Marc Ribot: Live at the Village Vanguard

mjzee

the difference, I think, is generational; Monk and those guys were really not as influenced by as many sounds as players like Ribot are; not saying they didn't hear a lot of things, but the nature of media expoosure was very different in those days, especially when it came to pop; and for a player of Marc's generation it's not only a matter of hearing but liking; Monk's generation, based on the players I knew, thought of r&b and the blues as something they'd gotten way beyond, technically; and as little but a diversion, while players of Ribot (and my) generation see expressive mastery in much different places.

Edited by AllenLowe

the difference, I think, is generational; Monk and those guys were really not as influenced by as many sounds as players like Ribot are; not saying they didn't hear a lot of things, but the nature of media expoosure was very different in those days, especially when it came to pop; and for a player of Marc's generation it's not only a matter of hearing but liking; Monk's generation, based on the players I knew, thought of r&b and the blues as something they'd gotten way beyond, technically; and as little but a diversion, while players of Ribot (and my) generation see expressive mastery in much different places.

I agree with this, Allen.

I also realize than maybe even more musicians today find it impossible to make a living playing the more challenging end or side of improvised music than ever before. So if available the temptation to write jingles might be irresistible. My experience in following musicians with a wide range of source material or influence and a healthy interest in multiple current forms of music is that if they are dedicated to their art and there is a there there, their music becomes even more stronger their own. Evan Parker and Tony Malaby are examples of two musicians very close to my heart who personify this.