George Shearing Quintet MGM Era on CD?

Teasing the Korean

We've had numerous George Shearing threads, but I have not been able to find one devoted specifically to the quintet from this era.

Has there ever been any kind of definitive CD set covering this material, and if so, how is the sound?

Do you think the master tapes for this music still exist?

I have the Verve double LP from the 70s, and there are some glaring omissions.

I have, I think, all of the MGM LP collections through the years, on both 10" and 12". Side one of "An Evening With" was transferred at a woefully slow speed that I was able to correct digitally.

I would love a box set of this stuff on CD with good sound.

This one should fit the bill for comprehensive coverage of the MGM years (European P.D. reissue). No idea about how the sound rates compared to other (piecemeal or older) releases, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Quintet-Studio-Sessions-1949-1954/dp/B007JYQTEG/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1376860267&sr=8-11&keywords=George+Shearing+complete

Edited by Big Beat Steve

The sound on that United Archives box set is okay - I compared the sound of the tracks available on Verve compilations, and couldn't hear much of a difference. It is not really complete as it omitts the solo piano tracks as well as those where Shearing played accordion.

The Shearing MGM discography is a mess, he was so popular in those years that MGM and later Verve released those tracks in any possible format, 78s, 45s, 10 inch, 12 inch, you name it - but in the CD era, there were only two single CD compilations centering on the early quintet with Marjorie Hyams. Even the "complete" double LP featuring that Quintet edition that the Japanese reissued on CD omitted solo piano tracks. Of the band with Tjader only two or three tracks made it to CD. I agree that the music is very good, short tracks but of a high musica level throughout, with nice arrangements and a wide range of styles.

The Shearing MGMs would make a nice Mosaic, but .... chances are some source material was destroyed by the fire in the MGM vaults a few years ago.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread I started a while back.

Thanks Mike and Steve for the replies.

There is also this set, a four-CD set of covering 1939 to 1958:

http://www.amazon.com/Collection-1939-58-George-Shearing/dp/B006T307NW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1430611743&sr=8-4&keywords=george+shearing+box

I would assume that it is not as complete as the aforementioned set in terms of the quintet stuff for MGM, but I wonder about the sound.

I guess I will get around to picking up that other set one of these days...

The complete track list of the Acrobat box can be found here. It covers a wide timespan from his early British years to Capitol sessions from 1957. But much of this material is/was reissued before. There is a CD with the Savoy sides, and most of the Capitol CD reissues have bonus material - the solo piano adds a whole 'nother LP recorded at the same sessions. I'd rather get the single reissues and the MGM box - I doubt Verve will do their own version.

Thanks Mike.

I am listening now to a Verve double-LP collection of the the MGM stuff. The sound is really good.

I guess I will get that box. I am not familiar with the trio sessions from that era, but some of the solo tracks are outstanding, like "Summertime" and "Tenderly."

I was also listening to his (I believe) first Capitol LP, The Shearing Spell. That is a really solid album in terms of presentation, arrangements, song selection, improvisation, and, of course, Capitol's superb 1950s mono recording technique. I wish he had done more albums like this.

• 3 months later...

Well, I finally picked up that four-CD box.  Agreed, sound is OK, some tracks sound better than others, they certainly sound better than the MGM LPs.

It is interesting to see the chronology.  In particular there is that one date with Cal Tjader and Armando Peraza that must have had a huge effect on Cal, considering his solo career.  

This material dates from 1949 to 1954.  I wonder how many of these sessions were recorded on tape, as opposed to disc, and I wonder if the masters exist. 

• 6 years later...

So I've used that red George Shearing Quintet box to replicate some of the 1950s MGM LPs (which I realize were comps). There are a few missing quintet tracks.  For example, I cannot find "I Didn't Know What Time it Was," unless it is mislabeled.

I adore this version of "When Your Lover Has Gone."

The red box has all quintet tracks but those early ones on which Shearing played accordion, and omits the solo tracks. Verve only did compilaions. There is a good sounding CD on HEP of the tracks with Hyams.

There are some mistakes in the red box booklet track listings.

Edited by mikeweil

1 minute ago, mikeweil said:

The red box has all quintet tracks but those early ones on which Shearing played accordion, and omits the solo tracks. Verve only did compilaions. There is a good soundinh CD on HEP of the tracks with Hyams.

There are some mistakes in the red box booklet track listings.

My copy is missing at least one quintet track, "I Didn't Know What Time it Was," unless it is incorrectly unidentified.

On the bright side, I count 24 tracks that did not appear on any of the 7 MGM LPs released in the US in the 1950s.

17 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

CD 1, track 9!

Thank you!  

You know why I didn't find it?

It is spelled on the CD "Did'nt"

When I searched for "I Didn't," it didn't show up.  I mean it did'nt show up! ;)

Now I just need to waddle over to Qobuz to buy lossless versions of "Tenderly" and "Summertime" so I can complete the "You're Hearing George Shearing" album.  

