New Monk recording discovered.

So it's not new. The station is claiming it is a new discovery that was unearth from their vaults. The DJ is playing the entire set. Lon, what you pointed to sure looks like what is being played on the radio, but the set list isn't matching up to what is being played on the radio right now. I wonder if it is a different set?

Edited by Hardbopjazz

sheridan adds 2 unissued tunes on end of the 11-12-62 session:

Well You Needn’t unissued
San Francisco Holiday (Worry Later) unissued
to make it more confusing, the monk bio claims that monk wasn't at the village gate in november
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
August or early September, 1962
Private Recording, Village Gate, New York
Thelonious Monk Quartet
Personnel: Charlie Rouse (ts), Thelonious Monk (p), John Ore (b), Frankie Dunlop (d).
Rhythm-a-ning Xanadu 202
Body & Soul (p-solo) Xanadu 202
Evidence Xanadu 202
I’m Getting Sentimental Over You Xanadu 202
Jackie-Ing Xanadu 202
Notes: Don Schlitten, who released these tapes on his Xanadu label, originally dated them November 12, 1963. [Liner notes, Thelonious Monk Live at the Village Gate (Xanadu 202) and later on CD (Xanadu FDCD 5161).] This isn’t possible since Monk was at the Five Spot then with different personnel. Chris Sheridan then claimed the recording was made November 12, 1962 (Brilliant Corners, 118), but this, too, is impossible since Monk’s engagement at the Gate ended the first week of September. The weekend of November 11-12, the line-up at the Gate consisted of Larry Adler, Paul Draper and Nina Simone. [see ads, New York Times, November 9 and 12, 1962.]

but a new late 1962 village gate monk set is the most likely scenario here.

Edited by l p

sheridan adds 2 unissued tunes on end of the 11-12-62 session:

to make it more confusing, the monk bio claims that monk wasn't at the village gate in november
August or early September, 1962
Private Recording, Village Gate, New York
Thelonious Monk Quartet
Personnel: Charlie Rouse (ts), Thelonious Monk (p), John Ore (b), Frankie Dunlop (d).
Rhythm-a-ning Xanadu 202
Evidence Xanadu 202
I’m Getting Sentimental Over You Xanadu 202
Jackie-Ing Xanadu 202
Notes: Don Schlitten, who released these tapes on his Xanadu label, originally dated them November 12, 1963. [Liner notes, Thelonious Monk Live at the Village Gate (Xanadu 202) and later on CD (Xanadu FDCD 5161).] This isn’t possible since Monk was at the Five Spot then with different personnel. Chris Sheridan then claimed the recording was made November 12, 1962 (Brilliant Corners, 118), but this, too, is impossible since Monk’s engagement at the Gate ended the first week of September. The weekend of November 11-12, the line-up at the Gate consisted of Larry Adler, Paul Draper and Nina Simone. [see ads, New York Times, November 9 and 12, 1962.]

but a new late 1962 village gate monk set is the most likely scenario here.

The setlist you mentioned looks very much as to what was played.

the only other 1962 live monk date seems to be the 2 tunes as guest star with duke

July 8, 1962
Newport Jazz Festival, Freebody Park
Thelonious Monk with Duke Ellington’s Orchestra

the people at wkcr usually know what they're talking about when claiming that an item is brand new. but if no one recorded it, then it doesn't really matter unless it's issued in the future.

When I have a moment I will reach out to the WKCR and ask for the information on what was played.

The time was 18:00 yesterday when the program started. The number to the station is 212-854-9920. When I am done with work I will call the station.

The station had a musical guest, Phillip Johnston. The DJ an Phil were analyzing the music.

When I have a moment I will reach out to the WKCR and ask for the information on what was played.

The time was 18:00 yesterday when the program started. The number to the station is 212-854-9920. When I am done with work I will call the station.

The station had a musical guest, Phillip Johnston. The DJ an Phil were analyzing the music.

Tom, the DJ was the great Mitch Goldman, close friend & I believe former tour manager for Shannon Jackson, among myriad other credits. His "Deep Focus" programs are almost uniformly great, though I recall a Jarrett show and maybe sentimental-era Charlie Haden that did nothing to persuade me I shouldn't dislike/not listen to their respective musics.

Edited by MomsMobley

i was sent a 0:15 seconds clip of the end of 'i'm getting sentimental over you' from this wkcr broadcast, and it's exactly the same as the ending of this tune on the available xanadu cd.

so unless the cd is a compilation from more than one set, the music on the wkcr broadcast is not new.

but i wouldn't be surprised if they also broadcast the unissued tunes too:

if this is a big disappointment, you can get this new set that was released on dutch jazz archives last year.

Dutch Jazz Archive

"Thelonious Monk: Jackie-ing" "live in Amsterdam may 1961"

45-minute set

new

1-7: Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, May 20, 1961

1. Jackie-ing 8:05

2. Straight No Chaser 11:49

3. Crepuscule With Nellie 2:33

4. Well You Needn't 6:33

5. Rhythm-a-ning 9:10

6. Body And Soul 4:40

7. Just A Gigolo 2:07

(tracks 8-end are bussum, netherlands - not new)

mp3 download

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TT78UWA/ref=sr_1_2_rd?_encoding=UTF8&child=B00TT79H1I&qid=1425402176&sr=1-2</a>

thanks to the person who supplied the clip.

This was what I was emailed.

Hi Tom,

That was a recording from the WKCR archives although we do not know the provenance of it. As far as I know it has not been released. The date listed is "1962-11" (November, 1962, I presume).
I hope this answers your question and that you enjoyed the program.
All the best,

Mitch Goldman
Producer and On-Air Host of Deep Focus
WKCR-FM New York

the cd does have cuts between most of the tunes. and i think the xanadu guy (boris rose?) was known to record multiple sets from engagements, i.e. monk birdland 2/9/63, 2/16/63, 2/23/63, and release them in incomplete form on xanadu, alto, etc. labels.

Edited by l p