BFT 142 Discussion

Daniel A

1 hour ago, felser said:

Did a quick preview, and sounds like some great listening, really looking forward to this one!  Track 1 is Jackie Mclean's "Appointment in Ghana" from "Jackie's Bag", one of my all-time favorite cuts!

Puzzled by your identification of Track 1 as McLean's "Appointment in Ghana", which I know well.  What I'm getting from BFT 42, Track 1 on the media player is hard bop tenor(s) with piano, bass and drums - very different from the sextet including alto and trumpet on the McLean album. Have I got my wires crossed?

Edited by BillF

Sometimes when I open the online player link I go to http://www.thomkeith.com/tkbft/tkbft.html , I am getting 13 cuts displaying, cut 1 is "Appointment in Ghana".  Other times, when I open the same link, I am getting the menu, and when I open BFT 142, I get 14 cuts, and the first cut is as described by BillF.  Not sure what's going on, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  Thom may know what I'm opening to get "Appointment in Ghana".

Edited by felser

15 minutes ago, felser said:

Sometimes when I open the online player link I go to http://www.thomkeith.com/tkbft/tkbft.html , I am getting 13 cuts displaying, cut 1 is "Appointment in Ghana".  Other times, when I open the same link, I am getting the menu, and when I open BFT 142, I get 14 cuts, and the first cut is as described by BillF.  Not sure what's going on, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  Thom may know what I'm opening to get "Appointment in Ghana".

BFT03 is what I am being sent to with "Appointment in Ghana".

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Then he's a very adept impersonator and I fell for your nefarious programming.

Did you rub your hands in glee that I was the first sucker to fall for it? ;)

I can see why you thought it was Gordon, but it wasn't a concious set-up. I think having heard this player in other contexts helps not to make that connection.

I haven't listened through everything completely just yet, and so far I'm generally stumped by most of the tracks, but track 14 has me intrigued.  That's Kenny Burrell on guitar, which means I should probably own this... but I'm coming up blank on what this is.  The prankish little ending sounds very familiar to me, but I still can't quite place this.  The rather stiff bossa rhythm and sound quality suggest to me a 1960's vintage (perhaps mid-to-late 60's based on KB's tone).  I have to think that Burrell is not the leader here, but I generally have a pretty good handle on who he recorded with, so...  ?  The problem is, he recorded with just about everybody back in those years.  Frustrating as always, but that's part of the fun.  Back to listening.

Ah, #3 is Hampton Hawes' beautiful rendition of "My Romance" from his album "The Challenge".  Fabulous.

#6 is also very lovely.  Johnny Mandel's "A Time For Love", voiced and arranged in wonderful fashion.  Not sure yet who this might be, but I'm interested to find out.

#8 is very groovy too.  I have less of a handle on what and who this is, but I sure like it.

#9 is of course Body And Soul.  I don't sense anything too distinctive or original here, but it's certainly well played.  Until I reached the end of the track and realized it was a live recording, the sound quality had me puzzled as to when and where it was recorded.  I'm less distracted by that now, but still haven't heard anything from the tenor nor the rhythm section that would clue me in.  Worth another listen, for sure.

#10 is something I'm enjoying also.  Puts me in the mind of Brasil '66, but more contemporary in terms of the group's sound here.  I tried a few searches (including the lyrics), and came up with a complete zero.  Puzzling.

Edited by Jim R

Only one listen through but I am pretty sure I won't be identifying anything once again.  A couple tracks do sound familiar though.

The vibes player on track 8 has an interesting sound.  I would like to hear him/her is a smaller group setting without the orchestra, which to me kind of gets in the way.  Looking forward to an ID on this one.

12 hours ago, Jim R said:

I haven't listened through everything completely just yet, and so far I'm generally stumped by most of the tracks, but track 14 has me intrigued.  That's Kenny Burrell on guitar, which means I should probably own this... but I'm coming up blank on what this is.  The prankish little ending sounds very familiar to me, but I still can't quite place this.  The rather stiff bossa rhythm and sound quality suggest to me a 1960's vintage (perhaps mid-to-late 60's based on KB's tone).  I have to think that Burrell is not the leader here, but I generally have a pretty good handle on who he recorded with, so...  ?  The problem is, he recorded with just about everybody back in those years.  Frustrating as always, but that's part of the fun.  Back to listening.

8 hours ago, Jim R said:

Ah, #3 is Hampton Hawes' beautiful rendition of "My Romance" from his album "The Challenge".  Fabulous.

Right on both accounts! And the "stiff" bossa rhythm is part of the reason I included this (more on that later). I just love when this drummer plays bossa, and I'm always fond of shuffle bossa rhythms. :)

8 hours ago, Jim R said:

#9 is of course Body And Soul.  I don't sense anything too distinctive or original here, but it's certainly well played.  Until I reached the end of the track and realized it was a live recording, the sound quality had me puzzled as to when and where it was recorded.  I'm less distracted by that now, but still haven't heard anything from the tenor nor the rhythm section that would clue me in.  Worth another listen, for sure.

