Travel

I like travel. And you?

I try to avoid spots that attract lots of travelers or tourists. And I always travel alone.

Would love to hear about the travel destinations, experiences and dreams of other board folk. If there seems to be any interest out there, I'll share a few of my own.

I love to travel, though budget and family commitments limit choices at this point.

I've travelled a lot in Canada - Montreal (every year for the jazz festival), Ottawa, Quebec City, Toronto, The Canadian Rockies. We took our young boys to a place in Alberta called Dinosaur Provincial Park last summer. One of the world's richest sources of Dinosaur bones. It's out in the badlands east of Calgary. What a fascinating place.

I also like to camp and canoe. When I was a boy, we'd travel up to Algonquin Provincial Park about 4 hours north of Toronto. 3,000 square miles of interconnected lakes - bears, loons, wolves, moose and some beautiful scenery. I've travelled as far North as James Bay and someday would like to go to Alaska or the Canadian North.

Before we had children, my wife and I travelled to France. Spent a week in Paris, a week in Cannes and about 2 weeks driving around France and surrounds. We stayed in Lyon, Geneva, Chamonix, and Florence.

Geneva and Lake Geneva and the parts of Switzerland we saw were beautiful. We did the usual tourist things like boat rides, art museums. We travelled to Montreaux and a little beyond. Stopped at Chateau de Chillon which is pictured on one of the Bill Evans albums. Driving through the valleys was interesting. There were ruins of castles everywhere.

In Chamonix we took the cable cars up the Aiguille du Midi (sp?) to 13,000 feet elevation. The air's a little thin up there to be sure. It's right in the shadows of Mont Blanc. Skiers, mountain climbers, hang gliders and tourists in cable cars made for quite an interesting scene. Standing on the platform above the clouds and seeing the peaks of various mountains as far as the eye could see was one of the more awe inspiring sights I've ever seen.

Coming through the tunnel du Mont Blanc on the way down to Florence was a bit of a disappointment. Looks like a very poor area. By the time we hit Tuscany though, Italy had turned into the beautiful country I had seen in pictures. In Florence, we hoped to see the great museums. The night we arrived, we walked to Il Duomo, found a great courtyard restaurant which to this day is the single best setting I've ever eaten at. Everything you could imagine. Brick courtyard, anciant fountain, small gardens, lights strung around for atmosphere. Picture perfect.

The next morning we awoke to the new that a mafia car bombing outside the Uffizzi killed 6 and did substantial damage to the building and several paintings. All the museums in the city were shut down. We spent the day touring various sites and had one of the more interesting lunches ever. Right on the Piazza della Signora - which is right in front of the Uffizzi - we found a great little restaurant where we ate pizza, drank wine and watched anti-mafia demonstrators, riot police and CNN reporters do their thing. It was pretty exciting to be on the scene of a major news event like that. My wife even got on Italian TV we found out later as she could be seen in the background of an interview on the news.

We left Florence a day early, and on the way to Cannes, stopped at Pisa. That tower was leaning as far as it ever had and was quite impressive.

Cannes was fabulous. We traveled quite a bit around Provence hitting Monaco, Nice, Antibes, Juan les Pins, Menton, Grasse, St Paul du Vence. The Fondation Maeght was very impressive for both the quality of the collection and the setting. The beaches were fabulous and it was quite a thrill swimming in the Mediterranean. And the light. I now know what Matisse and the fauves painters saw when they described the light in Provence.

Another thrill was the TGV from Cannes to Paris. Excellent ride.

Another great trip was a short trip to London a few years ago. What a gas.

Now that we've got children, we're doing more family oriented stuff. In the future, we'd like to do one of those jungle eco-tourist things. I've never wanted to go to Hawaii, but I'd love to go to some place like Tahiti or Bora Bora. New Zealand and Australia are two other hopeful future destinations.

• 2 years later...

In honor of its three-year anniversary, I thought I'd pop this thread back into the public view.

Travel remains the major part of my life. Yes, it's even displaced music. (It's not possible to take and enjoy music with my travel schedule/itinerary.) My primary interest in off-the-beaten-path destinations, but I'll go anywhere (...other than a half-dozen places that don't interest me; naming/debating them would only get me off on a negative tangent). But I'd rather hear about your experiences anyway.

Someone mentioned pictures. I suppose if anyone wants to post pics, that's cool. (I usually only have a dial-up connection, so pictures are a no-go 'round here.) As for me, I've no camera. Other than the one in my head...and the film's gone foggy in the x-ray machine.

• 1 year later...

It's been a couple more years. Any new travelin' board members? Any exciting travels by old members?

