The Photography Thread

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Up.

Found this thread from an excellent French photographer, Philippe Gras. Quite a number of interesting images..

http://www.eye-control.net/intro.html

Philippe Gras and Horace were (nearly) always together. Horace has also his website now. A lot of excellent photos are to be seen there, mostly freejazz!

http://horace.photos.free.fr/

Click on 'Musiques' and then on Jazz/Blues and enjoy!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just in case someone is close to Zurich in the weeks to come:

Fotomuseum_06.jpg

http://www.fotomuseum.ch/index.php?id=22

03.09.2005 - 20.11.2005

ROBERT FRANK – STORYLINES

Robert Frank (born in Zurich in 1924) is one of the most important and influential photographers of our time. His contribution to the understanding, the creative and narrative aspects of photography is virtually incalculable. He is the recipient of numerous prizes including the Hasselblad Award in 1996. In collaboration with the Fotomuseum Winterthur and the Fotostiftung Schweiz, the Tate Modern has compiled a large-scale monographic exhibition on the occasion of his 80th birthday. The exhibition will contain over 250 photographs, as well as films, videos and art books selected especially for this exhibition in co-operation with the artist. Robert Frank – Storylines is dedicated to the essence of this oeuvre, which comprises around 60 years work. It introduces the narrative and serial/sequential aspects of his photography and discusses the outstanding significance of this photographer, filmmaker and visual artist.

After attending school in Zurich and training as a photographer in various Swiss photography studios, he emigrated to New York in 1947. With him he took his first book of photographs, which so impressed the art director of Harper's Bazaar that he offered him a job as a studio photographer. Robert Frank subsequently embarked on travels to South America, Europe and the USA that lasted until the mid-1950s and developed his own inimitable style that had a lasting influence on the language of post-war photography. In 1951 he made a series of portraits of the city of London in a time of great tension between poverty and wealth following World War II. In 1953 he went to Caerau in Wales, where he worked on a photo-story about a mining village, and in particular about the miner Ben James and his family.

Two art books, Peru from 1948 and Black White and Things from 1952, demonstrate his interest in a mixture between realistic portrayal, the narrative potential of photographic sequences, and the visual poetry of everyday life. The exhibition will also contain a series of important photographs from the book Les Américaines (1958) / The Americans (1959), which is probably his most famous and influential picture series.

Other unpublished photographs of his travels in America and pictures of the Ford "River Rouge" car factory near Dearborn (Detroit) will be shown together with pictures of the National Democratic Convention in Chicago (1956), which the client Esquire considered too hard and strong to be published in the same year.

A short photo series photographed through the window of a New York bus and entitled simply From the Bus (1958) marks a decisive step in his development. After this series, Robert Frank declared that he intended to give up photography in favour of film. His first film was Pull My Daisy (1959) with an improvised narration by Jack Kerouac. The narrative and cinematographic quality of his photographs is underlined in the exhibition by the confrontation between his semi-autobiographical films Conversations in Vermont (1969), and Home Improvements (1985). Robert Frank returned to photography in the 1970s, with the emphasis on complex constructions with series and sequences of pictures, Polaroids and hand-written texts, stills from films and videos, rather than on the single picture. Robert Frank's latest pictures, including Memory for the Children (2001-2002), examine the world from the inside to the outside and explore the acts of seeing, feeling and thinking – as well as loss, mourning and the ageing process – in metaphors.

The exhibition, which in its original form was curated by Vicente Todolí, director of the Tate Modern, London, and Philip Brookman, curator at the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington DC, has been expanded in Winterthur to include some of Frank's early photographs taken in Switzerland. A series of photographs documenting the Appenzell Landsgemeinde (assembly of the citizens) in Hundwil (1949) will be shown for the first time.

The book "Robert Frank: Storylines" will be issued in connection with the exhibition, as well as a volume of essays on Robert Franks work, edited by the Fotomuseum Winterthur and the Fotostiftung Schweiz, and published by Steidl.

Main sponsor of the exhibition: Swiss Re

With the valuable support of the Federal Office of Culture, the Pro Helvetia Arts Council of Switzerland, the Kulturstiftung der (Spinnerei) Streiff AG, and the Stiftung der Schweizerischen Landesausstellung 1939.

