2015 MLB Season - Let's Play Two!

JSngry

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who's a sore loser? First of all, we haven't lost anything. Secondly, even if we do lose the Series I'll still be perfectly happy with how this season has gone. Pretty sure I already mentioned that several pages ago. 

Lastly, Moustakas is not a shit talker, by any measurement of the term. But he got upset last night when Syndergaard's pitch went head high. Most major league players would be. Both the Mets and the Royals have played clean and respectable baseball in this Series. Much like the Royals and Giants did last year. There hasn't been any yapping or potential bad blood until that pitch. And it looks as though it ended just as quickly as it began. 

So yes, the comment contesta made was completely ignorant. The Royals do not initiate trouble with other teams. 

Although, thanks for tipping your hand with that little bitch comment of yours. At least I now know the type of fan I'm dealing with. 

Catesta is a fan just like you.  Now, I wouldn't have made the comment he made but that's me.  No one came on complaining when you said something like that's Royals baseball after they won game 1. You're allowed to gloat just like we are. 

As far as Noah's pitch, I'm glad he pitched inside and told them to meet him 60 feet 6 inches if they didn't like it.  You have to pitch inside or batters get too comfortable. Dave Eiland said  basically the same thing about Murphy and no one took umbrage. Ultimately, I'm not sure it did much good as the Royals scored  runs off of him.  However, it set a tone and showed that the Mets are not going to let the Royals think they're on the way to a coronation. 

I'm a Mets fan just as you're a Royals fan and that's nothing I'm ashamed of, no matter how well or poor they do.  I admire their style of baseball as they play the game well but our pitchers aren't going to let you own both sides of the plate without a fight.  The Royals had their chance to retaliate and stil do. 

Also, let's not forget this is supposed to be fun so there's no need to take it personal. 

Good god, gloating?! 

I said it was Royals baseball because that's the style of game they play. It isn't pretty, it isn't flashy, it's just grind it out until someone squeezes out the win. Sometimes it's the Royals, sometimes it isn't. 

Games two and three WEREN'T Royals baseball because they were too lopsided, and sloppily played by both teams at times. 

I have NEVER gloated about my team winning. Ever. And I never will. Go back to page 22 after we took the deciding game against Houston.

It was a fantastic series against the Astros, and I would have been just fine had they won last night because my boys fought hard. That's all a fan can reasonably ask. 

Does that sound even remotely like gloating to you? 

*EDIT*

BTW, just went back to double check the context. Jim referred to game 1 as "stubbornness baseball", then I said that around here we call that "Royals baseball". 

Edited by Scott Dolan

On 10/30/2015, 9:29:43, Brad said:

This is a question for Jim as moderator but a couple of days ago I was going to quote Scott in one of my responses (to be posted from my PC) and then had to do something else (like work!).  When I went back, I couldn't get rid of the quote box so I've had to post responses from my phone.  Anyway someone can help?

If you mouse over the "stuck" quote box, you should see both the quote and the quote box itself outlined in blue, and a popup that says "Hold ctrl and right click for more options". Doing so will reveal a context menu with the options "Remove Quote" and "Remove Quote and Keep Contents". Select the one you prefer, and the quote will disappear. 

I just happened to stumble upon this (not very obvious) solution after having the same problem on several occasions when attempting to reply to a message. 

6 minutes ago, Dave Garrett said:

If you mouse over the "stuck" quote box, you should see both the quote and the quote box itself outlined in blue, and a popup that says "Hold ctrl and right click for more options". Doing so will reveal a context menu with the options "Remove Quote" and "Remove Quote and Keep Contents". Select the one you prefer, and the quote will disappear. 

I just happened to stumble upon this (not very obvious) solution after having the same problem on several occasions when attempting to reply to a message. 

Not sure if that is a new feature with today's update or not, but if it works, go for it. And thanks for pointing that out, Dave!

We were out this evening, so I didn't get to the game - on ESPN radio - until the top of the 8th and Clippert was walking his second batter. Did not get home to the TV until the bottom of the 9th due to stopping at Arby's for some poppers. Not sure if the radio made it more intense than it really was, but it sure didn't hurt any!

