Jaimeo Brown: Transcendence

CJ Shearn

Listening now and this debut album from drummer Jaimeo Brown is stunning. Using sampled spirituals from the Gee Bend Alabama Quilters, Indian drones and vocals and electronics it creates a unique sonic world. Sometimes it happens in the course of the same tune but creating a oneness of seemingly disparate elements. If you don't like samples, electronics and ambient influences pass this album by, but for those with an open mind, check it out. One of the best I've heard this year along with "Tap", the Jarrett and Ed Simon discs.

Yes, it is amazing because it sheds light on a part of history and the will of people to survive and thrive. Also the way it draws on different spiritual traditions and showing the unity that can exist is great, I feel. Only person I think could come up with a record in this manner would be Terence Blanchard. I haven't heard magnetic but "Choices" was unique also.

I expected/hoped to enjoy this recording more than I actually did. I tried to listen to it a couple of times and simply could not connect with it. Perhaps I am just not one that totally appreciates samples, electronics and ambient influences as the OP described. I may return to it at some point, but for now this is far from one of the best recordings I have heard this year.

Sorry for the extremely short notice but there are 5 hours left to hear this group play about 20-25 minutes live (they may or may not have been playing samples in the background). Listen here.

To be honest, I wasn't that taken by it, and I don't imagine I would like the CD either. I just am allergic to the spiritual side of jazz.

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the listen.

It did sound a bit like two very, very, very, good musicians, in communion with each other in a rehearsal room - with a speaker system picking up transient interference from a Gospel radio station. The latter track was the same - except substitute Gospel radio station with Chinese one.

I was listening through the compromised technology of my internal Macbook audio though.

What was also interesting, however, was the interview stuff. Where there was an almost apologetic tone for introducing a Black-centric Music Culture into a "European Jazz' context.

And then, further embarrassment was flagged, when the interviewer proclaimed basically, that, 'there was still something relevant to be mined from said traditions!

The marginalisation process has obviously moved to 'what was'.

Weight of numbers I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard Jaimeo on the Bob Edwards show a couple of months ago. Very thoughtful guy and I liked the couple of tracks they played off of his new album. I certainly can see how someone not so enthralled with the spiritual side of this music might be underwhelmed but I found much of it quite moving.