HURRICANE JOAQUIN

We are watching this closely. It could potentially become a major rain event here in the mid-Atlantic. As of right now, our best hope is that the hurricane pulls along the Euro model and we are only left with the 6-10" of rain from the low pressure system currently pushing its way in and are spared from the winds and additional 10" that Joaquin would bring. 

I'm hoping that this is the case, but thought I'd set up a thread for East Coasters to check in over the weekend. We've been through our share of hurricanes. No reason not to make preparations, especially with the specific convergence we are seeing here. Potential Isabel all over again.   

I love how the media is already falling over themselves breathlessly wondering, "will this be another SUPERSTORM SANDY?!" 

Also, who knew a Cat 3 Hurricane was now referred to as a superstorm? When Hurricane Charley, a Cat 4, destroyed my hometown in Florida, it was just know as Hurricane Charley. 

I guess they only become Superstorms when they hit the precious center of art and humanity known as NYC. 

Good luck to those in the path or potential path, but all I can say is thank God that there is this front coming thru that is like a force-field to push this system to the north shortly. If it wasn't coming thru, south Florida would be in pandemonium, with a storm this big this close and we'd be right in it's sights.

I love how the media is already falling over themselves breathlessly wondering, "will this be another SUPERSTORM SANDY?!" 

Also, who knew a Cat 3 Hurricane was now referred to as a superstorm? When Hurricane Charley, a Cat 4, destroyed my hometown in Florida, it was just know as Hurricane Charley. 

I guess they only become Superstorms when they hit the precious center of art and humanity known as NYC. 

It doesn't matter what they call it, so long as people take the necessary precautions  Hurricane categories rate sustained wind sheer only. I have seen Category 1 storms more devastating than the higher category storms Bertha and Fran.  

It isn't just the hurricane. There are also two lows converging with the hurricane, which could potentially dump another 10-20" inches of rain into an already saturated region. We are already experiencing flooding in Central VA. 30mph gusts can uproot loblolly pines and other shallow-root trees, snap water-logged oak limbs, and create issues for infrastructure. 

Charlie was a terrible storm, but we don't set our expectations based on category alone.

Thanks for the moderation. 

The fact that the storm continues to strengthen is actually working in our favor, making it more difficult for the inland low to pull it in. The Euro model is holding strong and the hurricane will most likely stay out to sea.

Plenty more rain ahead, but I think we will be spared Cat3 winds on the mid-ATLANTIC seaboard. 

Outer Banks and many others will no doubt see heavy flooding. 

Charlie was a terrible storm, but we don't set our expectations based on category alone.

Yes, I know. I lived in Hurricane Alley for 32 years. And only a few miles from the coastline. 

The northern transplants were what made things such a bear down there, as they either 1. Had absolutely no clue how to properly prepare for a storm, or 2. Didn't take those storms seriously. 

The wind gauge on top of the four story hospital my wife and I worked at recorded a gust of 185mph when Charley's eyeball passed overhead. Lots of folks learned some pretty important lessons that day. 

I still think the term "superstorm" is melodramatic media-driven horseshit. 

This surely could have been a hell of a storm were it January. We'd be measuring snow in feet. Thankful that the hurricane pushed out to sea. Hurricane winds coupled with these rains would have been disastrous across a wide swath of the mid-Atlantic. We are seeing flash and areal flooding here in Richmond. 

All in all, we got off easy. 

PS I watch the weather through wxrisk.com, whom I've found to be very reliable in our region. I was oblivious to any talk of a superstorm. 

Just a lot of rain here in NJ but this was around the time (early by a couple of weeks) of Sandy, which was preceded the year before by a smaller storm that resulted in no power for three days.  We now have a generator that runs off natural gas so we are prepared. 

The tides have been historic. Major coastal erosion and flood damage from SC on up the Chesapeake. Inland, we have seen entire mature oak trees uprooted, leaves still green, floating down river. I believe tomorrow's high is supposed to be the worst, then we will see the tide begin to normalize again. 

Edited by .:.impossible
Redundancy