I'm still on-the-move every day. Starting to re-visit places I've been before, which is cool. But I do want to hit the few places I haven't been, before I get too damn old to do it. And, by God, I'd like to cross paths with Organissimo again sometime - though I seldom see the Midwest US. (Chicago in July?)

So, do tell. And, I suppose, post picture if you want. I don't own a camera; couldn't take one most places I travel anyway.

By the way, Vibes, I guess I missed you question when you posted it. Though maybe I PMed you back then.

My fam and a family friend are going to Ireland for St Patrick's day and staying for the week. It will be my daughter's first vacation abroad and I'm really excited to watch her experience a country other than the US. Next year, we are planning on going to Munich for Octoberfest.

My fam and a family friend are going to Ireland for St Patrick's day and staying for the week. It will be my daughter's first vacation abroad and I'm really excited to watch her experience a country other than the US. Next year, we are planning on going to Munich for Octoberfest.

Timing is everything, eh? St. Patrick's Day in Ireland and Octoberfest in Munich.

Sounds like a party (depending on how the daughter factors in).

Me, I tend to hit Bangladesh in monsoon season, Machu Picchu on the solstice, Mecca for the hajj, and San Juan Capistrano for the departure of the swallows. (I suppose MP and Mecca on those dates might be considered 'parties' in some sense of the word. Gads.)

Timing is everything, eh? St. Patrick's Day in Ireland and Octoberfest in Munich.

Sounds like a party (depending on how the daughter factors in).

Dublin should be fun for everyone on St. Patrick's as they do have a major parade etc., and that is just one of the seven days we will be there. The only time time I'm taking for myself is to go golfing at a castle we are staying at.

I moved around a bunch as a kid, and subsequently dislike travelling. I have favorite places (such as Abaco island) where I plan to return to several more times, but I can travel vicariously through books and tv now. It's just a function of my upbringing. I can certainly understand why others like travelling.

Like many others, I tend to go to places others wouldn't.

The first time I visited the US, I went to Newark NJ. After a couple of days, I went into a bar there and there was a trio of plain clothes policemen there. We chatted for bit and, after while, they asked why I had come to Newark. I said, "some people read Uncle Remus when they're young, and ant to visit The South. Other read Zane Grey and wind up on a dude ranch in Arizona. When I was young, I read Amiri Baraka."

This was DEFINITELY the wrong thing to say. They got their fuckin GUNS out!!!!!

MG

By the way, Vibes, I guess I missed you question when you posted it. Though maybe I PMed you back then.

Nope, but that's OK. I'd still love to hear whatever you have to share. It seems like the last time I heard you were in one of the "stan" countries. I could be wrong, though.

Not exotic, but my wife and I will be visiting Europe for the first time in May. We'll be going on an 11-night cruise that will be sailing from Rome and visiting ports in Italy, Greece and Turkey. We've never been on a cruise before, but she had been pestering me about visiting Italy and this seemed like a good way to see a lot of different places in a short amount of time. I'm most excited about seeing Istanbul.

Nope, but that's OK. I'd still love to hear whatever you have to share. It seems like the last time I heard you were in one of the "stan" countries. I could be wrong, though.

Not exotic, but my wife and I will be visiting Europe for the first time in May. We'll be going on an 11-night cruise that will be sailing from Rome and visiting ports in Italy, Greece and Turkey. We've never been on a cruise before, but she had been pestering me about visiting Italy and this seemed like a good way to see a lot of different places in a short amount of time. I'm most excited about seeing Istanbul.

I've done a couple of stints in the 'stans, most notably July through September 2001 in Kyrgy-, Turkmeni-, Kazakh-, Uzbeki-, and Tajiki-, culminating in 9/11 in Afghani-... Good times.

Istanbul I haven't visited in a while, but it's certainly a great place. Interesting, but easy travel. Decent climate. Just don't get trapped in a rug-seller's shop.

Travel?

Do I like travel?

South Africa, Mozambique, Morocco, Egypt, Swaziland, Madagascar, India (two times) Lao, Cambodia, Thailand, Burma, Canada, Alaska, Caribbean, (some of ), Turkey, Venezuela, Mexico, Guatemala, basically all Europe, NordCapp with motorbike, and I am planning a perfect nomad life when I'll retired.

Edited by porcy62

Travel?

Do I like travel?

South Africa, Mozambique, Morocco, Egypt, Swaziland, Madagascar, India (two times) Lao, Cambodia, Thailand, Burma, Canada, Alaska, Caribbean, (some of ), Turkey, Venezuela, Mexico, Guatemala, basically all Europe, NordCapp with motorbike, and I am planning more travels when I'll retired.

