amina claudine myers

alocispepraluger102

I think I have her on two albums, but I can only remember one of them - that's 'Blue Blood', by James Blood Ullmer. Nice!

MG

You've got Blue Blood MG!

There's a good Grace Jones rip-off on that album. :D

And another one from one of those hipster UK bands of the time. But I just see that as Blood and the crew re-appropriating back the chord progression from those young whippersnapers.

MI0002782166.jpg

Just about to finish a first listen to "Duet" ... can anyone tell me who's in which channel? Sounds like it's always the same split/aural situation, but I wouldn't really be sure, not being as familiar with Myers or Abrams as I feel I should be (well, I'm working on it!)

Btw, the first album with Amina on that I really fell in love with is this one, probably a bit off topic, but it deserves each and every mention, in my opinion:

B001V6564W.01-A17SFUTIVB227Z._SX420_SCLZ

I think I have her on two albums, but I can only remember one of them - that's 'Blue Blood', by James Blood Ullmer. Nice!

MG

You've got Blue Blood MG!

There's a good Grace Jones rip-off on that album. :D

And another one from one of those hipster UK bands of the time. But I just see that as Blood and the crew re-appropriating back the chord progression from those young whippersnapers.

I agree.

MG

I was always waiting for Blood to record his great 'latter day' Organ session album in a Jazz vein.

When I saw Amina Claudine Myers name involved in a project I thought it might be happening.

But they focussed on the R&B Gospel aspect of the culture. Which they obviously also share.

There was a live session with Arthur Blythe, Blood and Lonnie Smith recorded a few years ago, but from what I read it might not have been an organ/guitar/sax focussed session.

Then there was the James Carter Organ band that had Blood involved, but he was using his more current tinny processed guitar tone, so it nullified the true power and beauty of the Hammond and Guitar blend.

Love all her work (only exception being the 2nd "poppish" album she did for Novus...the first one was also aimed there, but succeeded better, imo).

Song For Mother E is one of the on-the-verge-of-becoming-lost Great Post-Larry Young B-3 albums.

What I wouldn't give to hear (or have experienced) her backing Jug on B-3 back in the day...maybe somebody's got something somewhere...

Love that clip...Pheeroan is absolutely blazing there.......

Yeah, that's a strong one. I don't have much of her work in the stacks but what I have I very much enjoy. Saw her live with Shepp several years ago and it was excellent on all counts.

• 5 years later...