So another Dexaholic hears #9 and has no reaction like mine?  :o

Guess it's time for a q-tip, Debrox (tm) and an appointment for a hearing aid adjustment.

7 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Guess it's time for a q-tip, Debrox (tm) and an appointment for a hearing aid adjustment.

Glad I didn't have to say it.  :P  ;)  You probably just jumped a little too quickly to a conclusion...  something I never do on BFT's, of course.  :rolleyes:

On 2016-01-04 at 6:11 AM, Jim R said:

#6 is also very lovely.  Johnny Mandel's "A Time For Love", voiced and arranged in wonderful fashion. Not sure yet who this might be, but I'm interested to find out.

To me, this arranger is unsurpassed in making a tune sound so luxurious, like the soundtrack to a movie with an endless budget. It's also beautiful on a musical level.

12 minutes ago, Hot Ptah said:

Track 14 is "Love Come Take Me Again" from Hank Jones' 1963 album, 'Here's Love." With Hank are Kenny Burrell, Milt Hinton and Elvin Jones.

Quite right!

As stated above, I'm fascinated by Elvin Jones as a bossa drummer, since it's so obviously out of his usual bag and yet he sounds very much like himself. There are always slight time shifts back and forth in his playing that somehow make it sound both loose and "stiff" (for lack of a better word) at the same time. Another great example is Corcovado on Grant Green's 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' album.

2 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

Track 14 is "Love Come Take Me Again" from Hank Jones' 1963 album, 'Here's Love." With Hank are Kenny Burrell, Milt Hinton and Elvin Jones.

Damn!  I don't know whether to hug you or smack you.  :lol:  This one had been bugging me for days.  Not only do I own it (I knew I recognized that ending), but it's in my iTunes library, which I searched a couple of times.  I guess I saw "Hank Jones" as the leader, and just didn't think that fit for some reason, and didn't listen to it.  Anyway, nice get, and I'd be curious to know how/why you recognized this, if there's any particular reason.  "Here's Love" is a pretty obscure album, which I seem to recall not being available on CD for a long time.

1 hour ago, Jim R said:

Damn!  I don't know whether to hug you or smack you.  :lol:  This one had been bugging me for days.  Not only do I own it (I knew I recognized that ending), but it's in my iTunes library, which I searched a couple of times.  I guess I saw "Hank Jones" as the leader, and just didn't think that fit for some reason, and didn't listen to it.  Anyway, nice get, and I'd be curious to know how/why you recognized this, if there's any particular reason.  "Here's Love" is a pretty obscure album, which I seem to recall not being available on CD for a long time.

I have the CD and remembered it.

A few in here that I loved.  I few in here that I loathed.  All new to my ears which is always a good thing.

Track 1 - Heavy 50s Coltrane influence.  I would think this is more modern, but the sound suggests that it’s closer to that period.  Sounds like one of the disciples of Garzone/Bergonzi.

Track 2 - Reminscent of Woody Shaw.  I’m guessing Terumasa HIno, though, because I don’t recognize this.

Track 3 - My Romance (one of my all-time favorite standards).  No guess.

Track 4 - I like this, but can’t say what it reminds me of.  A bit like Mike Westbrook, but more in-the-tradition.  

Track 5 - At first, I was positive that was Harold Land.  Now I’m nearly as convinced that it isn’t.  A bit too brutish for Land in terms of tone.  

Track 6 - Wednesday afternoons at my grandmother’s house as a kid… that means it strikes me as very Muzak-ish.  

Track 7 - This works very well for me.  A very post-Coltrane feel reminiscent of some of the later David Murray projects.  I’m a sucker for percussion.  Didn’t care for the vocalizing. 

Track 8 - All in on this from the outset.  No guess.

Track 9 - Body and Soul.  Very dark tenor.  Somewhat reminiscent of Giuffre.  Love this.

Track 10 - Eh… not feeling this so much; too Muzak-ish again.  

Track 11 - This is odd.  It’s catching my attention, but seems very fragmented; seems very influenced by the late-60s Miles bands. 

Track 12 - Very Rhodesie.  Sounds like Mark Murphy, but no so much I’ll commit.  I’m in, though.  No guesses.  Can’t remember the last time I had such a s***y run!

Track 13 - I like this a lot.  Reminiscent of a lot of the Kenny Wheeler stuff.  Sadly, I’m struggling to hear this because some knucklehead is testing the PA in the next room.  Seems modern, but very personal.  Great.   Now they’re testing the guitar; guess I’ll finish listening later.  At 3:45, that has GOT to be Kenny!  

Track 14 - Silly but fun.  Late Wes?  

On January 1, 2016 at 4:18 PM, felser said:

No clue.  I'm unable to recreate that.