Lunar eclipse

Apparently there will be a lunar eclipse which should be visible from much of North America tonight. And there may be as many as 4 visible this year. It occurs quite late in the Eastern and Central time zones, but it will start around 11 pm and run until 1 am tonight for those in Pacific Time, so not so bad. The main question is whether the skies will be clear (they were unusually clear last night). I probably won't get the kids up unless it is just super-impressive. Sadly it appears it may be overcast.

Here are the details for the Pacific Northwest: http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/canada/vancouver

So frustrating. Crystal clear skies last night, and cloudy tonight. I can't even tell where the moon is supposed to be!

I guess this is the case over much of the U.S. and Canada. Well, next time perhaps...

Of all the nights to be overcast... I was hoping the wind would blow away the clouds.

Thanks to getting hipped by this thread last night, I stayed up until 1:30 this morning to view it. Clear skies, warm night, good times. Inexperienced stargazer that I am, I thought I was seeing a very bright Saturn above and to the west. Turns out it was Mars. Oh well, at least I knew it was a planet. ^_^

eclipse-mars-spica-Classical-Astronomy.j

I'm glad a few people got to see it. I tuned into a live-feed from somewhere else (AZ?) but it wasn't that exciting not seeing it in my backyard. In six months or so, it happens again. I'll be in Toronto where the skies are more likely to be clear, but it is going to be a lot later local-time...