Blindfold Test 136 discussion

tkeith

I think the only track where I will have something reasonably (?) intelligent to say is #1. It sounds so much like Basie it hurts, but it's not Basie. And those hints of Ellington's "Things Ain't What They Used to Be" (perhaps I'm the only one that hears them?) are even more deceiving. Anyway: I'm almost certain that's Buddy Tate, who played with Basie for nearly a decade. Dickie Wells on trombone, I believe. From the 60's or 70's? I can't recall the title, and it's bugging me terribly--those riffs are so familiar! Good stuff!

Edited by lipi

Here goes...

1 – Oh yeah. Some older musicians growing old gracefully. There was a Buddy Tate-Al Grey group in the '80s that used the "She got it, she keep it" verse as set-closing theme, so I have to guess at least one of them is involved, and the tenor sounds very much like Tate indeed.

2 – Groove in 5/4 pinched from the "Mission Impossible" theme. Late-'70s/early-80s time frame. Peculiar alto, nice tenor and piano. No guess, but this is pretty nice.

3 – Ohh, nice groove, deep and wide. Consistently interesting tenor. I can't summon a guess right now.

4 – A variation of the "Mission Impossible" groove. A strange thing wrapped in ECM reverb, but probably not ECM. Telepathic responses from all players involved. This is really beautiful. If I knew who it was I'd buy the disc today.

5 – Great minds think alike. I'd considered including Ed Wilkerson's "Light on the Path" on a BFT myself. Not familiar with this lovely version.

6 – Are they playing "Boogie Woogie Waltz," sorta? The guitar is nice.

7 – Great theme. Here comes the Rhodes. Yeah, I'm liking this.

8 – Tasty piano. I keep waiting for it to turn into "Norwegian Wood." The coolest moment, and there are many cool ones, is the harmonic surprise in the coda.

More to come.

Wow... so, I guess the "upgrade" does let you toggle to raw code any longer.  That sucks.  

1 - Correct on Tate (didn't figure I was going to fool many on this one, but how could I not include it?).   

2 - I like your assessment.  This is a decidedly odd version of someone else's tune.  It's the mix of players that lead me to include it.

3 - This is going to surprise some people.

4 - Hadn't thought about the MI link, but you're right.  This one blew me away when it crossed the iPod.  

5 - Ding!  Ding!  This is EW's Light on the Path.  We'll leave the specifics open to guesses.  Such a great track.

6 - Not BWW.  

7 - I'm really looking forward to the feedback on this one, as it's not like anything else I typically would include on a BFT.

8 - Yes, I heard that in there the first time, too.  

Here goes...

1 – Oh yeah. Some older musicians growing old gracefully. There was a Buddy Tate-Al Grey group in the '80s that used the "She got it, she keep it" verse as set-closing theme, so I have to guess at least one of them is involved, and the tenor sounds very much like Tate indeed.

2 – Groove in 5/4 pinched from the "Mission Impossible" theme. Late-'70s/early-80s time frame. Peculiar alto, nice tenor and piano. No guess, but this is pretty nice.

3 – Ohh, nice groove, deep and wide. Consistently interesting tenor. I can't summon a guess right now.

4 – A variation of the "Mission Impossible" groove. A strange thing wrapped in ECM reverb, but probably not ECM. Telepathic responses from all players involved. This is really beautiful. If I knew who it was I'd buy the disc today.

5 – Great minds think alike. I'd considered including Ed Wilkerson's "Light on the Path" on a BFT myself. Not familiar with this lovely version.

6 – Are they playing "Boogie Woogie Waltz," sorta? The guitar is nice.

7 – Great theme. Here comes the Rhodes. Yeah, I'm liking this.

8 – Tasty piano. I keep waiting for it to turn into "Norwegian Wood." The coolest moment, and there are many cool ones, is the harmonic surprise in the coda.

More to come.

1 – Stylistically outside of my domain, though this sounds like a fairly recent vintage recording.  Pianist listened to plenty of Count Basie.  All very well played for what it is.  Very blatant lyrics, I must say…

2 – Starts out like the theme from “Mission Impossible”, but then turns into George Coleman’s “5/4 Thing”.  I don’t recognize the version.  Sounds like a later day Coleman on tenor.   It’s a great tune in any competent version, which this certainly is, though I prefer both the Eastern Rebellion and Elvin Jones versions.  Not crazy about the drummer, and not knocked out by either of the sax solos..   Do like the trumpeter, pianist, and bassist quite a bit.

