LF: Miles Davis "Complete Live

Do you have to join a membership club or something with Columbia, Greg? Do you know the link?

Someone else mentioned that they got a bunch of sets there for $30 or some low price.

yes, with CH you have to sign up and buy something like 3 or 4 or maybe 5 CDs in 2 or 3 years, something like that. They have a good selection of jazz box sets with good prices, but not much else. The regular price for discs is around $18 and I think S & H is $3, but they usually have deals where you can get so many free with one regular price purchase. Let me PM you the link where you can check it out; if you sign up on my recommendation then I get 5 free CDs too!!

I've got the single cd of the Plugged Nickel and it burns.

Good.

Much as I really LOVE all of the "Plugged Nickel" material, I normally suggest a tiny bit a caution in picking up the whole box-set, unless someone has heard at least some of this material before. It's really not like anything else in the entire Miles catalogue.

Yeah, the PN set is not electric -- but in some ways, I think the material is just as challenging (and probably even more challenging, actually) than almost anything else Miles ever recorded (except, perhaps, for some of the live Miles recordings from the 70's). It's certainly stronger stuff (and I mean that in the "Jagermeister" sense of the word "strong"), than the live Miles recordings from 1967, or even Miles live 1969 (maybe). [ I'm speaking of bootlegs here, though there is one legit live Miles recording from 1969, now OOP though: 1969 Miles: Festiva de Juan Pins ]

By all means, dive in headfirst if you've already gotten your feet wet. But for those who haven't ever heard any of the "Plugged Nickel" material before, I might suggest requesting a burn of one of the discs from someone here on the board, before taking the plunge on the whole set. You'll probably love it, sure - but it's got a wicked bite to it - and it's probably not for everyone.

(Does anyone else concur with this viewpoint?? Do any of you with the PN set know where I'm coming from on this??)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Much as I really LOVE all of the "Plugged Nickel" material, I normally suggest a tiny bit a caution in picking up the whole box-set, unless someone has heard at least some of this material before. It's really not like anything else in the entire Miles catalogue. Yeah, it's not electric -- but in some ways, I think the material is just as challenging (and probably even more challenging, actually) than almost anything else Miles ever recorded (except, perhaps, for some of the live Miles recordings from the 70's). It's certainly stronger stuff (and I mean that in the "Jagermeister" sense of the word "strong"), than the live Miles recordings from 1967, or even (maybe) 1969.

(Does anyone else concur with this viewpoint?? Do any of you with the PN set know where I'm coming from on this??)

I agree -- I found it to be some of the most challenging Miles, largely because it doesn't have the obvious rock "cues" or rolling grooves of the electric. It's the kind of music you have to focus on mentally.

That said, it is definitely more conservative than either the 1967 or 1969 live recordings. (So I disagree with your claim that it is "stronger" than those.)

Guy

challenging? yes. rewarding? incredibly so. and much more so than most of miles' later work imo. even if someone did have trouble fully enjoying this material at first, i still wouldn't hesitate recommending it. i have no doubt that in the long run they will come to cherish it. how's that for an endorsement! ^_^

Edited by jazzshrink