The Photography Thread

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

deus seems to be a real lover of photography!

Make sure if you're in/around Zurich someday you don't miss the Fotomuseum Winterthur! The very first museum I think exclusively dedicated to photography. Saw some great exhibitions there. August Sander's "Menschen des 20. Jahrhundert" were very impressing!

Yep, I am.

I've been wanting to see that museum for quite some time now ... haven't gotten around to it yet - but I will, one day.

One of my fave photographers is Franz Roh (1890-1965), but it is very difficult to find any of his stuff online in a quality which is worthy of his absolutely stunning photos. So, I won't link to anything here.

But there are so many great photographers. I could put a hundred into this thread off the top of my head. But, not enough time, especially now (I'm supposed to be in bed). Maybe another day.

Cheers!

[edited for typing errors]

Edited by deus62

deus seems to be a real lover of photography!

Make sure if you're in/around Zurich someday you don't miss the Fotomuseum Winterthur! The very first museum I think exclusively dedicated to photography. Saw some great exhibitions there. August Sander's "Menschen des 20. Jahrhundert" were very impressing!

Yep, I am.

I've been wanting to see that museum for quite some time now ... haven't gotten around to it yet - but I will, one day.

One of my fave photographers is Franz Roh (1890-1965), but it is very difficult to find any of his stuf online in a quality which is worthhy of his absolutely stunning photos. So, I won't link to anything here.

But there are so many great photographers. I could put a hundred into this thread off the top of my head. But, not enough time, especially now (I'm supposed to be in bed). Maybe another day.

Cheers!

deus, newly opened, just opposite the Fotomuseum, there's the Fotostiftung Schweiz - so you get twice as much to see if you make it! I just got the programme for 2004: Lukas Felzmann (never heard of him), Jean-Pascal Imsand (ditto), and Jakob Tuggener (great swiss photographer, 1904-1988) coming up.

Did you see the film "Henri Cartier-Bresson: Biographie eines Blicks"? Great one!

You see the grand old man, talking about his life and looking at his photographs, making his sly remarks, trying to stylize himself as much as he can, but a great film, nevertheless!

Do you know the swiss magazine called "du"? They had numbers featuring the works of Bischof, Frank, Freud, Salgado and others. Worth looking for!

Never heard of Franz Roh. Is there anything especially good around? Some book I could fine in a good library?

ubu

deus, newly opened, just opposite the Fotomuseum, there's the Fotostiftung Schweiz - so you get twice as much to see if you make it! I just got the programme for 2004: Lukas Felzmann (never heard of him), Jean-Pascal Imsand (ditto), and Jakob Tuggener (great swiss photographer, 1904-1988) coming up.

Did you see the film "Henri Cartier-Bresson: Biographie eines Blicks"? Great one!

You see the grand old man, talking about his life and looking at his photographs, making his sly remarks, trying to stylize himself as much as he can, but a great film, nevertheless!

Do you know the swiss magazine called "du"? They had numbers featuring the works of Bischof, Frank, Freud, Salgado and others. Worth looking for!

Never heard of Franz Roh. Is there anything especially good around? Some book I could fine in a good library?

ubu

I guess I have to travel to Switzerland soon. ;)

Lukas Felzmann I know (quite a mixed output; lots of detail photography). http://www.lukasfelzmann.com. I've seen some Jean-Pascal Imsand work, but can't recall quite now. Jakob Tuggener is great. I saw an exhibitionabout six years ago, in Frankfurt if I recall correctly.

The film I saw. Fascinating.

Zweitausendeins sold a book really cheap (I think it's sold out): "Mechanismus und Ausdruck. Die Sammlung Ann und Jürgen Wilde. Fotografien aus dem 20. Jahrhundert. Sprengel Museum Hannover." Most of the photographers I linked to (also Franz Roh) are represented in that book. Get it if you can. It's great (also good reproduction quality).

I'm off to bed.

Cheers!

Hi Johnny E,

Damn, thanks for posting that! That last photo by Arbus was made into an album cover by the Canadian punk band S.N.F.U. (from Edmonton). The name of the album was "And No One Else Wanted To Play..." I had no idea it came from a "real" photo!

The album was released back in my young punk years (1984/5?), and I haven't thought about it for many, many years. Thanks for letting me reminisce a little bit!

It was a great album, by the way!!!

Cheers,

Shane

Since this is the Photography Thread, I'll post this here.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...d_press_photo_1

The top winner is a dear friend of mine. He has already won two Pulitzer Prizes.

Don't know what prize he can aim for now...

:D Well, if your friend is like the rest of us shoot-addicts, even if there were NO prize left, he would still keep doin' what he's doin'. We're all nuts. :blink::blink:

Pass along my congrats.:D

Since this is the Photography Thread, I'll post this here.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...d_press_photo_1

The top winner is a dear friend of mine. He has already won two Pulitzer Prizes.

Don't know what prize he can aim for now...

Some more congratulations to pass, brownie! That photo is awesome! Very strong, and terribly beautiful, too. I guess this is the kind of photo where words really fail.

ubu