much smitten by the song. Probably my favourite RH song alongside 'When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease.'

The sidelong 'The Lord's Prayer' is a bit hard going, though, even to a fellow religious sceptic.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Don't think this one has been mentioned:

Lifemask.jpg

I didn't hear it in full in '73, but I taped 'South Africa' off the radio and was much smitten by the song. Probably my favourite RH song alongside 'When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease.'

The sidelong 'The Lord's Prayer' is a bit hard going, though, even to a fellow religious sceptic.

Ah Roy!! - one of may favourites from the "folk/rock scene" - up there with Richard Thompson

Saw Roy live in 1985 here in Brisbane (Uni of Queensland refec) with the legendary Australian punk band "The Saints"

61ioSX3xqBL.jpg

Ah Roy!!

From Ah Roy to I Roy - 1973 was a great time for reggae, and this is one of the most bestest records ever made - 'Presenting I Roy'. I was only a tiny baby but I well remember smoking the herb with the rastas where I lived in Ilford:

I%20Roy%20-%201973%20-%20Presenting%20I%

Then there's "cashing in" on Watergate fame. I was actually thrilled to find this copy in the late '80s. It blows all other versions of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" outta the water. Okay, it just blows.

post-377-0-10103300-1362763677_thumb.jpg

Edited by Quincy

The-Bealtes-1962-1966.jpg

Blue-Album.jpg

Remember those coming out - I think it was the summer of 73. I had no Beatles records, though was aware of the singles obviously. I never had the red one.

But I got the blue one as a Xmas '73 present (music to enjoy the oil crisis by). It was a permanent fixture on the turntable when we gathered for endless Mah Jong sessions in my first university year.

Thinking of '73 politically I especially recall:

• The end of the Vietnam War and the Paris talks
  • Riots at the Notting Hill Carnival
  • The Chile coup
  • The Yom Kippur War and subsequent oil crisis.

Don't recall much between January and August - must have been studying too hard for my 'A' Levels. There must have been a miner's strike there somewhere - think it was the end of the year leading to the fall of Heath in '74.

Your "mystery albums" are actually one double album - A Wizard/A True Star by Todd Rundgren. It was a favorite among my circle of friends.

Yes, that was also a favorite among myself and one or two friends.

Here Come the Warm Jets by Brian Eno, also came out that year. It wasn't until about seven years later until I started appreciating Eno, but better late than never.