So I have completed my task of re-sequencing the red Shearing box set into playlists consisting of the following MGM albums:

• You're Hearing George Shearing and Touch of Genius
  • I Hear Music and When Lights Are Low (10" version without the vocal numbers added to the 12")
  • An Evening With and Shearing Caravan
  • Shearing in Hi-Fi

I added the stray tracks from the box set to the Shearing in Hi-Fi playlist.  I omitted the vocal numbers, with the exception of the four tracks with the Ray Charles Singers.

I realize that these albums are compilations to begin with, but the sequences are so engrained in my head that it is very nice to re-experience these albums digitally.  It is like reconnecting with old friends. 

I also created this Shearing exotica playlist using all tracks from the red box:

1. Mambo Inn
  2. The Breeze and I
  3. Drum Trouble
  4. So This is Cuba
  5. Caravan
  6. In a Chinese Garden
  7. Cool Mambo
  8. Stranger in Paradise
  9. Drum Negrita
  10. There's a Lull in My Life
  11. November Seascape
  12. Sorry Wrong Rhumba
  13. Tempo de Cencerro

Edited by Teasing the Korean

10 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

There was a similar compilation on MGM 10" LP 4041, Satin Latin. https://www.discogs.com/master/834282-The-George-Shearing-Quintet-Satin-Latin

Interesting, never saw this!  I think I used the same Latin tracks, but expanded a little further into exotica territory!

33 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Are these two the only Shearing MGM LPs with Tjader?

• An Evening With and Shearing Caravan
  • Shearing in Hi-Fi

The MGM LPs were comps of 78s/45s, and I'm not sure if there was a rhyme or reason to how they were compiled.  The Red CD box pictured above gives personnel, so I could tell you which tracks he is on.

On 20.2.2022 at 5:30 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

So I have completed my task of re-sequencing the red Shearing box set into playlists consisting of the following MGM albums:

• You're Hearing George Shearing and Touch of Genius

Since you mention it expressly and I just happened to read the review of "Touch of Genius" a day or two ago in the November 1954 issue of "Orkester Journalen" I could not resist the temptation of quoting it here for your erudition and enjoyment: :lol:

"You really get sore at this platter even before you have given it a spin. Have you ever come across such a pretentious album title? Is Shearing a genius and are these sides intended to prove it? If so, then we'll quit our job as record reviewers and settle for making a living as beet growers.

Well, we tried to look beyond MGM's titling fancy, but kind as we tried to be, our impression was a rather lukewarm one. One prerequisite to listening to the entire record in one go is to be seated on a truly uncomfortable and hard-faced upright chair that keeps you from dozing away to the group's sugar-sweet and indifferent sounds.

Shearing enthusiasts will be interested to learn that Loose Leaf is one of his better tunes whereas the rest is part of those that will soon fade into oblivion again, regardless of how fanatic a follower of this style music one is.

For jazz fans this record amounts to a pure sleeping pill, and it is an ideal choice as background music for party chatter. Strictly speaking we don't even know why we included it in our review section - it must have been that "Touch of Genius" tag that made us take notice ..."

:D

BTW, for the record, while I do not own this particular LP I do like the MGM-era George Shearing recordings that I have (the Verve twofer plus various other period LPs). ^_^

4 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Since you mention it expressly and I just happened to read the review of "Touch of Genius" a day or two ago in the November 1954 issue of "Orkester Journalen" I could not resist the temptation of quoting it here for your erudition and enjoyment: :lol:

"You really get sore at this platter even before you have given it a spin. Have you ever come across such a pretentious album title? Is Shearing a genius and are these sides intended to prove it? If so, then we'll quit our job as record reviewers and settle for making a living as beet growers.

Well, we tried to look beyond MGM's titling fancy, but kind as we tried to be, our impression was a rather lukewarm one. One prerequisite to listening to the entire record in one go is to be seated on a truly uncomfortable and hard-faced upright chair that keeps you from dozing away to the group's sugar-sweet and indifferent sounds.

Shearing enthusiasts will be interested to learn that Loose Leaf is one of his better tunes whereas the rest is part of those that will soon fade into oblivion again, regardless of how fanatic a follower of this style music one is.

For jazz fans this record amounts to a pure sleeping pill, and it is an ideal choice as background music for party chatter. Strictly speaking we don't even know why we included it in our review section - it must have been that "Touch of Genius" tag that made us take notice ..."

:D

BTW, for the record, while I do not own this particular LP I do like the MGM-era George Shearing recordings that I have (the Verve twofer plus various other period LPs). ^_^

Thanks for shearing! :D 

17 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Are these two the only Shearing MGM LPs with Tjader?

• An Evening With and Shearing Caravan
  • Shearing in Hi-Fi

My memory is correct - missing are two tracks. 

- I Hear A Rhapsody from the March 12, 1953 session (Tjader's first with Shearing)

- Mambo Inn from the March 28, 1954 session (the last with Tjader)

All other tracks of Shearing with Tjader are on these two LPs. Six sessions with four tracks each, totalling 24. 22 are on those two LPs. 

That review Big Beat Steve posted is a typical example of the hard swinging jazz police. No ear for the intricate arrangements.