THUMBSCREW: Halvorson, Formanek, Fujiwara- Baltimore March 20, 2014

Leeway

Who was it that once said that jazz guitar is an oxymoron? Don't recall, but I'm pretty sure that's not true. Anyway, I went out to Baltimore Thursday night to catch Thumscrew, a trio with Mary Halvorson on guitar, Michael Formanek on bass, and Tomas Fujiwara on drums, and to take a look and listen to what jazz guitar sounds like 21st century edition. I missed them the last time they were in town, about a year ago, which I think was soon after the trio was founded.

To get right to the point, I'm a Halvorson believer (but not a "belieber"). Halvorson once told a audience during an interview segment that three of her influences were Johnny Smith, Jimi Hendrix, and Lenny Breau (IIRC). Somehow she manages to combine and distill these influences, while adding a healthy measure of Braxton (with whom she studied at Wesleyan), as well as her own native ability to compose interesting and engaging pieces that are both in , and out of, the tradition. This was all on display Thursday.

The best thing about the group though was that they play so well together. It really is a very balanced trio. Formanek adds depth, while Fujiwara provides crisp, clean and precise drumming. It's always rewarding when you can hear a trio playing close attention to each others and playing off each other's strengths. It was a generous set and yet the time passed easily.

To go back to the original question. I suppose the answer is, it is,,,and it isn't.

Lucky you! I'd love to hear this band live. Count me as a Halvorsen believer too. She's played London a few times now and in each context she's brought a keen improvisor's ear to the proceedings. I'm generally no great fan of guitarists but I do love how she channels her influences into a unique (not so) new voice on the instrument. Her ensemble recordings also display a talent for writing.

Please send Thumbscrew and the Quintet over the pond to us sometime.

Thanks mjazzg. I told Halvorson that that big hollow body guitar she plays is becoming almost-iconic.She gets a great sound out of it. She told me that it is too big to bring overseas, so she uses a travel guitar. So if Thumbscrew did get over there, it might look a little different. BTW, the show was actually a CD release party; they just put out a CD on Cuneiform.

Thanks mjazzg. I told Halvorson that that big hollow body guitar she plays is becoming almost-iconic.She gets a great sound out of it. She told me that it is too big to bring overseas, so she uses a travel guitar. So if Thumbscrew did get over there, it might look a little different. BTW, the show was actually a CD release party; they just put out a CD on Cuneiform.

Interesting to hear that about the guitar. Not least because if someone pushed me I'd swear she was playing it when I saw her with Evan P. Funny how it's become such a part of her visual image too.

CD's on the 'to buy very soon' list

• 2 years later...