3 – Listened to so much of this sort of thing in the 70’s, and never get tired of that approach to a rhythm section.  Has the feel of an Elvin Jones trio, though it’s not him.  The bass player is the one who keeps my ear the whole way through.  Love the double stop things he does in his solo. 

4 – Really like this, great sound, outside of what I’m used to, assume it’s newer vintage as the rhythm section approach hits my ears as unique.  Look forward to finding out what this is,and possibly adding to collection if I don’t have it already. 

5 – The subtleties are lost on me…

6 – Experientially falls somewhere between #4 and #5 for me.  My 60 year old ears/brain can only sort of wrap around it.  Interesting for sure, but hard work for me to listen to, and undecided if it’s worth the work to me.  But they are definitely on to something.  I had the same type of experience listening to some Ben Allison stuff a few years ago.

7 –I started out with negative comments about this, but then it turned into this monster Miles Brewfest.  Even good use of the ring modulator, like the salad days of Zawinul-Hancock-Corea (all with Miles)/Cables.  I suspect this is much more recent.  I know Dave Douglas did an album that sounds like this, but I like this trumpet player more than I usually like Douglas.  Wallace Roney has also done some stuff like this, and is maybe a better guess.  I could see the trumpet player being Roney.  The other guy it brings to mind for me is Christian Scott (who I need to hear more of), and he is my best guess for this cut.

8 – “Jazz Impressions of Norwegian Wood” on ECM by Keith Jarrett, except that such a thing doesn’t exist.  But if it did, this would be it.  Except the humming/grunting is missing.  But it will more likely prove to be Abdullah Ibrahim or something.

9 – I’m sure the various sounds on the guitar seemed like a good idea at the time.  And the guy can obviously play.  Like that time Pat Martino did that whole Prestige album on electric 12-string.  I have it but never play it, as I “should” like it but find it basically unlistenable.  The percussion on this is also too static for my ears.  But I sure do like the organ solo!

10 –“On Green Dolphin Street” of course.  Older recording.  Sax solo is lost on me, sounds like a pre-bop player?  Short little compact solos by all involved.  Like the bass drums trading fours.  Cool little piano riff that goes with the tune. 

11 – I most certainly have this on the (too many) shelves.  Great stuff, though the specifics are lost on me at the moment.  Probably a Blue Note, given the quality and the likelihood of some rehearsal having gone into the recording.

12 – Has to be a vinyl rip.  Truly poor fidelity, and truly nice music.  Sounds pretty familiar, though I am not placing it.  I’d guess 70’s vintage, given the butterflyness of the bass player’s approach (boy, did Stanley Clark change jazz bass).  This sounds like one of those slight changes to a well-known tune so that the new “author” can get the publishing royalties.  Bass player steals the show for me, though it’s all good.  Trombone player’s album?  And that should probably be a clue.  Looking forward to the ID.

13 – Very lovely.  Nice control of the flute, and the rhythm section doesn’t overplay, given the delicacy of the tune.  If this is 60’s/early 70’s vintage, I may well own this.

14 – Dick Griffin on trombone?  Sounds like the style he played in on that Strata-East album he made.  Not crazy about the multiphonics sound, but it’s his thing and to be respected.

15 – Last but certainly not least!  John Handy with Michael White and Jerry Hahn.  I quit wasting my time writing up “album of the month” blurbs on the site when I posted Handy’s ‘Live at Monterey’ album one month, and got absolutely no love for it, just a bashing from one of the esteemed old-timers on the board.  This cut is “Debonair” from ‘The Second John Handy Album’.  Stunning stuff.  This group, and the Monterey album, were instrumental in my initial love of jazz.

Awesome BFT, can’t wait to read the comments and see the reveal, thanks Thom!

1 – Stylistically outside of my domain, though this sounds like a fairly recent vintage recording.  Pianist listened to plenty of Count Basie.  All very well played for what it is.  Very blatant lyrics, I must say…

That's the bright side.  Love those lyrics.  Dirty old men making a statement.  :P

2 – Starts out like the theme from “Mission Impossible”, but then turns into George Coleman’s “5/4 Thing”.  I don’t recognize the version.  Sounds like a later day Coleman on tenor.   It’s a great tune in any competent version, which this certainly is, though I prefer both the Eastern Rebellion and Elvin Jones versions.  Not crazy about the drummer, and not knocked out by either of the sax solos..   Do like the trumpeter, pianist, and bassist quite a bit.

Correct ID on the tune.  I agree on the drummer, and I think a lot of people will be surprised by the entire cast.  The trumpeter should be royalty, instead of the insider that he is.  Bassist should also get more love.

