Happy Birthday, Roy Haynes!

Justin V

Every time Roy Haynes's birthday rolls around, I find myself having to check multiple sources to verify that he was born in 1925. I've been lucky enough to see him 4 times, the most recent being after he turned 88 last year (and was still tap-dancing after the concert). The Fountain of Youth Band has to be the most appropriate band name. Here's wishing a happy birthday to one of the greats, who sets an example with his talent, boundless enthusiasm and hipness.

roy-haynes-5.jpg

Edited by Justin V

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I caught both sets of Roy Haynes playing alongside his working band and Pat Metheny on Thursday at the Blue Note in New York.  As always, it was an honor and a joy to watch Roy Haynes (sitting right near his drums and Metheny, no less) with his incredible group of Jaleel Shaw, Martin Bejerano and David Wong, and it was a special thing to see him perform with Metheny, who was obviously enjoying himself.  Metheny called Haynes the baddest cat on the planet, and I wholeheartedly agree.  I saw Haynes during his 90th birthday tour as well (and on several other occasions), and I am looking forward to seeing him again.  Happy Birthday, Roy Haynes!!!