Laurie Frink 1951-2013

HolgerFreimutSchrick

Sorry to hear of this. I didn't know her work but a number of trumpeters I know seem to be deeply affected by the loss.

RIP.

Yes indeed, she seems to have been an important teacher to many. Here's part of a blog entry by Dave Douglas:

Laurie has been my trumpet teacher for over a decade, and I know many other trumpeters who rely on her for advice and counsel. She is the kind of gifted teacher who takes a personal interest in her students, crafting exercises specifically to their needs. She has also made herself available in emergencies I once called her for advice from Zurich, in panic on the day of a recording session. She called right back and listened to me play over the phone. She gave me several exercises to do to work out the issues. Something about it really clicked, though I would be hard pressed to tell you how I did go into the studio with Tiny Bell Trio that day to record Constellations.

I heard Frink play lead in person with the Gerry Mulligan band that recorded "Walk On the Water." She and the band sounded terrific, and her contribution was crucial because, a la Artie Shaw, Mulligan wanted his trumpet section to pretty much sound like violins, and that ain't easy. The band's recording of "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You" from that album is a fine example. Here's another, "A Song for Strayhorn," from a live concert (in grainy video):

BTW, I hope Chuck doesn't cringe or want to throw things, but whenever I see Mulligan of about this vintage in action, something in his speech and demeanor reminds me of Chuck.

Laurie Frink was a kind of guru to a whole community of NYC trumpet players, including many well known names. Not only her mastery of the art of trumpet but also her dedication to her students inspired great love from them, and in certain cases she literally saved careers.
One juicy anecdote that Crowley related to me from a lesson with Laurie was about Freddie Hubbard. Freddie made at least two appointments to see Laurie, but for whatever reason he never showed. On one occasion, he was playing at the Vanguard and asked Laurie to come see him. After struggling through the set, he announced on mic, "This is the person who is going to fix me!"
Laurie told Jon, "I know exactly what to do to fix him. He just won't come in."