Accompanying events:

Leaving Home, Coming Home:

A Portrait of Robert Frank

13 September 2005, 8 p.m.

11 October 2005, 8 p.m.

8 November 2005, 8 p.m.

Robert Frank und die Beat-Generation –

eine literarische Performance

(Robert Frank and the Beat Generation a Literary Performance)

Produced in collaboration with the Literaturhaus Zurich.

27 September 2005, 8 p.m.

Georg Seeßlen:

Zeit-Bilder, Lebens-Bilder (Time Pictures, Life Pictures)

Lecture

1 November 2005, 8 p.m.

My Robert Frank …

Hans Danuser, André Gelpke, Marianne Müller,

Andrea Thal, Brigitta Burger-Utzer

Presenter: Marco Meier

8 November 2005, 8 p.m.

A program organised by the Fotomuseum Winterthur and the Fotostiftung Schweiz

Further information on the program and reservation:

see NEWS/EVENTS

Parallel to the exhibition, the XENIX cinema in Zurich will show films by Robert Frank from 1.9. to 2.10.2005.

Publications on the exhibition:

1. "Robert Frank – Storylines", 208 pages, 243 illustrations, published by Steidl, Göttingen. Price Fr. 59.-

2. Essays über Robert Frank. 160 pages, 12 illustrations, 9 essays and a conversation with Robert Frank. Edited by the Fotomuseum Winterthur and the Fotostiftung Schweiz, published by Steidl, Göttingen. Price Fr. 25.-

12_From_the_Bus_1958_01.jpg

Robert Frank

From the Bus

New York, 1958

© Robert Frank, Courtesy Pace/MacGill Gallery, New York

Chicago_1956_Jackie_01.jpg

Robert Frank

Chicago, 1958

Political_Ralley_1956_01.jpg

Robert Frank

Political Rally – Chicago, 1956

14_frank_a_01.jpg

Robert Frank Mabou – Sick of Goodby’s, 1978 Gelatine-silver print, 47,8 x 33 cm

© Robert Frank / Courtesy Pace/MacGill Gallery, New York

Edited by king ubu

Starting today at SF MoMA is: Robert Adams: Turning Back, A Photographic Journal of Re-exploration. A show based on Lewis & Clark. Sounds very interesting.

Inspired by the bicentennial of the Lewis and Clark expedition, photographer Robert Adams's most recent work presents a new look at the territory these explorers covered and the results of their effort. Titled Turning Back: A Photographic Journal of Re-exploration, the project considers the explorers' historic journey as they returned to the East. Starting at the Pacific, Adams traveled along the Columbia River, recording the geography and how the land has been used. His photographs show the coastal tourist areas, the vast acreage of timber cultivation and clear-cutting further inland, and the small family farms of eastern Oregon. The pictures offer a reflection on the promise described by Lewis and Clark — a meditation on what was lost and what is retained, what we value regionally and as a people with a common history.

Saw today this recently released photo book (brochure would be the appropriate term) by Hollywood photographer Bob Willoughy. It's called 'West Coast' and has a selection of some of the most famous Willoughy took while covering the jazz scene in the '50s. It's being published by Filigranes. The photos were part of an exhibition of Willoughby photos gathered this Summer in Enghien, north of Paris. Never heard of it and missed the show...

Some of the photos are visible on this link (in French):

http://artazart.com/fr/index.htm

Click on 'photo' on the left side of the page and go to 'Filigranes éd.', then go down to the near bottom of the page. Click on West Coast (the Gerry Mulligan photo).

You can view some of the photos when you click on 'Cliquez pour voir plus'.

Enjoy!

There is a striking (and awesome) photo of Miles Davis in a relaxed pose that I had never seen before.

Still intrigued by the other photo of Miles on the left side. I have seen that one before. It is supposed to have been taken at a 1950 JATP in Los Angeles. The tenor player is Budd Johnson and the piano player might be John Lewis. Did not know that Miles had played with the Jazz at the Philharmonic at the time.

Willoughby was a photo giant. He retired years ago and is currently residing in southern France.

• 4 weeks later...

Was just recently in Paris and saw half of this exhibit - on the gates of the Jardin du Luxembourg: FNAC at Senat. It is sponsored by the Senat and is drawn from the photograph collection of FNAC. Here's another link -- with photos that can be downloaded -- about the FNAC collection tour in 2004: FNAC in 2004

I thought there was an exhibition catalog, and I was tired so I only walked around and saw half the photos (wife wasn't really that interested either). I guess there is an exhibition catalog by Mazzotta, but it is pretty hard to come by (there is, however, a free 12 page flier available at the Senat bookshop across the street). If I succeed in scoring the Mazzotta catalog, I will post again. One image on the gates not included in these websites but perhaps in the Mazzotta publication was a great shot of Elvin Jones.

