FS: Anthony Braxton Quartet Santa Cruz 1993 hat ART

erwbol

I have two copies of only 2000 ever produced and one is up for sale.

€49 €40 Anthony Braxton - Quartet (Santa Cruz) 1993 (hat ART CD 2-6190), double CD released 1997.

There is a vertical fold in the back artwork along the yellow strip. A previous owner had the artwork stored outside of the jewel case.

Booklet in excellent condition.

The 2 CDs have some dirt, fingerprints and thin hairline markings on them visible under lamplight. Both discs play perfectly. The discs were in this condition when I bought them from the previous owner, and I am not someone who cleans discs as long as they play fine.

Discs not in original jewel case, replacement jewel case not graded.

------

Free worldwide shipping*. I will ship your order in one of those secure CD Japan boxes that fit through a letter box.

Outside the Netherlands PayPal or bank transfer.

Binnen Nederland graag een bankoverschrijving.

* With PayPal please choose the option 'send money to friend or family' instead of 'pay for goods or services.'

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by erwbol

One of those legendary recordings that completely lives up to it's reputation.

Disc 2 is just about as intense as it gets on a recording. I guess I would have passed out if I had been there live - well 1993 was before I ever heard of Anthony Braxton - and if someone - even a few years after that - ever mentioned that this band may be referred to as his "classic quartet" , I might have thought that someone was quite insane.

Recordings like this are worth the money, plus as many of us know, reissue is doubtful

Edited by Steve Reynolds

I bought both my copies on the second hand market after the album had become rare and gained its (just) reputation, so I have to find a way to share the financial pain fairly between myself and the next owner of the copy here on sale. I won't be making a profit.

I can offer free worldwide shipping if at PayPal you choose the option 'send money to friend or family' instead of 'pay for goods or services,' or you pay by bank transfer when you live in the Netherlands.

I will ship your order in one of those secure CD Japan boxes that fit through a letter box.

Edited by erwbol

Jim - I will be very interested in your impressions of Hemingway's playing on this recording.

Also very curious if you've heard much of Hemingway's Quintet recordings from ~ 1988 through 1996 - the band with Michael Moore, Ernst Reijseger, Wolter Wierbos and Mark Dresser. Knowing that Gerry was part of the great Braxton Quartet might be informative in the development of his own, more traditional, band - with his own compositions.

Very familiar with Hemmingway/Braxton, somewhat familiar with his own recordings of the time you mention.

I prefer him with Braxton, just because...I prefer Braxton. Not a knock at all on Hemmingway, always enjoy him. Just that Braxton, that's a whole 'nother plane, period. Not just of music, but of life-view.

As always I recommend The Marmalade King for probably the most explosive drumming of his on record within his wonderous suite.

Play straight through to the stunning last track when it all comes together.

Also the finest playing on record by Moore and Reijseger I've heard

Well worth the $40 it takes to buy it

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, everything is true. This is a great band doing great work at the upper end of their great, perhaps the uppermost end of their great, which is to say as great as anything by anybody that has been or will be great.

Nobody's really mentioned Dresser yet, but me, I'm a bass guy, and when I get to really analyzing this stuff, I'm gonna focus on Dresser first. But really, this is band music, and ceez, this is a band that started on fire and only got hotter.

Thanks to Ervin for handling the business on his end. This one is special among special. I truly feel lucky to have gotten the opportunity to get this.

Yes, everything is true. This is a great band doing great work at the upper end of their great, perhaps the uppermost end of their great, which is to say as great as anything by anybody that has been or will be great.

Nobody's really mentioned Dresser yet, but me, I'm a bass guy, and when I get to really analyzing this stuff, I'm gonna focus on Dresser first. But really, this is band music, and ceez, this is a band that started on fire and only got hotter.

Thanks to Ervin for handling the business on his end. This one is special among special. I truly feel lucky to have gotten the opportunity to get this.

Indeed

• 3 months later...

Recordings like this are worth the money, plus as many of us know, reissue is doubtful

Hat often re-releases items from its catalog and Santa Cruz is on it's upcoming releases page. See http://www.hathut.com/upcoming. So for fans without, there's hope & for those who already own a copy (me) the market value of your item is about to drop.

Well, it's listed as forthcoming "Late February-- Delayed" on Dusty Groove. Their Hat pre-listings are always correct-- I'm guessing they have direct contact with Uehlinger. So I think it is safe to say that it's in the next batch.

It's "pre-listed" at Squidco too.

I'm still skeptical & hopefully wrong.