ea779505af.jpg

This picture is said having been taken during a gig at Ronnie Scott`s in 1970

This was 1965. Same year as http://youtu.be/UfXxDtDuW9g

Rouse split after the 1969 Europe tour.

So is the picture from following gig ?

November 3, 1969

BBC-TV “Jazz Scene At Ronnie Scott’s” programme, Ronnie Scott’s Club, London

Thelonious Monk Quartet

Personnel: Charlie Rouse (ts), Thelonious Monk (p), Nate “Lloyd” Hygelynd (b), Austin “Paris” Wright (d).

My Ideal

Reflections

Bright Mississippi

Oska T

‘Round Midnight

I Love You, I Love You, I Love You (Sweetheart of All My Dreams) (p-solo)

Epistrophy (theme)

Edited by soulpope

CD-R alert. I ordered the 24bit remasters a while ago through amazon.de. One of the discs was a CD-R. The other two volumes were still shrink-wrapped when I returned all three volumes for a refund.

51_nw_Dte_Vf_L.jpg51_FUj9t83_WL.jpg

as there seems to float different versions of these rereleases, could you describe how the cd(=cd-r) looks like btw which indicators made you detecting the cd-r status ?

It was a real cheap looking disc with lots of green hues. Unmistakable. The artwork and slipcase were like I had seen the album look for the past decade in record stores.

Edited by erwbol

ea779505af.jpg

This picture is said having been taken during a gig at Ronnie Scott`s in 1970

This was 1965. Same year as http://youtu.be/UfXxDtDuW9g

Rouse split after the 1969 Europe tour.

So is the picture from following gig ?

November 3, 1969

BBC-TV “Jazz Scene At Ronnie Scott’s” programme, Ronnie Scott’s Club, London

Thelonious Monk Quartet

Personnel: Charlie Rouse (ts), Thelonious Monk (p), Nate “Lloyd” Hygelynd (b), Austin “Paris” Wright (d).

My Ideal

Reflections

Bright Mississippi

Oska T

‘Round Midnight

I Love You, I Love You, I Love You (Sweetheart of All My Dreams) (p-solo)

Epistrophy (theme)

No, it's from the 1965 tour (with Gales and Riley), as is the video.

Why would you be so sure? Rouse wears a different suite I'd say (which obviously if it's different nights needn't mean much).

didn`t want to raise a (unnecessary) hatchet - but you`re right about Rouse`s suite and the skin of the bassplayer, as far as detachable, looks "white" btw doesn`t look like Larry Gales to me....

Edited by soulpope

Hard to say anything about the bass player, could just be his hand is in the light there. The wristwatch is barely detectable, but it *could* be the one the bassist in the video is wearing, I'd say.

But caravan seems so sure as if he actually knew - that's why I'm asking!

I'm surprised you have 90 % of Monk's commercially released stuff and have never heard these. F

My listening is based on what I encounter. This is where I am today.

Surely you 'encountered' reports of these recordings, they aren't exactly obscure.

I have not, so I though it would be appropriate to inquire about them on a jazz-focused message board of which I am a member. I have a room full of LPs and CDs, and I can't know everything. Thanks for understanding.

Carry on encountering...

Why would you be so sure? Rouse wears a different suite I'd say (which obviously if it's different nights needn't mean much).

didn`t want to raise a (unnecessary) hatchet - but you`re right about Rouse`s suite and the skin of the bassplayer, as far as detachable, looks "white" btw doesn`t look like Larry Gales to me....

Monk looked quite different in 1969. More puffed up, excuse the expression. There's plenty footage from that tour on YouTube, in Paris with Hygelund and Wright (and Philly sitting in) and solo (and duo with Joe Turner) in Berlin. The Paris footage was also released on a cd, discussed in another thread here at length.

Moreover, Monk wears the same hat in the photo and the video. He never used the same hat on different tours in different years. Indeed, it is the same hat he had when I saw him in 1965. In all of the 1969 footage he wears a different hat (and different - more "modern" - suits as well).

Monk looked quite different in 1969. More puffed up, excuse the expression. There's plenty footage from that tour on YouTube, in Paris with Hygelund and Wright (and Philly sitting in) and solo (and duo with Joe Turner) in Berlin. The Paris footage was also released on a cd, discussed in another thread here at length.