3 – Listened to so much of this sort of thing in the 70’s, and never get tired of that approach to a rhythm section.  Has the feel of an Elvin Jones trio, though it’s not him.  The bass player is the one who keeps my ear the whole way through.  Love the double stop things he does in his solo. 

I agree about the bass player.  Oddly, he is completely forgotten.  Most don't even know of his association with this band.

4 – Really like this, great sound, outside of what I’m used to, assume it’s newer vintage as the rhythm section approach hits my ears as unique.  Look forward to finding out what this is,and possibly adding to collection if I don’t have it already. 

This is going to surprise a lot of people.  This, to me, is nearly mandatory for the collection, if only for it's role in an historical context.

5 – The subtleties are lost on me…

You might want to give it a second chance later.

6 – Experientially falls somewhere between #4 and #5 for me.  My 60 year old ears/brain can only sort of wrap around it.  Interesting for sure, but hard work for me to listen to, and undecided if it’s worth the work to me.  But they are definitely on to something.  I had the same type of experience listening to some Ben Allison stuff a few years ago.

A fair assessment.  I feel similar, but after hearing it, just can't clear it from my head.

7 –I started out with negative comments about this, but then it turned into this monster Miles Brewfest.  Even good use of the ring modulator, like the salad days of Zawinul-Hancock-Corea (all with Miles)/Cables.  I suspect this is much more recent.  I know Dave Douglas did an album that sounds like this, but I like this trumpet player more than I usually like Douglas.  Wallace Roney has also done some stuff like this, and is maybe a better guess.  I could see the trumpet player being Roney.  The other guy it brings to mind for me is Christian Scott (who I need to hear more of), and he is my best guess for this cut.

Not Roney, not Scott.  People NEED to know this guy.  Fortunately, it's relatively early, so there is time.

8 – “Jazz Impressions of Norwegian Wood” on ECM by Keith Jarrett, except that such a thing doesn’t exist.  But if it did, this would be it.  Except the humming/grunting is missing.  But it will more likely prove to be Abdullah Ibrahim or something.

Not a bad guess (and what drew me in to the song), but not AI.  

9 – I’m sure the various sounds on the guitar seemed like a good idea at the time.  And the guy can obviously play.  Like that time Pat Martino did that whole Prestige album on electric 12-string.  I have it but never play it, as I “should” like it but find it basically unlistenable.  The percussion on this is also too static for my ears.  But I sure do like the organ solo!

The organ solo is the key to this one.  I get what you're saying, but as this sort of thing goes, this should have gotten more exposure.

10 –“On Green Dolphin Street” of course.  Older recording.  Sax solo is lost on me, sounds like a pre-bop player?  Short little compact solos by all involved.  Like the bass drums trading fours.  Cool little piano riff that goes with the tune. 

Great assessment all around.  I think people will get this one, so I'll refrain from further comment.

11 – I most certainly have this on the (too many) shelves.  Great stuff, though the specifics are lost on me at the moment.  Probably a Blue Note, given the quality and the likelihood of some rehearsal having gone into the recording.

Not BN, but not a bad guess.

12 – Has to be a vinyl rip.  Truly poor fidelity, and truly nice music.  Sounds pretty familiar, though I am not placing it.  I’d guess 70’s vintage, given the butterflyness of the bass player’s approach (boy, did Stanley Clark change jazz bass).  This sounds like one of those slight changes to a well-known tune so that the new “author” can get the publishing royalties.  Bass player steals the show for me, though it’s all good.  Trombone player’s album?  And that should probably be a clue.  Looking forward to the ID.

Not a vinyl rip, but definitely started that way.  Yes, 'bone player's album.  Bassist is a MONSTER. 

13 – Very lovely.  Nice control of the flute, and the rhythm section doesn’t overplay, given the delicacy of the tune.  If this is 60’s/early 70’s vintage, I may well own this.

It isn't, but originally was.  

14 – Dick Griffin on trombone?  Sounds like the style he played in on that Strata-East album he made.  Not crazy about the multiphonics sound, but it’s his thing and to be respected.

Correct!  I had the pleasure of spending a couple of days with the man and he is truly a survivor and ambassador of the music.  When you look at the scope of musicians across genres this guy has worked with, you realize he's one of the last connections to the true history.  

15 – Last but certainly not least!  John Handy with Michael White and Jerry Hahn.  I quit wasting my time writing up “album of the month” blurbs on the site when I posted Handy’s ‘Live at Monterey’ album one month, and got absolutely no love for it, just a bashing from one of the esteemed old-timers on the board.  This cut is “Debonair” from ‘The Second John Handy Album’.  Stunning stuff.  This group, and the Monterey album, were instrumental in my initial love of jazz.

