Ornette Coleman Paris Concert

ATR

I've had this Japanese Trio double LP for years. Seven compositions. Just got what appears to be a CD version with 4 tracks. The CD booklet describes it as being previously released on bootleg LP with mistitled compositions. Have they left off 3 tracks, or was there another LP version of this concert?

I've had this Japanese Trio double LP for years. Seven compositions. Just got what appears to be a CD version with 4 tracks. The CD booklet describes it as being previously released on bootleg LP with mistitled compositions. Have they left off 3 tracks, or was there another LP version of this concert?

There may be two concerts on that trio LP, can't remember. Doesn't it say on the LP?

The LP only says November '71.

There may be two concerts on that trio LP, can't remember. Doesn't it say on the LP?

Nope.

Wish there was a complete (and legit) release of the Mutualité November 1965 concerts.

There were two concerts that evening with a double bill of Ornette Coleman and Sonny Rollins trios.

A beret-wearing Rollins appeared then with Gilbert Rovere on bass and Art Taylor on drums.

The Ornette Coleman trio played another concert at the Palais de la Mutualité in March 1966.

Edited by brownie

I can't access the LP right now. I may have got this idea from the Ornette discography inside the Artist's House LP. See here for a discography that seems to confirm this idea.

http://cd-v.net/jazz/cover/coleman/paris.html

I do remember having to skip about between LPs if I wanted to listen to one or the other concert.

I'm copying in the info in case the link stops working.

• Paris Concert / Ornette Coleman: Trio PA7169 (2LPs)

Paris, February 12, 1966 & November 1971
    Ornette Coleman(as,tp,vln), David Izenzon(b), Charles Moffett(d), Dewey Redman(ts),
    Charlie Haden(b), Ed Blackwell(d)
    paris.jpg

1. Second Fiction
    2. Summer-Thang
    3. Sihouette
    4. 14 Juillet (*)
    5. Fantasy 77
    6. Reminiscence (*)
    7. All Day Affair (*)

• Note: (*) Izenzon, Moffett, February 12, 1966;
    Note: Redman, Haden, Blackwell, 1971, Only Japan Issued

I can't access the LP right now. I may have got this idea from the Ornette discography inside the Artist's House LP. See here for a discography that seems to confirm this idea.

I do remember having to skip about between LPs if I wanted to listen to one or the other concert.

Ornette Coleman(as,tp,vln), David Izenzon(b), Charles Moffett(d), Dewey Redman(ts),

paris.jpg

1. Second Fiction

2. Summer-Thang

3. Sihouette

4. 14 Juillet (*)

5. Fantasy 77

6. Reminiscence (*)

7. All Day Affair (*)

Are those titles actually from Ornette himself.

I can't imagine him titling a composition or improv 'Summer - Thang'?

Can anyone give an accounting of what recordings are available, legit or not, from the Trio? I have the ESP, BN Golden Circle albums, the Arista London set, and the Cryodon boot. What else could I get my hands on?

The Who's Crazy soundtrack. I have it on an Affinity double LP, but it has appeared in other forms.

Can anyone give an accounting of what recordings are available, legit or not, from the Trio? I have the ESP, BN Golden Circle albums, the Arista London set, and the Cryodon boot. What else could I get my hands on?

The Who's Crazy soundtrack. I have it on an Affinity double LP, but it has appeared in other forms.

Right, forgot about this one. Still trying to find a copy at a palatable price.

The new cd is a boot as well, n'est-ce pas?

Most likely.

Plus:

Falling Star: Live At The Tivoli, Copenhagen 1965 on Jazz Door

The Love Revolution - Complete Italian Tour 1968: Rome/Milan [2 CD set] on Gambit

The Love Revolution, a splendid set BTW, is not the trio with Izenson and Moffett. It is a quartet with Blackwell, Haden, and Izenson. Not sure if you meant this as a response to what other Izenson/Moffett trio recordings are out there or not.

paris.jpg

1. Second Fiction

2. Summer-Thang

3. Sihouette

4. 14 Juillet (*)

5. Fantasy 77

6. Reminiscence (*)

7. All Day Affair (*)

Some more info, taken from: Peter Niklas Wilson: Ornette Coleman. Sein Leben, Seine Musik, Seine Schallplatten. Schaftlach, 1989 (Collection Jazz; 12), p. 155:

titles on cover / titles on labels / correct title (year of rec.):

Second Fiction / Second Fiction / Street Woman (1971)

Summer Thang / Ridden World / Written Word ? (1971)

Silhouette / Broken Shadows / unknown (1971)

14 Juillet / 14 Juillet / unknown (free improvisation) (1966)

Fantasy 77 / Arabic Sounding Song / Rock the Clock (1971)

Reminiscence / Sadness / unknown (free improvisation) (1966)

All Day Affair / Dough Nut / Doughnut (1966)

This must be proof about the meticulous research the Japanes put into their releases, huh? ;)

The book further says that the actual location isn't confirmed either ... just the year/tour from which each concert is taken seems to be more or less clear.

Written Word is just an assumption ... the track is on the 2CD set of the "Science Fiction Sessions" so, it could now be compared (verified/falsified), but back then the book was written, it couldn't. (And I can't help as I don't have the Trio dopule LP, alas.)

Is the 1971 material the same as is on the bootleg CD "Live in Paris 1971"? They have "Summer Thang" there and some chap over on AMG (I hope this link is okay!) makes fun of those who tried to staighten up the facts.

• 4 weeks later...