Pianist Ray Santisi - RIP

Kevin Bresnahan

Eric Jackson on Facebook:

Sad news from Berklee. RIP Ray Santisis!

Dear Colleagues,

It is with much sadness that I write to tell you that long-time Berklee faculty member in the Piano Department, Ray Santisi, passed away last night.

Ray was an alum of Berklee College and Boston Conservatory of Music and taught at Berklee for 47 years (since 1957). He played with Charlie Parker, Stan Getz, Buddy DeFranco, Gabor Szabo, Mel Torme, and Natalie Cole.

Ray was still playing the local clubs until his death. I just saw him a few months ago at the Sahara Jazz Club. He was one of the few Jazz musicians still making the rounds who played with Charlie Parker. Another piece of history has gone.

I'm familiar with his playing through his work on two classics, Serge Chaloff's Boston Blow Up and Donald Byrd's Byrd Blows on Beacon Hill. I corresponded with him to find out whatever happened to Jimmy Zitano, who was the drummer on both dates, and Mr. Santisi came across as a nice man. Although he may not have been a household name as a performing musician, he had a profound impact on jazz through his role as a teacher (like his late colleague, Alan Dawson), having taught the likes of Joe Zawinul, Keith Jarrett, Gary Burton, John Hicks, Danilo Perez, Alan Broadbent, Makoto Ozone and many others during his time at Berklee. I even picked up his instructional book. Rest in peace, Mr. Santisi, and thank you for the music and the contributions you made through education.

Edited by Justin V

He was on some great records!

Serge-Chaloff-Boston-Blow-Up-443136.jpg

51r8XkGYadL._SY300_.jpg

Excellent choices to commemorate him. ;)

RIP.

Was intrigued back in the day by his playing on both albums, especially the upper-register work on at least one track of "Boston Blow Up." Could have been merely cute; instead it was mysterious, semi-ominous. Actually, now that I think of it, it was rather Twardzik-like. Both he and Santisi were part of the same Boston scene. The Pomeroy band rhythm section (Sanrisi, Neves, Zitano) was excellent, had its own flavor.