Everybody's talking tonight about why did Familia not start the 8th, and Terry Collins' logic of, well, we weren't going to bring him in unless the tying run was on falls flat with me (i.e. - why are you going to bring the guy in anywhere in that inning with a crisis already underway? Let him have it be all his, good or bad.), but when the change was made, the first thing I thought about was Harold Reynolds last night (on TV) not really digging having Famila pitching in a 9-3 game, because, you know, baseball is a game of memory, why you gonna show your weapon any more than required? and although that's not how it played out in terms of specifics...yeah, why was he in there for a 9-3 game last night? To "build confidence" or some emo crap like that? What, "World Series" some kinda Post-Shea Spanish for "spring training"?

The possibility of this thing going seven still exists - Mets passionrally tomorrow, Cueto gives his inevitable-in-coming Bad Home Start in Game 6, bingo, there you go. And if I'm a Met, I'm playing to make all of that happen, because until it actually doesn't happen, it still possibly can.

And this IS baseball, the game that seems to have "hey, weird shit IS gonna happen" - in those exact words and in every language, known and unknown, human and otherwise, used in all universes discovered, forgotten and/or not yet either found or imagined - written (in invisible ink, of course) deep in some deep sub-section of its contract-of-creation with god.

But if i was a betting man, that's not gonna a bet I'm making.

Also, if I'm a Met looking for an actual reason to keep on hoping - Royals are starting to strike out more - 4x in game 1, 3 in G2, 7 in G3, and 9 tonight. If you can keep striking them out AND keep the inappropriate BB down AND not fuck up the defense (although, in fairness, alex rios, was it as bad in real time as it was on the post-game show? Really?), then your chances of beating these Royals (any team, really, but especially these Royals of especially right now) in three of the next three games go up by some crazy mathnumber.

Kinda think that was the game plan to begin with, though, but some game plans take longer to gel than others.you know, as long as you're not eliminated, you're still potentially winning it all.

Good luck!

Pretty weird update if we now have three of each of Jim's posts. Or is it gonna be four? I just got another '2 new replies' alert. WTF?

Anyway, I love the fact that Murphy is the goat, I love the fact that the Mets are on the precipice of defeat, but I hate the fact that my friends Brad and Chris are gonna be disappointed.  But if they want to be honest, they should realize that the opportunity to even be in the playoffs was a gift from the Nationals.  What team other than the 2011 Sox were so hyped and performed so badly over 162 games? Here's hoping for a true fight for the division between the Mets and the Nats next season. They both should be pretty tough.

catesta, please show me ONE example of me giving the other side "a hard time". It doesn't exist on this thread, because I am very gracious when it come to winning.

Remember, I have rooted for a team that was historically bad. So I know what it feels like to lose, and I sure as hell will never rub anyone's face in a loss. Not once. Ever. 

Nor did I ever gloat about beating the two biggest drama queens in MLB today, Bautista and Donaldson. 

Your comment about Moustakas was absolutely bush league. I'm starting to note that Mets fans may not be as classy as I initially thought. 

Dave and Jim, thanks for pointing that out. 

Give all all credit to the Royals for winning the game but when you can manage only six hits and your 2-3-4-5-6 hitters go for 2 for the game, what can you expect. I'm sure we've seen the last of Cespedes, what with him messing up another ball in the outfield, setting up a run, and then being doubled off in the 9th.  What is he thinking; he has nowhere to go with Murphy in front of him. Murphy reinforced why he won't be back: poor defense and a steaky hitter.  From hero to goat.  As an aside Murphy the goat put the hex on the Cubs in 1945 so he's gone from goat to goat.  Probably a little unfair to pin the label on him as Familia didn't do his job after the game was tied.

This was a poorly managed game starting with game 3. Why is Familia pitching in game 3 where you have a six run lead. Second, he only planned to use Matz for 5 but then allowed him to pitch into the 6th. At the very least, he should have been out after he gave up the first hit.  Third, he uses Colon for only one batter when he could have brought him back for the 7th.  I understand that you have a formula (Reed, Clippard, Familia) but Clippard hasn't been effective for a month so so you need to adjust your thinking, especially with only four games to go in the season, at the most.