Some particularly nice spots in there:

I really enjoyed the Lao PDR, though that was 20 years ago

Same for Cambodia, though I probably wouldn't recognize the place anymore. No hotels back then. Well, none bigger than a breadbox.

Alaska is one of my favorite places.

Marrakech was a bit touristy for me (though entertaining!); I liked Fez and Rabat, though my total time in both was just a month.

Travel?

Do I like travel?

South Africa, Mozambique, Morocco, Egypt, Swaziland, Madagascar, India (two times) Lao, Cambodia, Thailand, Burma, Canada, Alaska, Caribbean, (some of ), Turkey, Venezuela, Mexico, Guatemala, basically all Europe, NordCapp with motorbike, and I am planning more travels when I'll retired.

Some particularly nice spots in there:

I really enjoyed the Lao PDR, though that was 20 years ago

Same for Cambodia, though I probably wouldn't recognize the place anymore. No hotels back then. Well, none bigger than a breadbox.

Alaska is one of my favorite places.

Marrakech was a bit touristy for me (though entertaining!); I liked Fez and Rabat, though my total time in both was just a month.

I spent more or less three months in India, and it was quite an experience, northwest and south. I am talking about fifteen years ago.

I was in Marrakech this Christmas, after ten years from my first visit and it's totally changed, tourist and money rules. Fez and Rabat are still the "true Morocco", tough things is rapidly changing everywhere. Turkey it's interesting place: two different world, Istanbul (and mediterranean coast) and Anatolia.

I was in Mozambique for my job: shooting a documentary just after the end of civil war, though place at times.

Burma, Lao and Cambodia was three different trips, I particulary loved Burmese's people. At times I was a backpacker so no hotels and lots of public transports.

Overall I got unforgettable memories of all of my travels.

For sure travelling is best way to lost and find a better yourself.

bebop, you are a japanese minimal house DJ?

Short answer: I'm an old man. Hence, I don't even understand the question/relevance :blink:

Are we talking microhouse/techno, glitch? I listen to only what I think of as old-school techno (Detroit's Dopplereffekt, for instance) or the pre-techno/Krautrock stuff (Neu!, Can, Kraftwerk). Anything beyond that, and I'm in the dark.

• 1 year later...

... Coming through the tunnel du Mont Blanc on the way down to Florence was a bit of a disappointment. Looks like a very poor area. By the time we hit Tuscany though, Italy had turned into the beautiful country I had seen in pictures. In Florence, we hoped to see the great museums. The night we arrived, we walked to Il Duomo, found a great courtyard restaurant which to this day is the single best setting I've ever eaten at. Everything you could imagine. Brick courtyard, anciant fountain, small gardens, lights strung around for atmosphere. Picture perfect.

The next morning we awoke to the new that a mafia car bombing outside the Uffizzi killed 6 and did substantial damage to the building and several paintings. All the museums in the city were shut down. We spent the day touring various sites and had one of the more interesting lunches ever. Right on the Piazza della Signora - which is right in front of the Uffizzi - we found a great little restaurant where we ate pizza, drank wine and watched anti-mafia demonstrators, riot police and CNN reporters do their thing. It was pretty exciting to be on the scene of a major news event like that. My wife even got on Italian TV we found out later as she could be seen in the background of an interview on the news.

My family spent 18 months living in Florence when I was 15-16. Any traveling we did as a family we stayed pretty close to Italy. A summer trip to Greece. Down to Sicily. Interesting to think back on that time (1972-73), even though I was pretty young, my folks let me travel by train with my friends to Venice, Rome, several day-night trips to Bologna, where they regularly held concerts in the sports arena there.

Went back to travel Europe a few times in my early 20s. Amsterdam, Paris, Italy, Greece, Germany. Sadly, haven't been back since. ... Rome would have to be my favorite large European city. The history of the place alone can be pretty overwhelming, especially for a young person.

Have been to the Canadian Rockies and out to Vancouver Island. Took a trip to Tokyo a few years ago that was amazing. Drove out into the countryside to a traditional Japanese lakeside hot springs retreat on the shores of one of the five lakes that surround Mount Fuji. With a view much like this:

288px-FujiSunriseKawaguchiko2025WP.jpg

Don't think I've ever been more relaxed and at peace than I was after spending a half hour or so in the hot springs (inside the resort facility) then returning to my traditional Japanese quarters to put on a komono, lie on the floor with the iPod on looking out over the lake at Mt. Fuji. Pretty incredible.

Tokyo itself is a trip. Unbelievably large city.

Would love to make a trip back to Italy when the time is right. It's been almost 30 years! :o

Edited by papsrus