Mickey Roker Interview

paul secor

Dandy. Thanks.

"EI: I believe it. I bet Dizzy didn’t pay as well as Nancy Wilson.

MR: No. Nobody paid like that. Most of those guys are selfish guys. Lee Morgan paid me more money than Dizzy Gillespie, and that’s a shame. Them guys are cheap. Bags, all of them were cheap. Sonny Rollins was generous. Stanley Turrentine: cheap! Most of those guys paid us as little as they could. (Laughs) I worked with guys with lesser names and make better money than I do with the guys with the names. It’s selfish."

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Dandy, dandy!

I was involved with Mickey when he toured with Joe Locke. Wonderful man, and so is Bob Cranshaw.

When Joe toured Italy with them in the Milt Jackson Tribute Band (led by Joe), he gave up some of his fee to Mickey and Bob because he felt that the promoter wasn't paying them enough. Consequentially, they made more cash than he did on the tour, but Joe wouldn't have it any other way.

I have loved and admired Mickey Roker since the '60s. I loved his drumming style and was able to see him perform live in many settings such as with Dizzy, Carmen and Bags. every time I hear "New Girl" from Duke Pearson's Big Band album, I smile and get excited. Mickey always supplied some laughs as well with his hysterical impressions of singers like Billy Eckstine. it made me sad though to read that after years with so many family members living in the house, he is now there alone. that is very poignant, to say the least. Bless you, Mickey.

Yes, great interview.

Saw Mikey Roker on several times, mostly with Diz, maybe with some others too, but I am not sure. But I love everything he did on record.

Drummers are very important to me. I can´t enjoy a record if the drummer isn´t good.

And Mr. Roker sure is one of the greats. Every musician must be glad to work with someone like him......

about Ray Brown - years ago Al Gaffa was working with Al Haig at Gregory's, and one night he gave us an earful about how much he could not stand to work with Ray Brown, for the EXACT reasons Roker gives; over the years I have mentioned this to people who have looked at me like I was crazy (well, I THINK that was why they were looking at me like that). At any rate, glad to read Roker on this; Gaffa's complaint was primarily musical (that Brown just hogged all the rhythm space) but I think now he was also referring to the personality behind the bass.

about Ray Brown - years ago Al Gaffa was working with Al Haig at Gregory's, and one night he gave us an earful about how much he could not stand to work with Ray Brown, for the EXACT reasons Roker gives; over the years I have mentioned this to people who have looked at me like I was crazy (well, I THINK that was why they were looking at me like that). At any rate, glad to read Roker on this; Gaffa's complaint was primarily musical (that Brown just hogged all the rhythm space) but I think now he was also referring to the personality behind the bass.

There's some good insight into Ray Brown in Gene Lees' Friends Along the Way.http://www.amazon.com/Friends-Along-Way-Journey-Through/dp/0300099673 Edited by fasstrack