As soon as Clippard walks the first guy, he should have been gone.  If you're going to bring Familia in for 5 outs, why not 6?

And this mindless doubles witching drives me crazy, taking out Conforto and Lagares ( the only guy hitting the ball consistently!)

When you have a lead, five outs to go and no one on base, you should win the game. 

I expect them to win today and return the series to KC but not much expectations after that. 

25 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

catesta, please show me ONE example of me giving the other side "a hard time". It doesn't exist on this thread, because I am very gracious when it come to winning.

Remember, I have rooted for a team that was historically bad. So I know what it feels like to lose, and I sure as hell will never rub anyone's face in a loss. Not once. Ever. 

Nor did I ever gloat about beating the two biggest drama queens in MLB today, Bautista and Donaldson. 

Your comment about Moustakas was absolutely bush league. I'm starting to note that Mets fans may not be as classy as I initially thought. 

Scott,

We, they, are probably as frustrated as I'm sure you were last year and both of us have been for the last 30 years.  

I was never frustrated last year. I was overjoyed! 

Three decades of losing baseball and the first time we squeak into the postseason we're playing the dynasty Giants team and holding our own? 

No, I understood last year heading in that we had proven nothing, and were the new kids on the block. And I certainly never predicted us to win any of the series we played in. 

Your problem, as I see it is that you came into this series under the assumption that the Mets were the better team (didn't you pick them to win in 6?). Whereas even though the Royals are making their second appearance in as many years, I never picked them to win it, and thought that it would go all 7 games. 

The only thing that frustrates me is dealing with homer fans, and when my team plays poorly. 

Familia pretty much did his job, I thought, two soft-ish grounders, one misplayed by Murphy, the other one of those "baseball is a game of inches" things that just happened. Neither were fails on his part, I thought. But then, Perez...but "then, Perez" was a recurring theme last night, wasn't it...it was only the One Man Physics Of Bartolo Colon that was able to do his job against Perez last night!

After that, though, he got anther soft grounder, and Murphy turned an ungainly but effective two. So other than Perez, Familia threw well, quite apart form what happened once the results were in play. I just don't get why you bring that guy in on top of somebody else's mess instead of letting his start clean. Because other than Perez, nobody was really hitting him, and he did not seem to be having control issues. No guaranteeing that a clean entry for him results in a clean inning, obviously, but...the odds that he faces Perez with runners on is significantly reduced, I should think.

7 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Hey feel free to rub my nose in it. It certainly looks like KC will win and if they do, I will congratulate KC fans. Truth be told, I actually rooted for them against the Giants so I have no problem with the Royals, except of course when playing NY. My comment about Royals not winning it in 4 was directed at a previous post by Hot Ptah in which I said I would eat a bag of candy born if that happened. As far as class goes I've not referred to anyone here as "ignorant" or what they say as a "bitch comment" so you should probably check yourself on that. For me, I don't see any problem with a little razzing/ribbing and shit talk. For you, I guess it's cool only when defending the USPS or while patting yourself on the back for something, just not with baseball players or teams. Got it.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Familia pretty much did his job, I thought, two soft-ish grounders, one misplayed by Murphy, the other one of those "baseball is a game of inches" things that just happened. Neither were fails on his part, I thought. But then, Perez...but "then, Perez" was a recurring theme last night, wasn't it...it was only the One Man Physics Of Bartolo Colon that was able to do his job against Perez last night!

After that, though, he got anther soft grounder, and Murphy turned an ungainly but effective two. So other than Perez, Familia threw well, quite apart form what happened once the results were in play. I just don't get why you bring that guy in on top of somebody else's mess instead of letting his start clean. Because other than Perez, nobody was really hitting him, and he did not seem to be having control issues. No guaranteeing that a clean entry for him results in a clean inning, obviously, but...the odds that he faces Perez with runners on is significantly reduced, I should think.

I don't think he did his job.  It's not his fault that Murphy didn't field the ball but then he has to hold them at 3-3.  More often than not, however, it seems that when something happens behinds a pitcher, it affects them.  For his own peace of mind going forward, whether it's this year or next, he needs to come in and show he can do it.