Paul Motian On Broadway Vol. 1-5

I just picked this one up as it was on sale at J&R and reasonably priced for 5 cds.

Not everyone will like the packaging as the discs fit into paper sleeves (too tight - but I cut them) but at least it is very compact.

This box features Motian-Frisell-Lovano- Haden on Volumes 1 and 2, adds Lee Konitz for Volume 3 and then he gets a whole new band including Masabumi Kikuchi, Chris Potter, and others including a vocalist for Volumes 4 and 5.

WHile I love the Paul Motian Trio (with Frisell and Lovano) I had heard volumes 1-3 before and had never really warmed up to them... not sure why, much preferring the BIll Evans and Monk tributes or albums with Motian's original compositions to his interpretations of Broadway classics.

But I am warming up to them now (maybe because there will not be any more new Paul Motian albums) and of course Volumes 4 and 5 are a whole different band and I am finding that at least engaging on first listen.

Well, Motian recorded six albums for ECM between 1972 and 1984 in his first run on the label. My guess is that it's those. (He recorded another seven for ECM released between 2005 & 2001.)

Yes, first 6 --- Conception Vessel, Tribute, Dance, Psalm and It Should've Happened A Long Time Ago

Oops, edited to add Le Voyage!

Edited by JETman

I got it. I don't mind the packaging and the music is great. I'm not too high on Rebecca Martin's vocals (whatever disc that is) but overall it's a great set.

ECM is coming out with a 6 CD set of Motian's stuff. Anybody got any specific info on that one?

Rebecca Martin is on Disc 4 - initially I had the same reaction you did but I am liking her vocals the more I listen

I got it. I don't mind the packaging and the music is great. I'm not too high on Rebecca Martin's vocals (whatever disc that is) but overall it's a great set.

ECM is coming out with a 6 CD set of Motian's stuff. Anybody got any specific info on that one?

do you put the cds in the paper sleeves? Don't they seem awfully tight? I was worried about scratches and so cut part of the sleeves to make them looser.