iTunes Blues

mjzee

My current iTunes software is over 6 years old.
I haven't updated my OS for a long time too,
but when I do, I always know what I'm
"actually going to get [from] them"
(This one is rather minor, so not much is said for this one):

vuVUJcI.png

Edited by rostasi

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forced updates, i.e. - job-enforced - mandate you to adapt. I just got Office 2013 at work today, had heard massive weepings about how "I can't FIND anything anymore", especially in Outlook, but....if you've worked with Microsoft apps before, you should know that there's a hood to get under, right? So I was able to customize it back to as much as it was before as possible.

One the one hand, it's a drag that the net result of this is that I had to go through all of this to keep doing everything I was already doing, only to have it "look" a little different. I like the way it looked before, but I was used to that. I'll get used to this.

Upside, the new Office does seem to offer greater functionality for true power users (one of which I am not), and it will no doubt work smoother with 10 (if/when we ever get there, right now on 7, and nooooo complaints there for me about that).

What strikes me, though, is that so many people get wigged out by change, their first and often only reaction is to cry about it. Well, hell, learn how the shit works, Google it, Click the ?, hell, ask a teammate who's NOT crying, right? There are no mysteries to this stuff, at least not at the basic end-user level. Know your software, own your outcome, right?

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

What strikes me, though, is that so many people get wigged out by change, their first and often only reaction is to cry about it. Well, hell, learn how the shit works, Google it, Click the ?, hell, ask a teammate who's NOT crying, right? There are no mysteries to this stuff, at least not at the basic end-user level. Know your software, own your outcome, right?

An amen of the unrepresentative sampling type. 

But, in fairness it is human nature to oppose change. You know that as well as I do. 

Comfort is as comfort does, that's what Forrest said...

4 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

What do you mean by "pull downloading"? 

Presumably this means getting rid of the iTunes store (buy and download) in favor of Apple Music (flat fee and streaming ... but with downloading also available). A move like this would make me sad. I'm not sure I see it happening though. The marginal cost of maintaining the buy workflow in addition to the streaming flow is not that high.

I can't remember where I read it - possibly a Guardian article in the last week or two. I got the impression it was suggesting Apple might stick to plain streaming. After all, if it ditches the headphone socket from its phones despite protests I'm sure it won't worry about some annoyed downloaders. It must have done the maths and decided that downloading is not worth continuing. I could be totally wrong. I am very old. 

No idea about FLAC/ALAC/any other acronym - I'm not techky-astute.