Edgewood Saxophone Trio in a Best of 2014 list

jeffcrom

edgewoodsaxophonetrio.jpg

For a variety of reasons, I decided a while back to stop posting anything here about my own work. But I'm going to break my "rule," since I was surprised to see today that Atlanta music writer Doug DeLoach put the Edgewood Saxophone Trio's Snake Nation in his best of 2014 list.

I'm realistic enough to realize that friendship/loyalty might have played a part in this, but I'll take it.

• 9 months later...

Not quite sure where to post this - I guess here is as good a place as any. Again, I don't post much about my musical activities here, but:

The Edgewood Saxophone Trio played tonight at Trinity House, a transitional residential shelter for homeless men with addiction problems. It's in Atlanta's Sweet Auburn neighborhood - just a few blocks from the old Royal Peacock club and from Martin Luther King's birthplace. (And unfortunately, right across the street from a crack house.) The director, Bruce, has started to have music in the beautiful chapel there. His goal is to bring in audiences to interact with the residents, but tonight only a couple of "outsiders" ventured to the somewhat daunting venue.

No matter - we all agreed that this was the best audience we had ever played for. Most of our audiences seem to think that we're playing "interesting," kind of weird saxophone music. These guys instantly heard and felt the blues content that's part of almost everything I write, no matter how abstract the music is. They hollered and stood up and encouraged us. We do a piece called "Hymn," and the guy sitting nearest to me started crying as we played it. Afterwards, every single member of the audience came up and gave each one of us a hug.

My wife could tell that I was really high when I got home. She said, "I'm not a musician, but it must be nice to play a gig that really means something like that." Yep.

Great thread. Thanks Jeff. In your original post you said you'd stop posting about your own work. But I find it as valuable to know about the projects that the members here are involved with as much as, if not more so, the comments on live concerts and what they recommend listening to. Awkward sentence but hope the sentiment comes through. Thanks again.