Tristano and Coltrane?

ghost of miles

Miles' comment = reductio ad absudum of the notion of spontaneous collective improvisation. It was a good sound bite. And like all good sound bites, true as far as it went, and also like all good sound bites, not particularly far is how far it went.

Re Miles' quintet's free improvisation: At the Plugged Nickel the quintet played a tune, Miles soloed then stepped outside for a smoke, came back and asked Herbie Hancock's brother "What song are we playing?" (from Hancock's autobiog.)

I'm rereading Bill Coss' Dec. 6, 1962 DownBeat article "Lennie Tristano Speaks Out" and noticed this Tristano quote: "(Critics) should listen in person in many different circumstances. John Coltrane, for example, sounded different with two basses and Elvin Jones than he did with me." Are there any known instances of Coltrane and Tristano performing together? I checked Eunmi Shim's Tristano biography and couldn't find a reference to any such encounter. Or am I misreading Tristano's quote?

I heard long ago from a Tristano insider that this was a misquote and they had not played together. People like Connie Crothers and Carol Tristano would know the truth about this quote.

Q

I wondered if that might be the case. I would've thought that Tristano was talking about Konitz, not Coltrane, if he hadn't said "two basses."