Sun Records Blues CDs

I recently invested in the Sun Blues box, so am selling off my individual Sun Cds of blues.

IMHO, these early recordings are essential and beyond essential; like the nexus of the old country blues and the new electric; wild and crazy - and beautifully recorded with only a few exceptions; some of the best sound you will ever hear in 60+ year old recordings. And these are getting harder and harder to find. CONUS shipping is $4 first class for 1-2 cds; beyond that we will calc separately - prices do NOT include shipping, below; email me at allenlowe5@gmail.com

1) Black Music Originals V. 1    $10

2) Black Music Originals V. 3   $8

3) Lets Drink Some Juice and all Get loose  $12

4) Deep Harmony  (Sun Gospel)  $12

5) Boppin the Blues (Charly)  $6

6) Sun Records: The Ultimate Blues Collection (Varese Vintage, 3 cds) $16

7) Sun Records 25 More Blues Classics (Varese Vintage) $6

8) The Sun Blues Years $5

hmmmmm......actually, the prices will start to go up, probably.

Though I have no doubt that you, a man of discerning taste, own most of this, I have a sense that few here realize the significance of this music (which is why I just spent $200 on the box and now need to sell these to get some cash back).

Edited by AllenLowe

here's what's left:

1) Black Music Originals V. 1    $10

2) Black Music Originals V. 3   $8

3) Lets Drink Some Juice and all Get loose  $12   (THIS ONE IS AMAZING)

4) Deep Harmony  (Sun Gospel)  $12

7) Sun Records 25 More Blues Classics (Varese Vintage) $6

8) The Sun Blues Years $5

56 minutes ago, lipi said:

There's this Bear Family one that I've been drooling over, though of course Allen could be talking about yet another box:

https://www.bear-family.com/various-sun-blues-box-1950-1958-10-cd-box.html

The library where I work has this, turns out I already heard/had most of the good stuff, lots of filler IMHO, YMMV.

3 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

The library where I work has this, turns out I already heard/had most of the good stuff, lots of filler IMHO, YMMV.

What or who is it that you would call "fillers"? The less obvious artists/tracks? Isn't that a "problem" with lots of the larger boxes, including those of major artists/labels, up to BN or Trane and all their epigones? Nobody turns out only top notch material all the time and there almost invariably is a share of "also rans" (unless you are in an inveterate fan, which is who this kind of boxes usually is aimed at anyway - and diehards willo find something of interest in almost anybody and anything - which IMO is a valid point as long as THEY are satisfied, and if it wasn't so exceedingly obscure singles that at the time sold only some 100 or 200 copies wouldn't fetch those top dollars now ^_^)

YMMV (widely) indeed. ;)

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

What or who is it that you would call "fillers"? The less obvious artists/tracks? Isn't that a "problem" with lots of the larger boxes, including those of major artists/labels, up to BN or Trane and all their epigones? Nobody turns out only top notch material all the time and there almost invariably is a share of "also rans" (unless you are in an inveterate fan, which is who this kind of boxes usually is aimed at anyway - and diehards willo find something of interest in almost anybody and anything - which IMO is a valid point as long as THEY are satisfied, and if it wasn't so exceedingly obscure singles that at the time sold only some 100 or 200 copies wouldn't fetch those top dollars now ^_^)

YMMV (widely) indeed. ;)

Yes, anytime you're dealing with a box that's any kind of 'complete' there's going to be a filler issue but to my ears it's more of an issue here precisely because of Sam Phillips' preference for the raw and unfiltered - when there's no strong songwriting, instrumental virtuosity or other sorts of professionalism to fall back on. then the inspired stuff may well be quite special and wonderful but the uninspired is not going to be much of anything.  Maybe I was just hoping for some hidden gems I didn't find.  By comparison, the bulk of Blue Note's everyday work, or Stax mk I, is gloriously strong.

missed this earlier, sorry - what I've bought is the new Sun Blues Box issued by Bear Family.

as for filler....sure, there is  run-of-the-mill stuff here, but also MUCH more that is revelatory. Just intense, in-your-face, and beautifully recorded at the right place and time; the epitome of 'real' sound; you do feel like you are in the same room as these blues players.