Moreover, Monk wears the same hat in the photo and the video. He never used the same hat on different tours in different years. Indeed, it is the same hat he had when I saw him in 1965. In all of the 1969 footage he wears a different hat (and different - more "modern" - suits as well).

thnx for the indepth explanation - the fact you`ve been there is sufficient proof to me.

Caravan is correct. They were broadcast on BBC 2 back in 1994 ( or 95 I think) on a Friday night. The Beeb wheeled out Neneh Cherry to introduce the progamme and name-checked her stepdad Don and quoted Coltrane's remark about the elevator shaft after getting 'lost' playing with Monk.,( Mick Hucknall introduced a later program). I taped all the broadcasts as I recall. It was Ben Riley on drums and Larry Gales on bass. I think 'Hackensack' was the first tune, and I have a feeling 'Off Minor' was played as well. I seem to recall Rouse being a bit unsure about when to solo on one of the tunes. I'm pretty certain the music has been put out on CD.

Anyway, after the Giants of Jazz tour, Monk started to use Paul Jeffrey on tenor. And on a few occasions he used Pat Patrick.

He used Jeffrey already before the Giants tour (the first tour that is, there were two - in 1971 and 1972) - for instance in Japan in early October 1970, with Larry Ridlley and Lennie McBrowne

http://youtu.be/Qjeu6RtyAAI

Pat Patrick (on tenor!) played with Monk at the Village Vanguard for a week in 1970, after Rouse had given notice.

I remember reading in Downbeat at the time that Pat Patrick was playing baritone with Monk as Charlie Rouse's replacement.

In 1970, jazz pianist Thelonius Monk tapped Pat to fill in on tenor sax one night at the Village Vanguard. For Pat, who wound up playing with Monk for five months, it was one of the high points of his career. That first night, Terry Adams, one of the founders of the rock band NRBQ, with which Pat also played periodically in the 1980s, was in the audience.

"At one point Monk played something new, which completely threw everyone off," Adams recalled. "But Pat got it just like that. Didn't even have to turn the horn."

Also the discography from the book titled "Brilliant Corners" states

Village Vanguard January 8th -10th, 23rd-24th, 30th - 31st (*) March 5th-8th and 13th - 15th, May 26th-31st, 1970 Pat Patrick (tenor saxophone) Thelonious Monk (piano) Wilbur Ware (bass) and Leroy Williams (drums) btw (*) Ed Blackwell (drums)

Toronto Colonial Tavern February 6th - 14th, 1970 Pat Patrick (tenor saxophone) Thelonious Monk (piano) Wilbur Ware (bass) and Beaver Harris (drums)

Boston Jazz Wokshop February 24th - 28th, 1970 Pat Patrick (tenor saxophone) Thelonious Monk (piano) Wilbur Ware (bass) and Beaver Harris (drums)

http://www.monkbook.com/sessionography/sessionography-1970-1975/

Edited by soulpope

Anyway, after the Giants of Jazz tour, Monk started to use Paul Jeffrey on tenor. And on a few occasions he used Pat Patrick.

He used Jeffrey already before the Giants tour (the first tour that is, there were two - in 1971 and 1972) - for instance in Japan in early October 1970, with Larry Ridlley and Lennie McBrowne

Pat Patrick (on tenor!) played with Monk at the Village Vanguard for a week in 1970, after Rouse had given notice.

Correct link:

Correct link:

Arrgh - don't know what's wrong. If you search for "Monk Jeffrey" in YouTube, you'll get there right away.

That's great to know, soulpope! I'm very confident that Downbeat mentioned the baritone, so maybe what it said was something like..."Baritone saxophonist Pat Patrick" rather than "Pat Patrick played the baritone."

glad this info was still of interest/helpfull.....actually it was your remark which made me diggin` these infos which were partially either new to or forgotten by myself......

so most likely it was always Pat Patrick on tenor within the timespan January to End of May 1970 (ommitting one gig at the Frog & Nightgown in Raleigh N.C in March 1970, where Paul Jeffrey played tenor instead of Pat Patrick ......the following gig at the Village Vanguard it was Pat Patrick on tenor back again) .....

Edited by soulpope

Arrgh - don't know what's wrong. If you search for "Monk Jeffrey" in YouTube, you'll get there right away.