Black Jazz reissues on Snow Dog label (Japan)

David Ayers

The Doug and Jean Carn is classic. That is the only "must have" title. I like the Awakening titles and the Rudolph Johnson, but those are for particular tastes only. Johnson is one of those guys like Von Freeman who you either like or he makes you crazy. The Awakening is very 70's spiritual content, not necessarily technically excellent. The Kellie Patterson is pretty weak, the Bishop pretty late in the game, the Russell pretty conservative.

Here's what's available through import-cds (16 titles)

http://www.importcds.com/Search/Results?type=200&lbl=snow+dog

some on this list appear to be more contemporary

I've just ordered/received Bishop's "Coral Keys", Carn's "Spirit Of The New Land" & waiting on Franklin's "The Skipper" though havn't had a chance to listen to any of them yet

I particularly like the Chester Thompson side, although the trombonist is Not Up To Standard. But then again, if you're listening to any of this Black Jazz stuff strictly as "objective music", then there's a lot wrong with a lot of it. But hey, I grew up In Jazz hearing the late-night (not yet was it nite) radio give me Doug Carn stuff immediately followed by a deep-voiced commercial asking me have I been to Mister G's Motel?, so it's damn near impossible for me to listen to any of this Black Jazz stuff strictly as "objective music". Of course, mileages WILL vary.

Still, many flaws and all, this whole thing still makes sense to me as a message that beats anything else being offered these days. If it's imperfect and still needs to be fixed up a lot more to get to where it oughtacould be, oh well. How much in life that is worth doing is NOT like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9pZoRhRQA4

Edited by JSngry

The Doug and Jean Carn is classic. That is the only "must have" title. I like the Awakening titles and the Rudolph Johnson, but those are for particular tastes only. Johnson is one of those guys like Von Freeman who you either like or he makes you crazy. The Awakening is very 70's spiritual content, not necessarily technically excellent. The Kellie Patterson is pretty weak, the Bishop pretty late in the game, the Russell pretty conservative.

curious as to what that means. he was still in his 40s and playing his butt off!

curious as to what that means. he was still in his 40s and playing his butt off!

I was worried about what Felser said. Is this bunch on the up and up, Val?

MG

I haven't heard his Black Jazz recordings in a number of years, did revisit the Muse recordings recently, and they were underwhelming. I remember the Black Jazz sides being much better, but I don't remember them giving me any additional insights into Bishop - that's what I mean by late in the game - he was already pretty well-defined by his earlier recordings. By all means, if you really like Bishop's playing, go for the Black Jazz sides (indeed, every record ever released by that label has merit, and I owned every one of them at one point thanks to Third Street Jazz selling many of them as 99 cent cutouts). But they weren't landmarks the way those three Doug & Jean Carn albums were. I go under the assumption that people have a limited amount of $ to spend, and can't own every worthy album, especially at Japanese import prices. I know I can't.

I haven't heard his Black Jazz recordings in a number of years, did revisit the Muse recordings recently, and they were underwhelming. I remember the Black Jazz sides being much better, but I don't remember them giving me any additional insights into Bishop - that's what I mean by late in the game - he was already pretty well-defined by his earlier recordings. By all means, if you really like Bishop's playing, go for the Black Jazz sides (indeed, every record ever released by that label has merit, and I owned every one of them at one point thanks to Third Street Jazz selling many of them as 99 cent cutouts). But they weren't landmarks the way those three Doug & Jean Carn albums were. I go under the assumption that people have a limited amount of $ to spend, and can't own every worthy album, especially at Japanese import prices. I know I can't.

In case you didn't know, she was married to him!