Ding!  Ding!  Handy gets no love, and I will never understand that.  You would think the solo on Goodbye Porkpie Hat would cement him in the history of the music, but nobody even know the name.  The instrumentation of this band is one of the most unique and interesting I have heard.  AND, it works.

Awesome BFT, can’t wait to read the comments and see the reveal, thanks Thom!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Time to finish what I started...

9 – Is that the real Stanley Turrentine or somebody who wanted his paychecks? Dig those crazy geetar effects (I really do like them). The organ solo has some wonderful things, and some less-inspired spots.

10 – "Green Dolphin Street." OK, guys, keep the solos short 'cause our manager says we gotta fit more tunes on the LP. I like the trumpet, and the tenor makes me smile. Are these players perhaps from overseas?

11 – Oh, shoot, there's something familiar about this from the first note. A Jazz Messengers tune, though played by another band? Maybe that's a Bobby Watson tune I'm not recognizing? OTOH, that alto is definitely not Bobby. I get the feeling the pianist is the leader, and deservedly so. Mulgrew, James Williams, Donald Brown? Nice arranging touches during the piano solo, and for once the out chorus sounds like a real development instead of a mere repetition.

12 – Solid groove. Trombonist is the leader? But the real attraction is the tenor solo, which slips and slides all over the place as if the player had been listening to Sam Rivers.

13 – This makes me think of John Hicks and Elise Wood.

14 – Somebody beat me to Dick Griffin. Is the brief head immediately after the slow intro really meant to be "Whistle While You Work"?

15 – That alto is strong, with a great sound and great delivery, even if the ideas are running out toward the end of the solo. Violin is interesting. The guitarist delivers maybe the best solo of the bunch.

This is a whole gang of fun, Thom. Looking forward to the reveal. Thank you!

Time to finish what I started...

9 – Is that the real Stanley Turrentine or somebody who wanted his paychecks? Dig those crazy geetar effects (I really do like them). The organ solo has some wonderful things, and some less-inspired spots.

Not Stanley, but I'm sure he wouldn't have minded the paychecks.  He's more associated with another big tenor.

10 – "Green Dolphin Street." OK, guys, keep the solos short 'cause our manager says we gotta fit more tunes on the LP. I like the trumpet, and the tenor makes me smile. Are these players perhaps from overseas?

Not overseas.  The short songs are in keeping with the history of the leader.

11 – Oh, shoot, there's something familiar about this from the first note. A Jazz Messengers tune, though played by another band? Maybe that's a Bobby Watson tune I'm not recognizing? OTOH, that alto is definitely not Bobby. I get the feeling the pianist is the leader, and deservedly so. Mulgrew, James Williams, Donald Brown? Nice arranging touches during the piano solo, and for once the out chorus sounds like a real development instead of a mere repetition.

It *is* the pianist's date, but he goes back further than the stock you mention.  James Wiliams is probably the closest of that bunch.  I'm very pleased by the response to this track.

12 – Solid groove. Trombonist is the leader? But the real attraction is the tenor solo, which slips and slides all over the place as if the player had been listening to Sam Rivers.

Good ears.  Trombonist IS the leader, and yes, this guy listened to a LOT of Sam Rivers -- every time he played.  That would be the man himself.

13 – This makes me think of John Hicks and Elise Wood.

Excellent ear!  It IS John Hicks, but not with the missus.

14 – Somebody beat me to Dick Griffin. Is the brief head immediately after the slow intro really meant to be "Whistle While You Work"?

I don't know about the quote.  Yes, it IS Dick Griffin.  I hadn't intended it, but this BFT could really be centered around people deserving more appreciation.

15 – That alto is strong, with a great sound and great delivery, even if the ideas are running out toward the end of the solo. Violin is interesting. The guitarist delivers maybe the best solo of the bunch.

The great thing about this group is the way they function as a unit.  A very unique tribe.

This is a whole gang of fun, Thom. Looking forward to the reveal. Thank you!

Glad you enjoyed it!

01. Don’t know who this is, but I like it and will look to buy it once I find out who it is.

02. Blues in 5/4. Sounds a bit like the Mission Impossible Theme. I should have this I am sure if it is George Coleman.  

03. No clue, is this band we should know?

04. Another in 5/4.  Don’t know who this is.

05. Nice clarinet playing. Whomever this is, I need to pick up a copy of this recording. The drummer, his use of brushes are wonderful. It start to pick up at 4 minutes into the tune. Muted trumpet. Damn this is good.

06. No clue.

07. Is it Joe Zawinul on keyboards? I am completely guessing.

08. Sounds somewhat like Chuck Mangione’s  “Children of Sanchez” at first to me, then I hear some Chick Corea.  

09. It reminds me of Carlos Santana would have recorded, but I know it isn’t. No clue. I do like the guitarist.

10. On Green Dolphin Street. I listened to 40 different recording on allmusic trying to get who this is.

11. Nice. I like the tenor and trumpet lines during the head. I feel as if I should know this.

12. Don’t know.

13. Flute and ¾ time.  Once again no clue.

14. Up tempo. I like this. Don’t have any guesses.

15. Finally one I know. John Handy. Mosaic Select 35. Debonair

01. Don’t know who this is, but I like it and will look to buy it once I find out who it is.

02. Blues in 5/4. Sounds a bit like the Mission Impossible Theme. I should have this I am sure if it is George Coleman.  

George's tune, but not George.

03. No clue, is this band we should know?

It depends on who "we" is, but definitely a well known band in certain circles.

04. Another in 5/4.  Don’t know who this is.

This one is going to surprise people.

05. Nice clarinet playing. Whomever this is, I need to pick up a copy of this recording. The drummer, his use of brushes are wonderful. It start to pick up at 4 minutes into the tune. Muted trumpet. Damn this is good.

Yeah, right?  Semi-ID'd, but this one deserves more recognition.

06. No clue.

07. Is it Joe Zawinul on keyboards? I am completely guessing.

It is not.  This one is one I expect no one will get, but I'm hoping some people will be interested enough to seek it out.

08. Sounds somewhat like Chuck Mangione’s  “Children of Sanchez” at first to me, then I hear some Chick Corea.  

It is neither.  A hint, this is somewhat more "inside" than what this player is typically noted for.

09. It reminds me of Carlos Santana would have recorded, but I know it isn’t. No clue. I do like the guitarist.

Very definitely based on a Santana influence.

10. On Green Dolphin Street. I listened to 40 different recording on allmusic trying to get who this is.

Needle drop.

11. Nice. I like the tenor and trumpet lines during the head. I feel as if I should know this.

12. Don’t know.

13. Flute and ¾ time.  Once again no clue.

I'm surprised that nobody has bagged this one.  Perhaps one of the two most recognizable players in the test.

14. Up tempo. I like this. Don’t have any guesses.

15. Finally one I know. John Handy. Mosaic Select 35. Debonair

Ding!  Ding!  Correct.  Originally released on The 2nd John Handy Album.

12 is Jakubu's Dance by Dick Griffin from his Strata-East album 'The Eighth Wonder'.  Sam Rivers and Cecil McBee.  Are you allowed to feature the same guy twice in the same BFT? :huh: :rolleyes:

I sure hope so.  ;)    

Dick was going to teach me this song when I met him back in '06... he didn't.  He *did*, however, teach me The Queen.

12 is Jakubu's Dance by Dick Griffin from his Strata-East album 'The Eighth Wonder'.  Sam Rivers and Cecil McBee.  Are you allowed to feature the same guy twice in the same BFT? :huh: :rolleyes:

Most definitely featuring the same musician twice in the same BFT is allowed! I have done it several times!

#8 is a Keith Jarrett composition which I have heard by Jarrett many times. I can remember Jarrett's soft vocalizations behind certain parts of this, on the original recording. But I can't remember which Jarrett album it is from. It's maddening. It could be an excerpt from "The Koln Concert", which did not have song titles.   I do not know who is playing this Jarrett piece.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Most definitely featuring the same musician twice in the same BFT is allowed! I have done it several times!

#8 is a Keith Jarrett composition which I have heard by Jarrett many times. I can remember Jarrett's soft vocalizations behind certain parts of this, on the original recording. But I can't remember which Jarrett album it is from. It's maddening. It could be an excerpt from "The Koln Concert", which did not have song titles.   I do not know who is playing this Jarrett piece.

Perhaps inspired by KJ, but not his.  Pianist is the composer.

Perhaps inspired by KJ, but not his.  Pianist is the composer.

That amazes me that Jarrett is not the composer on #8.

Oh wait, it is Muhal Richard Abrams, the title track from his "Afrisong" album.

http://www.recordmania.net/media/covers/JFN87284.jpg

I bought this on LP on the India Navigation label and have played it a great many times. I am embarrassed that I did not get this one right away.

In fact, on my very first Blindfold Test I wanted to include an example of Muhal Richard Abrams' inside playing. I almost chose a track from "Afrisong" but decided to go with his performance of "Crepuscule With Nellie" from the live "Interpretations of Monk" album instead.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Well, late in the month again, but a bit earlier than last month; I’m catching up. Here we a-gogo. I do like your cover :)

1 ‘Smooth sailing’, a number associated with Arnett Cobb and Ella Fitzgerald, who scatted Arnett’s solo on her version. Well, this is a rather polite version; at least to start with. But Arnett – surely it’s Arnett, though I can’t find a recording he did with this instrumentation – brightens things up when he comes along.

Well, I listened to this again and surely it AIN’T Arnett. I said in one of the recent BFT discussion threads, ‘how come no modern players imitate Arnett?’ and I think you’ve thrown this one in to show me that someone does or has. Nice work, Thom.

2 Bit of a clever type tune. I recognise the rhythm riff from somewhere but can’t think where. But I don’t know this recording of whatever it is. The alto player reminds me of Jackie McLean sometimes and Sonny Cox other times, when he’s sounding a bit strangulated. So I don’t suppose it’s either. And the trumpeter makes me think of Woody Shaw, but I don’t suppose it’s him, either. The tenor player reminds me of someone who’s had hard lessons from an exacting teacher and mastered them. So does the pianist. Yes, OK, lads, well played, but you still lost.

3 Oh, here’s another one. I am really out of sync with this, so I’m going to skip it.

4 Sorry, I don’t know what this music means. Skip.

5 Ah a ballad. Well, so quiet and so little being said, I nodded off after less than a minute. Skip.

6 More stuff I don’t get. There’s some stuff that’s a bit intriguing being done with echo loops and cyclic phrases, so I haven’t skipped, but this is generally leaving me cold and somewhat irritated. But after 4.5 mins, skip.

7 A tune that tries to be dramatic but is only portentous. Nope, this ain’t for me, either.

8 This is quite nice. I think it’s Abdullah Ibrahim playing some kind of folksy song like ‘Shrimp boats’. I have one recording of him doing that song, rather differently and with more of an rhythmic emphasis and with a bass player and drummer. But that was nice.

9 (the long #9) Ah, here’s one I’ve got and was playing this morning, as it happens. It’s Groove Holmes, with Houston Person, Bob Devos, Idris Muhammad and Buddy Caldwell, playing ‘Do it to it’ from the Muse LP ‘Good vibrations’, with a smashing cover photo.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://ring.cdandlp.com/jetrecords/photo_grande/114682455.jpg[/img]

Thanks for that one, Tom.

9 (the short one) ‘On Green Dolphin Street’ and a nice version, which sounds as if I’ve got it. But when we get to the trumpet solo, I realise I haven’t got it, but probably should have. Sounds like a bunch of pretty recent guys, out to prove they can play the same nice music as was done forty years ago. But I think they really ought to be playing music as nice as was done forty years ago, but not much like it. Still pretty nice, though.

10 Sounds as if it’s gonna be a hard bop kind of blooooze. Sounds OK, but the alto player, playing all those non-blues changes kinda gets on my wick. And the trumpet player, too. I keep wanting them to start digging in and expressing something, but they don’t. The pianist’s doing it, too – that is, NOT doing it. So, in the end, I don’t really care who the guys are, I’m afraid.

11 Another kind of hard bop thing, sounding as if it’s Kai Winding trying not to be commercial on a commercial album. And the tenor player’s taking that advice seriously. Well, I don’t think it’s Kai Winding; I don’t think he was this good.

12 Ah, the only flute player I can recognise straight off, Fathead. This is from one of his many HighNote albums, reprising, with a different title, something he recorded in the sixties or seventies for Atlantic or Warner Bros.  The tune is the title of the album – ‘Song for the new man’, with John Hicks, Curtis Fuller, John Menegon and Jimmy Cobb. I can’t remember what the original title was at the moment, but I might think of it in a bit. Oh, it was originally ‘Song for the new man’, which he recorded on ‘Newmanism’ and, honestly, it was a bit better than the more recent version, to my ears. Though there’s nothing at all wrong with this one.

13 Oh, a nice roaring trombonist. I like trombonists who shout nice and loud. Can’t say I like the piece much, but I do like the way he plays. No, I really don’t like what he’s doing, but I do like the way he’s doing it.

14 Something fairly familiar about this sax player. Sounds like they’re going to break into ‘My favourite things’ in a minute. Hah! a quote at the end of his solo for ‘Mann’s is the best brown ale, best brown ale, best brown ale. Mann’s is the best brown ale, let’s have one now’, better known as ‘Oh du lieber Augustin’ I think. Never heard that on a jazz record. Wailing violinist. He’s a bit familiar, too. So’s the guitarist, if not so interesting. It isn’t ‘My favourite things’, but bits of it put together backwards. I like this and I’m looking forward to finding out who this is. Oh, it’s someone called John. Or maybe John’s the engineer or producer.

Glad I skipped several cuts rather than abandoned this BFT. You always never know with BFTs. Thanks Thom.

MG 

Ah, Dick Griffin! No wonder. I was listening to one of the recordings he made with Charles Earland over lunch. I guess I'm not surprised I didn't like what he was doing on this, now I know.

MG

Well, late in the month again, but a bit earlier than last month; I’m catching up. Here we a-gogo. I do like your cover :)

1 ‘Smooth sailing’, a number associated with Arnett Cobb and Ella Fitzgerald, who scatted Arnett’s solo on her version. Well, this is a rather polite version; at least to start with. But Arnett – surely it’s Arnett, though I can’t find a recording he did with this instrumentation – brightens things up when he comes along.

Well, I listened to this again and surely it AIN’T Arnett. I said in one of the recent BFT discussion threads, ‘how come no modern players imitate Arnett?’ and I think you’ve thrown this one in to show me that someone does or has. Nice work, Thom.

Well, not a modern player, by any means.

2 Bit of a clever type tune. I recognise the rhythm riff from somewhere but can’t think where. But I don’t know this recording of whatever it is. The alto player reminds me of Jackie McLean sometimes and Sonny Cox other times, when he’s sounding a bit strangulated. So I don’t suppose it’s either. And the trumpeter makes me think of Woody Shaw, but I don’t suppose it’s him, either. The tenor player reminds me of someone who’s had hard lessons from an exacting teacher and mastered them. So does the pianist. Yes, OK, lads, well played, but you still lost.

Interestingly, the alto player's voice is one of the most unique in the music, but (and here is a BIG hint), alto is not the horn he is noted for.  Trumpet was a lesser-known contemporary of Woody, but actually predates him.  I like the description of the tenor, but he's actually the one administering the hard lessons.  (HUGE hint)

3 Oh, here’s another one. I am really out of sync with this, so I’m going to skip it.

This one is going to be a surprise.

4 Sorry, I don’t know what this music means. Skip.

5 Ah a ballad. Well, so quiet and so little being said, I nodded off after less than a minute. Skip.

6 More stuff I don’t get. There’s some stuff that’s a bit intriguing being done with echo loops and cyclic phrases, so I haven’t skipped, but this is generally leaving me cold and somewhat irritated. But after 4.5 mins, skip.

7 A tune that tries to be dramatic but is only portentous. Nope, this ain’t for me, either.

8 This is quite nice. I think it’s Abdullah Ibrahim playing some kind of folksy song like ‘Shrimp boats’. I have one recording of him doing that song, rather differently and with more of an rhythmic emphasis and with a bass player and drummer. But that was nice.

Not AI.

9 (the long #9) Ah, here’s one I’ve got and was playing this morning, as it happens. It’s Groove Holmes, with Houston Person, Bob Devos, Idris Muhammad and Buddy Caldwell, playing ‘Do it to it’ from the Muse LP ‘Good vibrations’, with a smashing cover photo.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://ring.cdandlp.com/jetrecords/photo_grande/114682455.jpg[/img]

Thanks for that one, Tom.

Ding!  Ding!  Bitch of a tune!

9 (the short one) ‘On Green Dolphin Street’ and a nice version, which sounds as if I’ve got it. But when we get to the trumpet solo, I realise I haven’t got it, but probably should have. Sounds like a bunch of pretty recent guys, out to prove they can play the same nice music as was done forty years ago. But I think they really ought to be playing music as nice as was done forty years ago, but not much like it. Still pretty nice, though.

Well, you're half right.  These are the guys from that vintage.  (I think my choices have you over thinking here)

10 Sounds as if it’s gonna be a hard bop kind of blooooze. Sounds OK, but the alto player, playing all those non-blues changes kinda gets on my wick. And the trumpet player, too. I keep wanting them to start digging in and expressing something, but they don’t. The pianist’s doing it, too – that is, NOT doing it. So, in the end, I don’t really care who the guys are, I’m afraid.

11 Another kind of hard bop thing, sounding as if it’s Kai Winding trying not to be commercial on a commercial album. And the tenor player’s taking that advice seriously. Well, I don’t think it’s Kai Winding; I don’t think he was this good.

