Anybody has the new Mobile Fidelity Bitches' Brew lp set?

bogdan101

I still do not get this album, but I've never heard a MoFi release that wasn't incredibly well done.

I was going to post something pretentious about hearing the frontline (trumpet/soprano/bass clarinet) as neotrad and the rest as colour/texture, but maybe just getting a few bottles of the 40th ann. Bitches Brew brew would help more...

I still do not get this album, but I've never heard a MoFi release that wasn't incredibly well done.

I was going to post something pretentious about hearing the frontline (trumpet/soprano/bass clarinet) as neotrad and the rest as colour/texture, but maybe just getting a few bottles of the 40th ann. Bitches Brew brew would help more...

Like Stanley Crouch in the interviews for Electric Miles (Isle of Wight concert DVD). Over the years, he listened to it stoned, he listened to it sober, but Miles Davis wast just trying to make some money. Yeah right. Crouch has shit in his ears, no doubt.

Yes, I have several original pressings, one of which I haven't battered too much over the years, and it does sound wonderful. The 40th anniversary sounds very close to that to me on my system, and is a great pressing. I wouldn't hesitate to try the Mobile Fidelity though if I did not have several wonderful lp sets to listen to already.

I'm a bit fanatical about this recording because it was an eye- and ear-opening one for me at the beginning of the 'seventies and has remained an important part of my listening world. I have a handful of cd versions, and both the Sony SACD releases (they seem pretty identical, one is a hybrid, one is not). They are the remix, as is the Blu-Spec 2 cd version I've recently picked up that sounds phenomenal. I have one Sony cd set that is the original mix, as is the copy in the Complete Album Collection. The one I listen to the least is the Complete Bitches Brew Sessions box set. And I have the first US cd version which actually sounds listenable if you reverse the polarity, believe it or not.

I'm sure the Mobile Fidelity SACD will sound very good, and I want the original mix on SACD. Their previous Miles Davis SACDs have sounded excellent.

I love this music!

I had always assumed the Complete Columbia Album set contained the remix! A strange situation. That box it seems contains a lot of remixes for pre-electric period albums, but then remix In A Silent Way, the orginal Bitches Brew mix , the Agartha vinyl mix, but the later Pangaea complete concert mix.

So, either I have shit in my ears like Stanley Crotch, or I should start listening to the Complete Columbia Album Collection CDs over the 40th Anniversary set more often. ;)

I have the original CD box set from Columbia; so this version is inferior to the 40th anniversary set?

I must admit I greatly prefer "Jack Johnson" and "in a silent way".

The metal spine set was my introduction to Bitches Brew. I think the post Bitches Brew studio material included wasn't all that interesting, but I no longer own that set, so I can't offer a revised opinion.

The 40th Anniversary set has superior content, I believe.

My metal spine box also had glue on disc 4 (did not prevent playback). That greatly annoyed me, so I got the 1999 2CD as well. The hybrid SACD will be my fifth Brew, then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So - bumping this one up because I am curious if anyone has this or has any impressions (could not find Sidewinder's posts after this). Listening to the Mosaic set now and then I was going to throw on some 40th Anniversary goodness. Do I need this? I mean, come on, this is about my 15th version of this record. Hoping that I am fine between the Mosaic and 40th Ann (I do like the vinyl in that set by Wilder/Calbi) and I don't need to drive over the Music Direct soon....

Jay, I don't have the Mobile Fidelity LPs but the 40th Anniversary sounds very much like the original LPs and that's wonderful. I don't really think that you need the Mobile Fidelity.

I did get the SACD because I wanted the original mix on SACD and the sound is wonderful.

Thanks, as always, Lon. I agree about the 40th in comparison to the original (that I let go awhile back due to condition). But, the MoFis have been pretty spectacular. Agree about the SACD and you and I have the same player so I know where you are coming from.