It was 40 Years ago....(The albums of 1973)

I spend a lot of my time working with kids on historical interpretations and the various reasons the past is understood or represented differently (though Mr. Gove is working to put a stop to that - it'll soon be 'Our Island Story' again!).

The responses in this thread are fascinating in that respect - memories of 1973 are so different. You'd expect that between countries, but even MG and myself in the same place (though maybe 10 years apart in age) have such a different recollection.

Imagine what it looked like to the 11 year olds I had to supervise as an 18 year old prefect at school discos - yes, it was Suzi Quatro, T. Rex, Slade, Osmonds etc.

1973 was also the year of:

Bursting_at_the_seams.jpg

'You don't get me, I'm part of the union...'

Having flirted briefly with the Strawbs I was horrified by them on TofTP with eyeliner!

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What about this one from 1973!

Houston+Person+-+The+Real+Thing+ft.jpeg

Mentioned already, Guv :D

A very, very good album.

There was also

lets-do-it-again.jpg

Fatback Band - Let's do it again - Perception (George Adams' first recording, I believe)

and

Wild+and+Peaceful.jpeg

Kool & the Gang - Wild & peaceful - DeLite - a bit mixed and you STILL hear 'Jungle boogie' all the effin' time!

MG

I spend a lot of my time working with kids on historical interpretations and the various reasons the past is understood or represented differently (though Mr. Gove is working to put a stop to that - it'll soon be 'Our Island Story' again!).

The responses in this thread are fascinating in that respect - memories of 1973 are so different. You'd expect that between countries, but even MG and myself in the same place (though maybe 10 years apart in age) have such a different recollection.

I'm not sure that it's the age difference; hardly any people my age were into R&B/Soul/Soul Jazz in those years (actually, hardly anyone in Britain was into Soul jazz then). Those people have to be about ten/twenty years younger than YOU, Bev :)

MG

This classic also came out in 1973:

HenryCow_AlbumCover_Legend.jpg

Henry Cow - Legend

I'm not sure if I heard it then - but I did see them in a small room at Reading University towards the end of the year. A friend of mine was the first to get the record so I may have heard it in his room that year or early the next.

7/4 approves.

I bought some of the albums that have been listed.

Some are gone from my collection:

Sly: Fresh

The Band: Moondog Matinee

Dr. John: In the Right Place

Marvin Gaye: Let's Get It On

Little Feat: Dixie Chicken

Some I stll have on LP:

Toots & the Maytals: Funky Kingston

The JBs: Doing It to Death

The Kinks: Preservation Act 1

or on CD:

John Cale: Paris 1919

In 1973, I was in the process of leaving the pop world (but not completely) and was mostly in the world of jazz and blues.

410OsNL3KEL._SL500_AA280_.jpg61X6xakj3nL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Apparently these were both from 1973 - I first heard the second the following year, the first about 8 years later. Planxty were a curiosity in my collection in the 70s but would come to be very important as my interest in folk music (beyond folk rock) took hold.

The first one in particular was hugely influential in Ireland and beyond - the point when Irish music opened up for the hippy generation!