Happy Birthday Jimmy Cobb

Michael Weiss

Still hitting' with that ferocious intensity. Tonight Cobb kept the pots on on at least three fast tempos in the one set - Del Sasser, Lazybird, and something else.

Are Cobb, Roy Haynes and (semi-retired) Al Harewood the oldest active jazz drummers of all time?

At 87, Dizzy Gillespie's drummer Joe Harris is still in Pittsburgh. He came up and played a short solo during a Roy Haynes concert I attended in late 2012. Talk about a night of living history.

Happy Birthday, Jimmy Cobb! I've never had the opportunity to see him perform, but I hope that I get the chance. I'll have to spin some Wynton Kelly Trio later.

Edited by Justin V

Happy Birhday, Jimmy Cobb !!!

Saw him with Nat Adderley, Vincent Herring, Rob Bargad and Walter Booker.

I was young and rather shy (at that time) to ask for an autograph...and now I regret it.

I just picked up We Remember Cannon last week, a live date with almost the same band (Art Resnick is the pianist). That had to have been a great show.

Still hitting' with that ferocious intensity. Tonight Cobb kept the pots on on at least three fast tempos in the one set - Del Sasser, Lazybird, and something else.

Are Cobb, Roy Haynes and (semi-retired) Al Harewood the oldest active jazz drummers of all time?

Another cat who's in his 90s that's still playing is Billy Taylor's drummer, Percy Bryce.

I was just talking with a trumpet player friend of mine who was doing gigs with Percy and Earl May up until Earl's death a few years ago, and he just spoke to Percy, and he said Percy is still doing jazz gigs today.