RIP Frank D'Rone

sgcim

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bennett is on "the Ratpack side of things"? I've never heard the least bit of ring-a-ding-ding from him. The Bennett album for skeptics to hear IMO is this one, with Ruby Braff and George Barnes:

http://www.amazon.com/Tony-Bennett-Sings-Rodgers-Songbook/dp/B0009IW8XU/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1381155106&sr=1-1&keywords=bennett+rodgers

This performance in particular:

He's still only one croon away.

Bennett is on "the Ratpack side of things"? I've never heard the least bit of ring-a-ding-ding from him. The Bennett album for skeptics to hear IMO is this one, with Ruby Braff and George Barnes:

http://www.amazon.com/Tony-Bennett-Sings-Rodgers-Songbook/dp/B0009IW8XU/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1381155106&sr=1-1&keywords=bennett+rodgers

This performance in particular:

He's still only one croon away.

But I for one don't feel that Rat Pack style performing and behavior had that much to do with crooning/romantic balladeering per se. Rather, it was, a matter of ring-a-ding-dingness, i.e. bad-boy horsing around or worse, and thus in effect was at the opposite emotional pole from the Sinatra who so sublimely sang, say, "Willow Weep For Me" on "Only the Lonely" or "I'm a Fool To Want You" on "Where Are You?" And I hear no Rat Packness in Bennett's "Lover"; rather I hear, for want of a better term, intensely dramatized sincerity. Nor am I aware that Bennett himself out there in the world ever indulged in any Rat Pack-like behavior.

That, sir, was the song coming to life. Not very pretty is it, somebody demanding that they have rainbows made for them (by whom? Somebody? Something" Life its very self? AAAAAARRRRRGGHHHH!!!!!).

Kind of a pathetically naive clueless, Liza-ish fuzzygoo-fest, eh? Not a dreamer-song, but an ode to candy-coated infantile delusionality.

Good changes are not enough.

and when a dude sings it, god, that's ever worse.

Rat Pack with neither rats nor packs, so then what?

• 1 year later...

Stumbled across two dynamite segments of Hef's "Playboy's Penthouse" that feature Frank D'Rone circa 1960. At times he sounds like a cross between Sinatra and Nat Cole, leaning toward the former on ballads and the latter on the swingers. The improvisation in his 2nd chorus on "I'll Remember April" is frequently thrilling, especially the bridge ad the soaring leap up to sing and stretch the word "autumn" in the line "I'm not afraid of auuuu-tumn and her sorrows." at the 7 minute mark. The camera at the moment is on one of the women whose reaction -- that smile! -- is just perfect. She gets it.

I was born to attend a party like this.

Edited by Mark Stryker

Hef had good taste in jazz or jazz-tinged singers. Another very talented Chicagoan Hef liked and who like D’Rone played guitar, was Johnny Janis. Hef bankrolled Janis’ superb album “Once in a Blue Moon”:

http://www.amazon.com/once-blue-moon-JOHNNY-JANIS/dp/B00410ZEZQ/ref=sr_1_9?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1416695757&sr=1-9&keywords=johnny+janis

I was in touch with Janis a few years ago; he lived in Nashville and had a website where his records, including an unreleased at the time it was made (1962) gem with Ira Sullivan and Doda Marmarosa (!), were available, but the website is no more.

Chilly Carn Carney!

Those Playboy clips make me think of Jackie Paris without the psychodrama...but I kinda get into Paris's psychodrama.

Still, a skinny guy who sings that well and can work the singerbodylanguage (where do you go to learn that, anyway?) as well as that. geez, skills out the ass!

The chick sitting by the piano bench is getting it from jump, she don't need to get hit by it, she's already hit with it!

Yes, but if you look closely during the various long shots you can see that even before the brunette's big smile she's very coolly snapping on 2 & 4. She's in there from the start, and that demeanor tells you not only is she hip, she don't need to be the center of attention. So, tell you what: I can spot Trouble a mile away, so good luck with the blonde on the bench, Now, if you'll excuse me ..

"Hey, baby, is this seat taken? Let me buy you a drink."

Edited by Mark Stryker

About Johnny Janis -- he's still with us, thanks be. His website is no more, but he says that his albums can be purchased from him at:

johnnyjanissr@gmail.com

They're all worth hearing if you enjoy the style of jazz-tinged popular singing singing that Frank D'Rone and Janis represent in their individual ways. I particularly recommend "Jazz Up Your Life" (with Ira Sullivan and Dodo Marmarosa) and "Once in a Blue Moon," romantic ballads with Don Costa, which for me is right up there with Sinatra's "Only the Lonely."

This is a really solid 1979 piece here from Larry, though I think he's too hard on Torme/Murphy, judging them not by their best work but their worst excesses. Still, I know what he's getting at ....

I would have really liked to hear D'Rone at this point in his life. There are recordings from this period, right? http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1979/07/06/page/40/article/drone-a-truly-mature-vocalist/index.html

(Use the "+" button to increase the size of the print and drag the cursor down the text to scroll)

Edited by Mark Stryker

This is a really solid 1979 piece here from Larry, though I think he's too hard on Torme/Murphy, judging them not by their best work but their worst excesses. Still, I know what he's getting at ....

I would have really liked to hear D'Rone at this point in his life. There are recordings from this period, right? http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1979/07/06/page/40/article/drone-a-truly-mature-vocalist/index.html

(Use the "+" button to increase the size of the print and drag the cursor down the text to scroll)

No recordings from this period that I'm aware of. BTW, I say something about that gig allowing Frank to polish his guitar chops. I don't think that was the case; his guitar chops were always there. Also, contrary to what the review says, Frank was as much a swinger as he was a balladeer. The critic's disease -- trying to sound like you really "know" something when you probably don't.