Cecil Payne on baritone and alto together?

medjuck

I've been listening to the Clifford Jordan Mosaic set (to my surprise I really like the Pharoah Sanders). According to the notes, on the Cecil Payne cut "Slide Hampton" Payne "adroitly shifts to the alto" at the end of his baritone solo. He's so adroit that the last notes of the baritone solo over-lap with the beginning of the brief alto solo! Did he pull a Roland Kirk? Were they double tracking? Or am I just mis-hearing?

Maybe they were double tracking: on another piece Wynton Kelly plays organ and piano at the same time but I think it's one hand on each instrument.

Edited by medjuck

Definitely sounds like the alto begins over the bari still playing. Also stops playing right after the beginning of a chorus where KD suddenly pops in. Sounds like there was a flubbed hand-off between choruses, so they filled it in with an alto overdub.

And call me crazy, but the alto "voice" sorta sounds like Clifford, although it could be Cecil...can't say that I know Cecil Payne on alto.

Perhaps a post-production choice by the producer?

The first more than the second, relative to the much later date, but yeah, especially allowing for a less refined tone after the passage of a lot of years.

Does sound like over-dubbing though, the bari sounds suddenly pulled down in order to accomodate the alto. Weird way to do an insert, especially starting on the second chorus and then dropping out like that. Something went wrong somewhere on the raw take, it sounds like.

The first more than the second, relative to the much later date, but yeah, especially allowing for a less refined tone after the passage of a lot of years.

Does sound like over-dubbing though, the bari sounds suddenly pulled down in order to accomodate the alto. Weird way to do an insert, especially starting on the second chorus and then dropping out like that. Something went wrong somewhere on the raw take, it sounds like.

Also, I believe that Payne concentrated on alto before bari but probably hadn't picked up the alto for a good long while by 1972.