Here's one image from the gates:

Edited by ejp626

I forgot to post this after I went to the re-opened MOMA, but one of the most spectacular, new pieces there is After Invisible Man by Jeff Wall. For a while a huge image was floating around on the web, but I don't have that at hand. This is what I could find in a quick search:

Anyway, I think it is a sign I've been hanging out here too much, but the very first thing I keyed in on was the record player and the fact that the man is dressed in sort of 1950s clothes (or even 1930s). I thought - wow a picture of a Wynton acolyte who is reliving the glory days when jazz mattered. Then I looked at the light bulbs and the rest of the story came together. I probably wouldn't have thought of Wynton had I read the title first. Anyway, what a brilliant picture illustrating one of the great works of American 20th C literature. Read it if you haven't yet!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow, most impressive! Just had a look at the whole series of photographs. Thanks for having posted that link!

What made me look up this thread again, in the first place, is a great exhibition of Erich Salomon's work that I saw on Saturday. Here are a couple I found with google:

314_457_salomon_ah_le_voila.jpg

"Ah, le voilà" (Paris, August 1931): Aristide Briand becomes aware of Salomon being present and shouts: "Ah, le voilà! Le roi des indiscrets!"

fm000014.jpg

Mussolini at the Hotel Excelsior, Rome, August 1931.

The exhibition grouped photographs thematically and was in fact rather astonishing. Pretty sad that he was to be gassed in Auschwitz... after having been one of the most outstanding documentarists of Germany between the two world wars, and having been on good terms with nice fellas such as Furtwängler and a bunch of politicians... but by then, I guess he was to them nothing but another dirty jew... :bad:

Wish I could see that Erich Salomon exhibition! Salomon did pioneering work in modern photojournalism.

French Premier Aristide Briand who appears delighted in noticing Salomon in the photo that Ubu posted also said that no political gathering could be deemed important unless Salomon was present.

There is a prestigious Dr. Erich Salomon Prize for lifetime achievement in photography that is awarded annually in Germany.

The 2005 Prize went to my former boss and great friend Horst Faas.

Wish I could see that Erich Salomon exhibition! Salomon did pioneering work in modern photojournalism.

French Premier Aristide Briand who appears delighted in noticing Salomon in the photo that Ubu posted also said that no political gathering could be deemed important unless Salomon was present.

I caught it on Saturday, and on Sunday it closed... I might have gone another time, if not...

There were a series of great photos of events where Salomon, in fact, was not allowed entrance. Yet his photos, shot from outside of the rooms or buildings, are just as telling!

The only one I can find on the www:

103978-3.jpg

Hats of the German Reichskanzler, his foreign minister, and hats of the french delegation, Lausanne, 1932.

erich_salomon_3.jpg

self-portrait, taken during a 5 minute interview done at NBC's, NYC, 1930

erich_salomon_4_gross.jpg

NSDAP politicians waiting to enter the Reichstag (no date)

erich_salomon_1_gross.jpg

View from ferry at Ellis Island, NY, ca. 1932

Wish I could see that Erich Salomon exhibition! Salomon did pioneering work in modern photojournalism.French Premier Aristide Briand who appears delighted in noticing Salomon in the photo that Ubu posted also said that no political gathering could be deemed important unless Salomon was present.

There is a prestigious Dr. Erich Salomon Prize for lifetime achievement in photography that is awarded annually in Germany.

The 2005 Prize went to my former boss and great friend Horst Faas.

:tup

• 2 months later...

Retrospective

Salomon, Erich [ ISBN:3829600321 ] 49,80€

With his candid camera, Erich Salomon sneaked into high security political meetings to take intimate pictures of the inner circles of society and politics in the 30s. Accompanying a major travelling exhibition, this book explores his oeuvre in the context of the photography, the photo technology, and the media history of his time.

Schirmer/Mosel. English/German edition - 3-8296-0032-1.

Salomon_neu.jpg

I don't have the book - it didn't feel right to buy the book after having seen the photos (some old prints and some newer ones).