Vancouver Jazz Fest - 2014

ejp626

I haven't seen a post on the upcoming Vancouver Jazz Fest. Full details here: http://www.coastaljazz.ca/

There are some big names coming through, like MMW & Scofield, Charles Lloyd and Cassandra Wilson. Generally, the prices are a bit too high or the times don't work for me. (I also have to finish packing up my house by the end of June, so late evenings are a challenge!) There's a small chance that I will see Cassandra Wilson on June 29. But this does look like a particularly good year for the festival, so I encourage anyone in the Pacific Northwest to come out.

I will make a major efforts to see is Rudresh Mahanthappa on June 22.

Note that And Alexander Hawkins is all over this festival with 3 or 4 performances and workhops. Awesome! I am aiming to see him on Canada Day at Granville Island.

I haven't seen a post on the upcoming Vancouver Jazz Fest. Full details here: http://www.coastaljazz.ca/

There are some big names coming through, like MMW & Scofield, Charles Lloyd and Cassandra Wilson. Generally, the prices are a bit too high or the times don't work for me. (I also have to finish packing up my house by the end of June, so late evenings are a challenge!) There's a small chance that I will see Cassandra Wilson on June 29. But this does look like a particularly good year for the festival, so I encourage anyone in the Pacific Northwest to come out.

Note that And Alexander Hawkins is all over this festival with 3 or 4 performances and workhops. Awesome! I am aiming to see him on Canada Day at Granville Island.

This one would particularly interest me:

http://www.coastaljazz.ca/performance/cory_weeds_quartet

Now listening to this:

43xcoryweedsjustlikethat-cd.jpg

This might be the first year since I started going in 1993 that I likely won't attend any shows.

Norma Winstone is tempting but it's the same group I saw her with a few years ago here in Vancouver and the price is steep.

Jim Black is tempting too but I saw him with his "axisnoaxis" band here before as well and IMHO that's a better group.

I'm hoping to see Rudresh Mahanthappa as well. A lot of the more interesting stuff is past my bedtime. Nice to see that Alexander Hawkins will be in town.

This might be the first year since I started going in 1993 that I likely won't attend any shows.

Norma Winstone is tempting but it's the same group I saw her with a few years ago here in Vancouver and the price is steep.

Jim Black is tempting too but I saw him with his "axisnoaxis" band here before as well and IMHO that's a better group.

The best time for these Western Canada festivals (Van, Edmonton, Calgary) was probably back in the 1990s when you could see groups like Jane Bunnett's for around $10-15, which made it no problem to splash out for 5-6 of these gigs. Heck, even Diana Krall was about $6-7 back then ! Jackie McLean I remember paying about $15-18 for and it was by no means over-subscribed. Much pricier now - but there again so are the festivals over here (London, Cheltenham etc) and I guess we are all now living in a much more expensive World.

Having said that, the lineup for this Vancouver festival is quite impressive. A good mix to keep both the musos and the more casual listeners on both ends of the spectrum happy.

Edited by sidewinder