first review of Field Recordings: Mulatto Radio -

What's included in the bonus disc, Allen?

from Allen's

BE ONE OF THE FIRST 50 TO ORDER AND RECEIVE A FREE BONUS CDR WITH RARE AND SEMI-RELEASED RECORDINGS, INCLDING ONE FROM THE OLD KNITTING FACTORY WITH JULIUS HEMPHILL, AND A CUT FROM OUR NEW ROBERT JOHNSON SOUNDTRACK WITH GARY BARTZ AS WELL AS SOME NEVER-BEFORE TRACKS GIVEN ME BY JOE ALBANY AND SOME NEWLY DISCOVERED PERCY FRANCE CUTS.

The (one) Percy France cut, "Ornithology" (c. 1980 with Jeff Fuller on bass) - is terrific! There's also one by Albany with a sax player I've never heard of (Dickey Myers, tune is "What Is This Thing Called Love", ca. 1979). Then there's a great cut with Hemphill from the album "New Tango" (rec. 1992) as well as two from the (upcoming, I sure hope!) project "Man with the Guitar: The White Machine" (rec. 2013, one with Gary Bartz, the other with DJ Logic). Very enjoyable!

Just finished my first complete spin of this set - and it's very, very good! Guitarist Ray Suhy often is truly amazing, and the tuba of Christopher Meeder adds plenty of spice.

Matthew Shipp, Ursula Oppens and Dean Bowman each have their two-part contribution (sequenced apart of each other in all cases), Kalaparusha and JD Allen are each on about half a dozen tracks and both contribute stellar playing. So do Ken Peplowski (one trio with bass and the piano of Lewis Porter) and Randy Sandke (half a dozen or so ensemble cuts with Peplowski). Lewis Porter does a series of piano solos that are very fine ... and then there's Allen's sax playing of course - not really sure how to describe it, the tone (alto mostly) is big and old-school, more like a tenor out of the Hawkins/Webster line often ... and thick and heavy too (like Jackie but with different - some would say: better - intonation) ... the lines though often reminded me of some of those great classic Oliver Nelson solos, they sound spontaneous yet very well-conceived. (Do feel free to blush for a second, Allen, it's really good what you do on these discs!)

Obviously there's lots of interesting, on-the-mark and tongue-in-cheek comments in the accompanying booklet .. Allen is kind of weaving a web that entangles ragtime, Harlem Renaissance, minstrelsy, Whiteman, James Reese Europe, Zora Neale Hurston, Bud Powell, Monk, Bird, Bunk Johnson, Lennie Tristano and so much more ... truly a fascinating and deeply personal (yet in my understanding most valid) look at the history of our beloved music. The best part of it though is: you don't need all the learned talk and intelligent insight provided in the comments - the music speaks for itself, loud and clear.

What's included in the bonus disc, Allen?

from Allen's

BE ONE OF THE FIRST 50 TO ORDER AND RECEIVE A FREE BONUS CDR WITH RARE AND SEMI-RELEASED RECORDINGS, INCLDING ONE FROM THE OLD KNITTING FACTORY WITH JULIUS HEMPHILL, AND A CUT FROM OUR NEW ROBERT JOHNSON SOUNDTRACK WITH GARY BARTZ AS WELL AS SOME NEVER-BEFORE TRACKS GIVEN ME BY JOE ALBANY AND SOME NEWLY DISCOVERED PERCY FRANCE CUTS.

The (one) Percy France cut, "Ornithology" (c. 1980 with Jeff Fuller on bass) - is terrific! There's also one by Albany with a sax player I've never heard of (Dickey Myers, tune is "What Is This Thing Called Love", ca. 1979). Then there's a great cut with Hemphill from the album "New Tango" (rec. 1992) as well as two from the (upcoming, I sure hope!) project "Man with the Guitar: The White Machine" (rec. 2013, one with Gary Bartz, the other with DJ Logic). Very enjoyable!

Thanks KU, I thought there was some more information somewhere.

Any chance that either you or Allen could provide a full track and personnel listing?

I've still barely scratched the surface, listening wise, but first impressions are extremely positive. Love the liner notes, really add to the immersion. Like Blues and the Empirical Truth i can tell that this is going to be music to really get lost in.

Just a random word of thanks from an iTunes user: i really appreciate that all the track info was loaded in to Gracenote or where ever else it was loaded. I was bracing myself to have to manually enter 4 discs worth of track titles etc. Was doubly stoked that the bonus disc info was also already in iTunes! Above and beyond.

Allen, i really enjoyed reading your thoughts on Bud Powell. Is there any chance you'd be willing to share what some of your favourite recordings of Bud's are? Thanks for your time.

hi - 1) here's the bonus CD listing: (Bud recommendations to follow) -

Field Recordings Bonus CD

1) Slave Rebellion 4:14

Gary Bartz – alto saxophone

Allen Lowe – tenor saxophone

Lewis Porter – piano

Christopher Meeder – tuba

Jeff Fuller – bass

Jake Millet – electronic drums

Recorded: Brooklyn, 9/21/13

(from the Soundtrack to Man with Guitar: The White Machine)

2) What is this Thing called Love 6:46

Joe Albany –piano

Dickey Myers – alto saxophone

Recorded off of a radio broadcast at the

State University of New York at Binghamton, ca. 1979

3) Ornithology 8:05

Percy France – tenor saxophone

Jeff Fuller – bass rec. NYC ca. 1980

4) Blue Ballade 2:53

Allen Lowe – alto saxophone

Christopher Meeder: tuba

DJ logic: turntables

Recorded: 9/21/13

5) March of the Vipers

Julius Hemphill – alto saxophone

Robert Rhumbolz – trumpet

John Rapson – trombone

Paul Austerlitz – clarinet

Jeff Fuller - bass

Ray Kaczynski - drums

Recorded: October 1992 at the Knitting Factory, NYC

From The CD: New Tango ’92 (see www.allenlowe.com)

hi - 1) here's the bonus CD listing: (Bud recommendations to follow) -

Field Recordings Bonus CD

1) Slave Rebellion 4:14

Gary Bartz – alto saxophone

Lewis Porter – piano

Christopher Meeder – tuba

Jeff Fuller – bass

Recorded: Brooklyn, 9/21/13

2) What is this Thing called Love 6:46

Joe Albany –piano

Dickey Myers – alto saxophone

Recorded off of a radio broadcast at the

State University of New York at Binghamton, ca. 1979

3) Ornithology 8:05

Percy France – tenor saxophone

Jeff Fuller – bass rec. NYC ca. 1980

4) Blue Ballade 2:53

Allen Lowe – alto saxophone

Christopher Meeder: tuba

DJ logic: turntables

Recorded: 9/21/13

5) March of the Vipers

Julius Hemphill – alto saxophone

Robert Rhumbolz – trumpet

John Rapson – trombone

Paul Austerlitz – clarinet

Jeff Fuller - bass

Ray Kaczynski - drums

Recorded: October 1992 at the Knitting Factory, NYC

From The CD: New Tango ’92 (see www.allenlowe.com)

Thanks very much for doing this, Allen. I'll try and be more careful next time....... :wub: