A-Rod's Impact

How will the AL East Shake Out?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After seeing an obnoxious letter in today's NYT claiming that the Yankees will have an insurmountable lead by June, I had to see what everyone else thinks.

I'm going with "Baseball Nirvana" though if forced to choose, I think #3 is more likely than the Yankees running away with it.

I hate the Yankees. I HATE the Yankees...I really HATE the Yankees.

This has nothing to do with the fact that Steinbrenner is the worst thing to happen to the sport since the invention of the Designated Hitter. I just HATE the Yankees. I hope they fall apart mid-season and Boston gets the the playoffs. Not that I like the Soxx any more than I hate the Yankees, but it's like the choice between either George Bush and Pat Buchannan in the Presidential election. It's that level of hatred. Sorry for the vent.

I'm from Philly, so, of course, I hate the Yankees, and I've always has a soft spot for Boston.

But, I tell you, as someone who's watched him a lot: You gotta like any team with Schilling on it. If he has anything left, he'll bring a competitive attitude to that team.

Might be real fun (though not as fun as the '93 Phillies).

--eric

I haven't commented under the Hot Stove League thread as I haven't been able to get my hands to stop shaking since the Yanks landed A-Rod. They finally settled down this morning.

I'll tell you one thing, if you're either a Yankee fan or a Red Sox fan, this is war. I love it. Now, having said that, you'll get no argument from me that what The Boss is doing isn't good for baseball. Nonetheless, he is still coloring inside the lines, no matter how antiquated and unbalanced those lines may be. Baseball needs to get its financial house in order and if this kind of thing in any way hastens that eventuality, then more power to it.

I will also say that I'd rather have an owner like Steinbrenner who's not afraid to plow money back into his franchise. That's a whole lot more than you can say for an ownership group like the one that has the Mariners. The M's sell out Safeco Field for almost every home game and you absolutely know someone is making a boatload of money, so what do they do...they go out and sign tomato cans like Raul Ibanez. If I was an M's fan, I'd be marching in the streets.

You had to love the smackdown The Boss laid on Sox owner John Henry last week. Someone said it reminded them of that famous picture of Ali standing over Cleveland Williams after he'd knocked Williams into the middle of next month. Henry should know better than to haul that weak s__t into George's kitchen.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Think about the incremental gain of A-Rod vs. Soriano, its got to be a little less painful for Boston. And they keep a great SS and a slugger. They might even be the favorites w/ new pitching.

I think the loss of Pettite could be substantial, you hang on to great AND good lefty pitching, always. If the Yanks see too many lefty bats in visiting lineups, and there is weakness on the mound, forget it, especially in this new muscle era. They'll be losing a few 8-6 games like they used to in the 80s w/ Winfield, Mattingly and Ricky.

I'm surprised nobody is talking much about 2nd base. I would be thinking about keeping the middle strong. How about moving Jeter to 2B and letting A-Rod have SS, George?

Dan,

Well that's not exactly what I said, but now that I think about it, I can probably live with your interpretation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with all this October trash talk, my cheek has begun to smart. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it's almost like someone has throw down the perverbial gauntlet. Can this possibly be true?

Up over and out.

Its certainly true to the extent that the suggestion that the Sox are through and the Yanks can plan the victory parade is premature at minimum, and pretty ridiculous, period. We will see you in October, of that I'm confident.

Why? How about because:

The Red Sox won 95 games last year and they have added Schilling, Foulke, and Ellis Burks, and the only change in their everyday lineup is Pokey Reese, a Gold Glove second baseman, for Todd Walker, Mr. Good Hit, No Field. They'll also have Scott Williamson for the entire season, and BK Kim nowhere near the bullpen.

The Yankees have lost 60% of their starting pitchers and over half of last year's wins. They traded away the only thing keeping Jason Giambi from 140 games at first base (other than Giambi's own knees). They've replaced their departed ace with a 39 year old who's been to the DL 7 times in three years. And they've imported three self-centered whiners, bad apples that Joe Torre has never had to deal with in the championship years. And they're replacing one aging center fielder with an even older center fielder.

And last but not least, ask Ghost. The Yankees haven't won a World Series with a Republican in the White House in the Steinbrenner era.

But seriously, anyone who thinks the Yanks have clinched a championship and the Sox are toast is loco.

RE: QUIT CRYING, YOUR TEAM'S OWNER IS PROBABLY A TOTAL LOSER, BUT HE/SHE WILL DIE SOMEDAY

If the other owners want parity, they should let go of the antitrust exemption, and then get the moving van packed and ready for Mexico City, London, Caracas, wherever. Make baseball a global sport, intra-competitive economically, and there could be gobs of money for every existing team, if that is what they (the owners) want. They probably crave Yankee money more than success, because they can't possibly be giving out $50m+ contracts thinking this is a good way to build a team.

Over-expansion and really bad ownership is coming to roost. Why couldn't the Rangers go bankrupt anyway? Wouldn't that have been for the greater good of the game?

There should surely be a few National League teams (Cardinals, Dodgers at the very least) to rival the economic power of the Yanks and oh yes the Red Sox. Look at the Tigers and the Orioles for case studies in formerly excellent franchises that were squandered by bad ownership. The owners are mostly idiots, so quit crying about the Yanks, they are not the problem. Your team's owners are the problem. Last time I checked, fans in Miami were still pretty tickled with how things worked out last fall, and that was not a fluke, it was a formula that took some brains and patience. The game is played between the lines, and excellent teams still only win 6 out of 10 generally speaking. So if your team is only winning 4 or 5, you've got a shot too. Just tell your owner to quit signing bad free agents, avoid 5 year contracts, draft as much good pitching as possible, and be patient. Hire good scouts too.

Back when their owners were idiots, the Yanks sucked too. The Yanks were un-watch-able in the early 90s. Not just bad, unwatchable. It happens.

Under no circumstances would I stick my neck out far enough to say the Yanks are a lock. There's no such thing. For a round object, a baseball has been known to bounce in some mighty strange and unpredictable ways. I still like the Yank's chances, but to say they're a cinch to win it all, or even to win the AL or the AL East for that matter would be sheer folly.

I know the Sox have beefed up and the Yanks lost some key players, but consider this. The Yanks won 101 games last year and added the following players:

Javier Vasquez - 13 game winner 3.24 ERA for MONTREAL!

Kevin Brown - 16 game winner 2.39 ERA.

Paul Quantrill - 89 games 1.75 ERA.

Tom Gordon - 77 games 3.16 ERA.

Not to mention Jon Lieber who won 20 for the Cubs two years ago, He may be the key piece of the whole pitching enchilada. Or, Steve Karsay who may be ready by mid-season.

On the offensive side:

Gary Sheffield - .330, 39 HR, 132 RBI's.

Kenny Lofton - .296, 30 steals.

Alex Rodriquez - only the AL MVP.

Tony Clark was signed to back up Giambi, so while he's no Nick Johnson, he won't be asked to do what Johnson was asked to do. I also expect that the Yanks may work Eric Almonte at second base. He's probably their best minor league hitter. I'd also like to see Jeter at the "4" but that isn't going to happen.

As I said earlier...I like our chances.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

I know the Sox have beefed up and the Yanks lost some key players, but consider this. The Yanks won 101 games last year and added the following players:

Javier Vasquez - 13 game winner 3.24 ERA for MONTREAL!

Kevin Brown - 16 game winner 2.39 ERA.

Paul Quantrill - 89 games 1.75 ERA.

Tom Gordon - 77 games 3.16 ERA.

Not to mention Jon Lieber who won 20 for the Cubs two years ago, He may be the key piece of the whole pitching enchilada. Or, Steve Karsay who may be ready by mid-season.

On the offensive side:

Gary Sheffield - .330, 39 HR, 132 RBI's.

Kenny Lofton - .296, 30 steals.

Alex Rodriquez - only the AL MVP.

Tony Clark was signed to back up Giambi, so while he's no Nick Johnson, he won't be asked to do what Johnson was asked to do. I also expect that the Yanks may work Eric Almonte at second base. He's probably their best minor league hitter. I'd also like to see Jeter at the "4" but that isn't going to happen.

As I said earlier...I like our chances.

Up over and out.

Funny how you use the same construction as I did: X number of wins and added players A, B, C.

But you ignore the fact that the Sox added four top notch players and lost essentially no one, while the Yanks added all-stars and all-universes but also lost their best post-season pitcher and two hall of famers (OK, its the drunk hall of fame, but still) and replaced them with:

Brown: One GM said the likelihood he makes 25 starts is zero.

Leiber: Missed more than a season, will he be back at full strength and effectiveness?

Then there's A-Rod and Sheffield: Right handed power hitters in a park designed for lefties.

(here's my prediction: Soriano hits 50+ in Texas; A-Rod drops to 35-40. No way Sheffield hits them like he did in Atlanta-lots of long outs to Death Valley)

But enough already. We'll talk in September, and perhaps there'll be another war in October.

Dan,

With regard to the format of my last e-mail, I knowingly replicated your approach. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. However, I must tell you that I deliberately left out a most important piece of the puzzle. The one arrow in the Yankee's quiver about which Red Sox Nation can only whisper. I speak of ghosts my friend. The ghosts of 1978, 1986...the same ghosts that reappeared on a cold, late, October evening last Fall in the House that Ruth built. Dare I say it?

THE CURSE OF THE BAMBINO

The three "B's"...Bucky in '78, Buckner in '86 and Boone in '03. The fact that the Sox have been in but four World Series since 1918 and have lost all four in the 7th game. I'm not one who generally holds with this sort of mumbo jumbo, but in this case, the evidence rises to a level that's at once indisputable, irrefutable and undeniable. Woe is you.

I know both of us are looking forward to the coming season with more anticipation than ever before. Should be fun. Let the games begin.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James