Anyone have the Duane Allman- Skydog- Box set

jazzkrow

Surprised that no one on the Board has heard or has this set...

It got rave reviews when the deluxe set came out and sold out quickly.

Wonder how many of the songs were recorded in Muscle Shoals.

BTW, if you get a chance to catch the new Muscle Shoals documentary, it is outstanding...

Surprised that no one on the Board has heard or has this set...

It got rave reviews when the deluxe set came out and sold out quickly.

Wonder how many of the songs were recorded in Muscle Shoals.

BTW, if you get a chance to catch the new Muscle Shoals documentary, it is outstanding...

Agree about the Muscle Shoals doc.!

I looked at Skydog & even at the reduced price still couldn't pull the trigger.

I just listen to Allman Bros. Live At The Fillmore when I need their music.

• 3 weeks later...

I had just about decided not to get this box, I already had much of the material. But there were so many intriguing-looking tracks I didn't have that I kept thinking about it. Then, a few days ago, I unexpectedly found a hundred dollar bill in a drawer; I think that it was a long-forgotten gift from my late father-in-law. So I headed down to my favorite local brick-and-mortar store and picked up the Skydog set.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about it. As Alexandros said above, it's an excellently-presented overview of Duane's career, with lots of rare tracks. The sound is very good (except for Barry Goldberg's "Twice a Man," which is a mess), and the booklet is very nice. However, the best of DA's sideman recordings have already been collected on the two double-disc Duane Allman Anthology albums. And the decision to include the entire first Allman Brothers Band album here is very strange - almost anybody who would consider buying this set is already going to have that album. And Duane's contributions to a few of the tracks are minimal, with no guitar solos.

But, that being said, I'm still very glad to have this. There is still plenty of stuff I didn't already have, and much of it is excellent, or at least interesting. And of course, hearing it chronologically gives a different perspective to even the familiar material. I would say that if you don't have the two Anthology albums, getting Skydog would be well worth it. And it's probably worth getting to replace those albums, with all the additional material. Like I said, the bottom line is that I'm glad to have it.

• 3 weeks later...