12 Ah, the only flute player I can recognise straight off, Fathead. This is from one of his many HighNote albums, reprising, with a different title, something he recorded in the sixties or seventies for Atlantic or Warner Bros.  The tune is the title of the album – ‘Song for the new man’, with John Hicks, Curtis Fuller, John Menegon and Jimmy Cobb. I can’t remember what the original title was at the moment, but I might think of it in a bit. Oh, it was originally ‘Song for the new man’, which he recorded on ‘Newmanism’ and, honestly, it was a bit better than the more recent version, to my ears. Though there’s nothing at all wrong with this one.

Ding!  Ding!  You knew John Hicks had to make an appearance on my BFT.

13 Oh, a nice roaring trombonist. I like trombonists who shout nice and loud. Can’t say I like the piece much, but I do like the way he plays. No, I really don’t like what he’s doing, but I do like the way he’s doing it.

14 Something fairly familiar about this sax player. Sounds like they’re going to break into ‘My favourite things’ in a minute. Hah! a quote at the end of his solo for ‘Mann’s is the best brown ale, best brown ale, best brown ale. Mann’s is the best brown ale, let’s have one now’, better known as ‘Oh du lieber Augustin’ I think. Never heard that on a jazz record. Wailing violinist. He’s a bit familiar, too. So’s the guitarist, if not so interesting. It isn’t ‘My favourite things’, but bits of it put together backwards. I like this and I’m looking forward to finding out who this is. Oh, it’s someone called John. Or maybe John’s the engineer or producer.

It is a John.  

Glad I skipped several cuts rather than abandoned this BFT. You always never know with BFTs. Thanks Thom.

MG 

1.  I love this, the feeling and the fun of it. I can't identify the musicians. I would like to buy this after I find out who it is.

2.  This is a solid bop tune, which again I cannot identify.

3.  This is exactly in the zone of music that I really love. I love the very compelling saxophone player, who has a deep Coltrane influence. The head of the song sounds like a sped up Coltrane composition. I love the active, energetic drummer. I love the sound and approach of the bass player. What is this? I am ordering it.

4.  This starts out for me somewhat like Miles Davis' original recording of "Nefertiti" in that the bass and drums supply the variety while the horns play the same thing. I love the sound and approach of the bass player. But then the tenor sax solo starts, and it reminds me of Dewey Redman on the ECM albums that he played on, such as the Old and New Dreams album. I really love this.

5.  Very interesting. It starts out so soft with the clarinet and drums, then moves into something else altogether. The muted and then open trumpet solos are very interesting--is that the same trumpet player playing both of them?  The drummer really opens up as the track goes on. This intrigues me. I would buy this one too.

6.  This is fascinating, all of the different elements. I really like it. There is a small bit of "Boogie Woogie Waltz" at the beginning, but they don't seem to continue with it or go back to it. The ensemble sounds quite large at times. The tenor sax player has such a big, compelling sound, and is so familiar to me when he plays the head, but I can't quite place him. Another one that I would definitely buy.

7.  Oh, this one is just great! Such powerhouse drumming! What a drummer! I like the electric piano and electronics, they add a nice different color. The trumpet solo is quite good. But to me, this is the drummer's record. Another one I want to buy.

8.. As I previously stated, this is the title cut, the opening cut, of Muhal Richard Abrams' "Afrisong" album. I purchased it as an LP on India Navigation, long ago. http://www.recordmania.net/media/covers/JFN87284.jpg

9.  I really don't know what this is. The guitar player has such a rock tone. The organist is great. The saxophone player has a distinctive tone. I like the Latin flavor. Really good!

10. Green Dolphin Street--I cannot place who this playing it, at all.

11.  A hard bop track. I really like the tenor sax solo. He is bluesy and unique, just what I like. The trumpet solo is quite good too. I want to know what this is--I would buy this one too.

12. This is truly great! I love the bass player's sound and approach. The trombone player is powerful and bluesy. The tenor sax player is quite good. I love the feeling of this track, the groove, the way that the percussion really adds to it. Another one to buy!

13.  Beautiful flute playing, really nice. I like this a lot. I can't place who it is.

14, Oh, I love this! Very powerful, soulful feeling. The trombone player is a very powerful player. I love how he plays, so rough and tough. It is an interesting larger ensemble. I have to have this.

15.  I don't know who this is but the guitar player sounds familiar. The sax player is a major player. I like this a lot.

Overall this is a truly great Blindfold Test, which is going to cost me a lot of money--unless I already have several of the albums which I love so much here, which is a distinct possibility even though I could only identify one track!

Edited by Hot Ptah