Two gems

Larry Kart

Two recent discs that I've been listening to a lot -- "One Night in Vermont" (Planet Arts), a 2001 concert recording with Bob Brookmeyer and pianist Ted Rosenthal, and tenor saxophonist Ted Brown's "Preservation" (Steeplechase), a 2002 studio date with Harold Danko, Dennis Irwin and Jeff Hirshfield. Brookmeyer is in top latter-day form on "One Night," and Rosenthal -- an ideal partner harmonically and rhythmically -- is a very tasty, inventive soloist, comparable to Fred Hersch in style perhaps, though he's his own man (at odd times he reminds me a bit of Martial Solal, very witty). The program is all standards. Brown, the 75-year-old Tristano-ite, sounds as fresh as can be -- continuous, utterly spontaneous, soulful improvising -- and Danko really knows how to play with Brown (as he has with Konitz, too), keeping the harmonic palette rather basic instead of drowning the soloist in substitutions but remaining very inventive on that chosen path. Also, Irwin is something else -- like a rock timewise and a deep, non-flashy soloist.

Thanks for the Bob Brookmeyer 'One Night in Vermont' recommendation. Will be looking for that one.

I recommended the Ted Brown when it came out here last Summer:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...48&hl=ted+brown

That Ted Brown CD is a superb album.

Another recommendation is highly welcome!

Edited by brownie

Thanks for mentioning these two interesting recordings, Larry. The Ted Brown sounds very cool! Does anyone have a good online source for Steeplechase? (And one that's also good for ordering from Europe.)

I suggest that you order from Abeille Musique website, which is the French distributor for the whole SteepleChase catalogue.

The Ted Brown CD is listed at 19.38 €

Direct link to the Ted Brown CD

or

the complete SteepleChase catalogue listing

Thanks for mentioning these two interesting recordings, Larry. The Ted Brown sounds very cool! Does anyone have a good online source for Steeplechase? (And one that's also good for ordering from Europe.)

I suggest that you order from Abeille Musique website, which is the French distributor for the whole SteepleChase catalogue.

The Ted Brown CD is listed at 19.38 €

Direct link to the Ted Brown CD

or

the complete SteepleChase catalogue listing

Thanks, Vincent, but they're pretty expensive, too!

Will have a look at the site, however.

ubu