people who write checks in the grocery line are impaired

they should not be allowed to drive. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

we have all waited in the checkout line for someone to write out a check, date and all.

for them not to have the check pre written, except for the purchase amount, is unfathomable.

more efficiient methods of transaction have been readily available for more than 40 years.

folks who can't think that far ahead should not be allowed to operate a motor vehicle.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Don't get me started about the customers who perform similar acts of Totally Unavoidable Time-Wasting at Post Office counters....especially after hearing them whine, sometimes quite pointedly, in the line about how slow the Post Office is...any number of times I've seen people show up with something to send, a container they think they want to put it in, and...nothing else. Nothing else.

I guess when All The World's A Stage meets This Must Be My 15 Minutes Of Fame, stoopid shit is part of the inevitable result.

But some people don't get that My 15 Minutes Of Fame is supposed to be per lifetime, not per venue per day.

overheard a wonderful 5 minute discussion last week between a post office clerk who advised a woman to put a return adress on her package and said woman who thought the clerk was just trying to get her address to stalk her...

It used to bug me, but I've become a much more patient person over the years. I still have my limits just like everyone else, but waiting a little longer in line because somebody is writing a check isn't one of them.

I note that 95% of the time it is an older person. They're simply going about their everyday life as they have been for longer than I've been alive. They also tend to be the type of people that have chosen to slow down and enjoy life instead of rushing from point A to point B every step of the way.

With that said, driving 5mph under the speed limit in front of me still isn't met with that same level of patience. I'm working on it...

Everyone (myself included) is in too much of a hurry. We should all slow down.

Oops, you posted this while I was typing.

But yes, I agree 100%.

My wife's mom still writes checks. She's the type of person who doesn't push herself in any way. Ten years ago, we tried to show her how to use her debit card, but she just freaked out and still writes checks. Arg!

I do think it is hilarious when a store takes the check the customer handed them, scans it into the register, and then immediately returns it to them. I love the befuddled look on the face of the check writer.

It used to bug me, but I've become a much more patient person over the years. I still have my limits just like everyone else, but waiting a little longer in line because somebody is writing a check isn't one of them.

I note that 95% of the time it is an older person. They're simply going about their everyday life as they have been for longer than I've been alive. They also tend to be the type of people that have chosen to slow down and enjoy life instead of rushing from point A to point B every step of the way.

With that said, driving 5mph under the speed limit in front of me still isn't met with that same level of patience. I'm working on it...

But yes, I agree 100%.

What bugs me is that many older persons (I'm 66 by the way) don't - or don't want to - see the convenience of a more modern way of living than they were used to. Just an example - I live in an apartment building with quite a few people who are older than I am and they refuse to use a computer for even the simplest things, making life harder for themselves. Their excuse: I'm too old for that kind of thing; they don't even try...

Edited by J.A.W.

I don't mind people writing checks. I write them myself on occasion. What really baffles me are the people who don't even begin to get the pen and checkbook out and open until the transaction has been fully rung up.

I mean, how modular do you have to be to be functional? If you're at a point where there can be no overlapping activities at all in your consciousness, then...wtf?

But yes, I agree 100%.

What bugs me is that many older persons (I'm 66 by the way) don't - or don't want to - see the convenience of a more modern way of living than they were used to. Just an example - I live in an apartment building with quite a few people who are older than I am and they refuse to use a computer for even the simplest things, making life harder for themselves. Their excuse: I'm too old for that kind of thing; they don't even try...

In the entire history of mankind....there are always people like that. Why at this point does it bother anyone?

J.A.W., doesn't is seem somewhat presumptuous to say it's making life harder for them?

My father is in his 70's and he has always embraced technology.

But I know folks in their 40's and 50's who have no use for computers, and they make due in thier lives just fine. We may be closing in on a tipping point where some kind of computer access is essential, but we're not there yet.

The effects they could have on people's lives is still a matter of perception, IMO.

Scott,

you may be right, but what is happening here is that for instance banking, filing your income tax returns, getting insurance and the Dutch version of social security and things like that are now almost exclusively done electronically and that's definitely making life harder for people who have no use for computers. I see it all around me. Looks like we have reached a tipping point there already.

Edited by J.A.W.